Tensioner or Not

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
As you that know me may have realized I have sworn off chain tensioners (KIT TYPE) since my very first build.
I have had the patience and good luck to make do without one. Now, I can make very easy adjustments when the frame has the sliding dropouts. I can always make a happy chain on both sides even a chain that has stretched over time can be made better by shimming that rear mtr mount… a multi speed bike is even easier. Higher quality MB frames with the vertical drops are another story all together. I have always had a tough time, after the motor settles in and the chain stretches as a result of normal use. 2 bikes in particular run with a 1 to 1 1/4 inch play. Both with hub adapters and 44ts. I use #41 chain on em all which is heavy and allows lots of lateral forgiveness. I've never thrown a chain.
Ok...
Well the weather here has finally turned warmer. I was able to go out in the garage and install a Turbobuick tensioner on one of the bikes. Very slick install and works excellent! I opted to use the Mapbike custom cut roller - tracks perfectly straight and rolls smooth. Didn't notice a lot of pedaling resistance at all. But I don't pedal much anyway.
If you Need a tensioner take a look at this one. Should you require a smaller diam. wheel take a look at Mapbike's custom cuts. I highly recommend.

Attachments

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I say if you can get away with not using the tensioner at all that's the best bet. Less friction and less things to go wrong, but on my previous build I used it so the chain wouldn't rub so there's that.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I say if you can get away with not using the tensioner at all that's the best bet. Less friction and less things to go wrong, but on my previous build I used it so the chain wouldn't rub so there's that.
I'm pretty good at getting things just right without them. I got 2 with vert. dropouts. One with a coaster brake and anothr with multi speed. Really tired of the slap- These I'll use!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Not suppose to have slap if you are doing it right! Suppose to be as tight as when using a chain tensioner sometimes you have to buy a half link to get it the right length

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Not suppose to have slap if you are doing it right! Suppose to be as tight as when using a chain tensioner sometimes you have to buy a half link to get it the right length
I built 15 bikes in 5 years. I build them right. Your half link is called a connecting link. Been there done that c'mon guy. Not looking for help right now, thanks tho.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I built 15 bikes in 5 years. I build them right. Your half link is called a connecting link. Been there done that c'mon guy. Not looking for help right now, thanks tho.
Not trying to give help. I'm just saying you shouldn't have chain slap if you do it right. Just giving my opinion on your thread titled "tensioner or not" and I say not if you can get away with it. No need to get all offended

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
That's a master link and a connecting link where I'm from and has always been my understanding. We people in Maine torque funny sometime. I've been wrong before. Let's allow somebody to pipe in.

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
That's a good question on the tension'r or not I know a lightweight pair or bell bicycle will pull the aluminum mounts as easily as a heavy 415 or 420 motorized bicycle chain.The light chain I doubled up broke shortly after I installed it. The next option is a 1/4'' thick steel mounting plate, I've seen a few jack shaft setups none use the welded mount but I'd not doubt the mount will need to be weld somewhere tension"r or not. Hey some guy's can build'em all day and not fix a single one that needs to be fixed big surprise,yeah well here's a picture of one in process of being fixed it's a rarity far as I've seen.

Attachments

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
What's the fuss...sometimes you need a chain-guide; for tensioning or guiding the chain around a particularly difficult chain-stay. Sometimes you need a quigley (we call a half-link a "quigley" down my way). Big whoop. Do what you gotta do and enjoy.