Best Headlight?

GoldenMotor.com

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Tried to search "best headlight" but couldn't search with both words so I am asking the group which headlight is the best, brightest and will last a little while on the batteries?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the best bet would be LED as they are 6 volt for the big ones. And they are getting new ones all the time. They will last the longest on batteries. Just got to look for the lumenes for brightness. Just bought a flash lite with 1,000 lumenes and is that thing bright . I would go to sports center or home center,or farm supply and just look at what they have. And i am sure you can find ton's online............Curt

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Cree, even DIY. I use two cree LED's taken from head band flash lights. I connect them directly to my sturmey archer generator hub. THe hub is ac so they flicker under 5 mph. A cree can handle the generator AC without a resistor. Thousands of miles on mine. I run the cree's off one AC phase and running lamps on the other AC phase.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Boy those Cree lights must be great. I see 1092 watching the one redneck82 sent me.

bowljoman, that sounds really what I need since I have a sturmey archer generator hub on my front wheel hooked up to nothing. Where did you get the head band flashlights? Any pictures of your set up?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What is best depends a lot on where you predominantly ride. If you're on well lit streets you won't need as bright of a light as streets with no lighting. So consider where do you ride at night. I live in a small town where all the streets are lit up at night.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Cree, even DIY. I use two cree LED's taken from head band flash lights. I connect them directly to my sturmey archer generator hub. THe hub is ac so they flicker under 5 mph. A cree can handle the generator AC without a resistor. Thousands of miles on mine. I run the cree's off one AC phase and running lamps on the other AC phase.
Could get a small rectifier and change it to DC..............Curt

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
What is best depends a lot on where you predominantly ride. If you're on well lit streets you won't need as bright of a light as streets with no lighting. So consider where do you ride at night. I live in a small town where all the streets are lit up at night.
Jerry, My main concern is being seen during the day. Been there and done that when some one pulls out in front of me because they are on a cellphone with blackened side windows or see me as just a bicycle rider, capable of stopping on a dime.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Jerry, My main concern is being seen during the day. Been there and done that when some one pulls out in front of me because they are on a cellphone with blackened side windows or see me as just a bicycle rider, capable of stopping on a dime.
Should have one of the blinking lights for that. Yep there are alot of people think just because its a bike they tend to ignore you..........Curt