manual clutch for kt100

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I have been looking at finding the right clutch so i can run my kt100 engine on my bicycle. I found "downsbrosracing'' a mike downs designed a manual cone type clutch that looks like it would work in this application i even found the exploded diagram of it. but the website is down and the number to reach him, i cant reach him.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My understanding is they only made 100 or so and then folded, but this is rumor.
I seriously doubt it would hold the kind of power the KT will produce anyway....
Never heard of a manual Kart racing clutch for these motors. You want a manual, you move up to shifterkarts.
The KT classes all use centrifugal as far as I know.
But good luck!

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I had the same problem when I first tried to order too. I had to emailed them when I order mine. Have you tried to contact them via email to see if they still have any left.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sure could, Barn and good question. A manual clutch is just an option that could be desirable for, as Josh said, bump or pedal starting. Also ya can rev the engine for quicker off the line, feathering/disengaging when under stress/relief of a hill, etc. Could ditch the pull starts altogether with a manual.

But is just an option and with every thing there are trade offs and compromises. A cent. clutch is still mass produced and available for very good reasons. And they are just plain easier.

Just my thunks on it.

I still want a manual though, lol.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been waiting 30 years for a decent manual clutch for single shaft output engines.
Still waiting.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Same here, that's why I scooped up one of the clutches the brothers made when they first came out, just to have. I have a slew of Kart engines- KT's, Comers, HPVs, Maxter. Like Dan, I was thinking of bump starting for simplicity and ease of starting. All have taper shafts so the clutch would have to go on a Jackshaft. I do have a few 6.5 clones and a Briggs World Formula that have straight shafts that the clutch would go straight on.

Last edited:

DEVILSorchard

Jan 1, 2015
Calgary
lots of motorcycles had small separate transmissions. Most harley's are still made like this but they're a bit beastly for a MB. I know BSA used a smaller aluminum trans, those are still probably quite heavy but they did make a lot of pre-unit 250cc and smaller bikes. There might be a suitable trans a motorcycle of that vintage.