Best Case Scenario For Pred. Build?

GoldenMotor.com

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
I am planning on my next build, a harbor frieght Predator engine build, and I'm trying to get started. My budget is $900.

Bike- Any good suggestions on a bike? Nothing to expensive but nothing that will split in half. Thinking about a huffy cranbrook (FRAME).

Engine- I'm split on the engine. I'm looking around and a lot of people are using 79cc engines, I really want to go for a 212, can this be done? I really want the extra power a 212 would provide. It is bigger, of course, so I'm wondering if it will go in without frame modifications.

Transmission: Looking around and everyone is doing something different. I'm thinking these two:
http://ezmotorbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CIMG24671.jpg

or

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...Store_Code=A&Product_Code=2600&Category_Code=

Open to suggestions.

Thank you all, I'm new to the four stroke world but exited to have one.

-Zane Smith

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
79cc motor are a lot more flexible as it'll fit in almost on any cruiser frame out there. The 212 is huge and getting it to fit on a frame required mods, unless you can find a large frame (Firmstrong Chief). AGK uses it, and i think there are one oldtimer uses it. I'm also using it too. That frame is large and required mininmal mod.
There are a few people that have a 212. Scotto, glenbo, racie, i think oldtimer35 also has a 212. And i'm in the process of reworking mine. I have both the cvt and a hillard clutch on hand to try them out when i'm done. CVT first until the belt died out, then the hillard clutch.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did someone say 212?

The first HF 212cc I built fit rather tight in a stock Felt beach cruiser frame with no modifications to the frame. Although the fit was tight, I was still able to remove the the cylinder head without removing the engine from the bike. The other plus was I could also remove the valve cover to adjust the valves without much hassle at the races, which brings us to the point......what are you building a bike with this big of an engine for?

I don't mean to dissuade you from building such a machine but that is a pretty big engine to be putting on a bicycle. If you are building a race bike for a specific large 4-stroke class I say go ahead but beware.....everything needs to be beefed up in the drivetrain dept.

If you're building the bike for the street, you may want to use an engine of smaller size that is more practical for all intents and purposes. I find my 99cc Predator build just right for all aspects of street riding.

Just some food for thought.....

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
This was my 212 in a piece of s?$t macardi frame that I got for $25. Had to add gussets for extra frame support. It was stuffed in there and was a tight fit.

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Thank you all! I'm learning a whole lot already.
So, 99cc is discontinued and the 79cc is not available in California. The 212 pred. sounds like a big project, even though fun, It may not be what I need.

I'm looking for both a street bike and race bike for I'm not racing (I'm not looking for a motorcycle)

I've been looking into some of these lifan engines used on pit bikes, they seem low profile and the 4 speed is appealing. What do you guys think of that?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Engi...al-transmission-4-Speed-1-down/850564166.html

But... Is this crossing the fine line of bicycle and motorcycle?
-Zane Smith

Last edited:

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
Thank you all! I'm learning a whole lot already.
So, 99cc is discontinued and the 79cc is not available in California. The 212 pred. sounds like a big project, even though fun, It may not be what I need.

I'm looking for both a street bike and race bike for I'm not racing (I'm not looking for a motorcycle)

I've been looking into some of these lifan engines used on pit bikes, they seem low profile and the 4 speed is appealing. What is you guy's say on that?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Engi...al-transmission-4-Speed-1-down/850564166.html

But... Is this crossing the fine line of bicycle and motorcycle?
-Zane Smith
If you order the HF 79 on their web site they will ship it from SC to you in CA. I ordered one two weeks ago and it is in the bike as I type.

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
Sweet bruce, how do you like the 79cc?
I don't know how I like the 79cc motor yet as I have not run it yet. I ordered a clutch that has not arived yet. I have a much modifyed 212 pred in a Sportsman flyer. If the 79 is anything like the 212 then I will like it. The 79cc bike is for one of my grand kids.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Zane,

I know this is an older thread, but if you are still planning on going with the 79cc you will love it. I had one on one of my recent builds and it ran great!

I am currently building another one and will be mounting it vertically. AGK does sell upgrades for the engine and they are well worth it, and very affordable.

Good luck on whatever route you choose to go....

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Yes they do ship the 79cc to CA. as I just recently finished a build for one of my sons.

The bike runs very nice.
That looks sick! How do you like the flexi-tube exhaust? I've been thinking of getting one for my bike (HS142). What's better/cooler about it?

On topic: My current bike has a Firmstrong Bruiser frame and the EZM Q-matic transmission. Both are awesome - the bike frame is sturdy and sexy-looking, and the transmission just runs like a spotted ape. Getting my engine mounted just right so that everything else lined up was a bit of a task in itself (mostly because I insisted on engineering a jackshaft setup...which, surprisingly, works pretty dang well) but that was with almost exclusively stock components (a little bit of angle grinder and arc welder here and there...). There's plenty of room to spare in the frame, I'll bet I could have easily put a Pred 79cc engine in there instead of the HS 142. The Firmstrong Bruiser comes in single-speed and 7-speed flavors, on bikebuyers.net.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That looks sick! How do you like the flexi-tube exhaust? I've been thinking of getting one for my bike (HS142). What's better/cooler about it?
Thanks. The flexible exhaust is a good way to go as it gives a deep, throaty sound to either engine and good power as well. One of the big pluses is that it can be routed pretty much however you want it which is good for keeping it away from and burning your leg.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Take off and top end will all depend on gear ratio/reduction. If you purchase the jackshaft set up that AGK sells for the 79/99cc it is 12.44:1. Take off is decent and top end, depending on what upgrades you have, is in the neighborhood of 35mph...give or take.

You can change the gear ratio by changing clutch, input, output, and axle sprocket. This is something I am toying with now on my current build....