Air filter element

GoldenMotor.com

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Well, I've searched and searched on here but can't find an answer. If I overlooked it please let me know where the thread is.

Here's my question: Can anyone recommend a good material to fashion an air filter element to replace the stock one on the NT carb? The one that comes with these little engines seems horribly porous. I can almost read the newspaper through it. I know I could just purchase a better air cleaner altogether. But being on an extremely tight budget, I have to do what I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am assuming that you have a chinagirl.
So long as you keep the element oiled, and chinagirls tend to oil the element for you, it will filter the air just fine. The air gets all swirled around and flows rough through the element and the dirt and dust sticks to the oil as it passes through.
Just wash, dry and re-oil it from time to time to keep it from getting clogged up.

You don't want an element with really fine or very tightly spaced holes in it as it would be too restrictive to the air flowing through it.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Hey, thanks for the reply GN. Yes, it's a China Doll. Guess I failed to mention that. OOOPS. And after what you said and thinking about it, I guess since it's an updraft breather, the swirling current would be a rough flow. As far as cleaning it, and it re-oiling itself, I guess once it is cleaned I'll just let it set out overnight to dry completely. Thanks again, my friend. You da man.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pantie hose, (nylons) work okay too but as Gearnut said, the stock element works great. No need to oil it. The 2 stroke will do that for you. Unless you ride in a very dusty atmosphere you shouldn't have to clean it too often either.

Tom

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
No dusty conditions here in East Central Illinois. Was a little leery of it at first as it reminds me of one of those plastic pot scrubbers. But I guess it'll be okay. Thanks again, guys.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pantie hose, (nylons) work okay too but as Gearnut said, the stock element works great. No need to oil it. The 2 stroke will do that for you. Unless you ride in a very dusty atmosphere you shouldn't have to clean it too often either.

Tom
Just remember the tag goes in the front. lol laff

spyne27

May 20, 2015
California
the black fabric used to line flower beds so the weeds stay out has been pretty good so far. Thin, light yet strong and enough of a fine mesh that it catches all its supposed to, but doesnt restrict air flow....so far, so good