First Four Stroker

GoldenMotor.com

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Since I semi retired I have been going a little nutz with this Motorised bike thing. Oh well keeps me outta the bars, kinda.

This bike is going to be something that I have copied many of the ideas of many of the fine posters on this board. Thanks to all.

I wanted to do a four stroke and make it a big motor kinda bike but being the law abiding, upstanding citizen that I am, decided to go legal with the HS 50.
Found a steel frame and and put the Master Card to work. Worry about paying for it later, cuz this is important stuff. Started getting parts last week and began building yesterday

Spent most of the day making the rear wheel extenders. I may have gotten it a bit to low, but we will wait and see, I have not welded them yet. I have not decided on gussets or strut kinda things for the back axle? Today I added the cheapo springer and the drum brake.

Made a bracket for a rear BMX brake in addition to the coaster. I like to stop. Still need to weld it in.

Still plenty to do going to cut down the seat post and either weld a post to the frame more rearward or get a lay back post in the chopped post hole.

I wanna make the HS look better so I am in the process of adding fins. I am using brass plates from the HDW store. I will have seven or eight when done with a heavy plate of some sort at the top. I am also going to try the coffee can flywheel shroud as well. This is what I got done today. Pretty tough work without the proper cutting tool. I think Home depot tomorrow.

I am always open to suggestions, comments or constructive criticism. Please feel free to add some as I have taken all of the ideas from this board.

Shameless plug:
If any of Y'all are near near Chicago and need anything motorized bicycle related, you would love Thunderchief Cycles. Great guy, always has the stuff we need.

Thanks!

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Looking good so far Pluto! I like it. I have already made the rear dropout extensions for my build and will be cutting them this week. I am very interested with the outcome of this build!!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Got to watch this build,se some new and different ideas going here. I have GHX50 Honda. Sure looks good so far awesome frame.................Curt

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Mike. Yes I saw your pics of the drop extensions, part of my inspiration. Mine are crude compared at this point, may fancy them up some but tough when all I have to cut with is an angle grinder.LOL...Still thinking on additional support, any ideas?

Think I will spend some time on the motor today. One problem though is that spray paint is banned in Chicago and a drive to the burbs in rainy weather is a Mother. Oh well maybe use a brush.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It's real shiney, Pluto!
Looks like you are having great fun! :)

IMO
You might have some fellow with a tig welder graft an axle bracket onto the rear of that frame. Stuff that is bolted tends to get wiggly.
And that brake bracket, also...

Best
rc

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
What rusty said.....once you are certain the extensions are how you want them and everything is true....leave them bolted in place and then have them welded.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Progress has been a bit slow, the rear drop outs took a lot more time than I had anticipated. That and getting the brake arm beat into submission was a battle.LOL...

Motor coming along nicely, still lots of little things to do but I think the idea show now.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
I am either going to have to do a lot of practicing or send this out to be welded.

Think I will add a gusset in front of the axle as well.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Dan, I sure am having fun playing bicycle mechanic...

Busy today got the exhaust sorted out. Used china girl parts an some conduit I found in the alley.

Also got started on the tank. I hate the flange and bondo is cheaper than a new tank. hope it turns out...

Still lots to do.

Radio said we got the first snow here today. I did not see any but thats good enough reason for me to stay put in the garage tomorrow.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
great going--
suggest--- if you have not already ---reinforce the tank studs by welding or at the very least lead soldering --
they are a definite flaw in the kit package and you do not want to have to do that once a leak starts

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Looking awesome: yep been spitten snow for a week here off and on....Had a good blanket but all melted......Curt

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks guys! Not any particular style just kinda going along and having some fun.

I would love to do a replica of an old bike some day. I guess keep practicing.

Cheers,

David

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Okey, got the lines of the bike worked out. Back wheel stretched 2 3/4" up and 4" back. Sits pretty low but pedals work fine as long as not leaning too much. Nirve apes up front. Still waiting on a black neck so the apes will be a little lower in the end. Cant decide if I should cut the fork threads off to lower apes even more or just cover with black decorative material. Something like a reworked hockey puck for a softer look.

What to you think? too low? gonna weld soon and I am kinda wondering about the stretch...

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Scott. I finally have the welding done and am working on the tank.

When done I will have four tanks to choose from. Can't make up my mind. Filled and painted the stock tank but think a cylinder tank behind the seat would look better. I made a four inch round one and it is too big. working on a 3 in. one now. I also could just use a stock tank, no think I will keep playing with other options.

I started an in frame tank, got it cut and taped together but the sheet metal I had on hand is too thin. At least I got some practice in pattern making. LOL...

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Here is the 4 in. round I made. It is too large son working on a 3 in. just like it.This one is not finished yet just primed and letting the tank sealer I used dry. Nice tank though and am sure I will find some place to put it.

This is the mock up for the in frame tank. The metal is way too thin to use but a good learning experience. I spot welded with electric welder them planned to braze the seems. Any suggestions on the proper thickness for a solid built tank?

The Masterpiece. LOL... This is what I am using so I can ride while fiddling with the other tanks.

I have a lot more time in this bike than anticipated but it should be nice when finished. The stretched wheel base gives it a very smooth ride albeit kinda low.

I need to get to cracking cause the motor for the Hybrid gas/electric project showed up yesterday. Yea... I have the rear motor and electrical system, trying to find reasonably price front wheel motor with re-gen capability. I am very open to suggestions as I have been reading all the Hybrid threads.

Thanks for looking

David