Pics of my street cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Here are some pics of my current project so far.

I have a SBP shifter kit on this thing and wanted to point out some important modifications I made to make it work better.

For the sprockets attached to the jack shaft I used a hack saw and cut 4 notches on the jack shaft so I can use snap rings to prevent any kind of lateral movement of the sprockets on the jack shaft. Originally I followed the instructions with the kit and used a file to make a notch on the shaft for the set screw that is 90 degrees offset from the set screw for the key on the sprocket. That notch was supposed to prevent lateral movement but in my case the set screw vibrated loose somehow (I did have thread lock on it) and the chain derailed off the sprocket and jammed. This caused the hoot gearbox to self destruct on my 1st build. I have a snap rings behind the sprockets to prevent the jack shaft from moving laterally and snap rings on the outside of the sprockets to keep them from moving laterally. I'm also using snap rings to prevent the 48 tooth sprocket from moving on the crank shaft laterally. I've had too many occasions when the chain derailed off the front sprocket while driving down the road due to that. The single set screw in the freewheel adapter was just too inadequate to hold that in place on this wide 3 piece crank set. On the original build the freewheel adapter was on so tight that I had to use a pulley puller just to get it off to switch to a different size chain ring. On this crank I sanded the crank shaft so I can easily slide the freewheel adapter and sprocket off and change the ring and lube the freewheel. Those snap rings work beautifully here as well.

I replaced the front v brakes with a drum brake and replaced the single wall rims with double wall rims. I also have a heavy duty thorn resistant tube. The 1st build the v brakes were rubbing against the rim until it caused a front tire blow out at 30 mph. I wish for that to never happen again.

I use the cup holder when I do my secret shopper evaluations at some of the local fast food places.

One thing I am particularly paranoid about is theft. Anything I can do to slow a thief down I will do. I put a keyed switch for the engine. It won't start without it unless one disassembles the shroud to cut the wires.

I also installed a very sensitive motion detecting alarm under the seat. When armed it squeals like a stuck pig from any type of sudden vibration.

I have most of the tools I used to assemble this bike in the back pouches on the panniers and a tire repair kit in the back pouch of the trunk bag. I lay the tools out on a canvass and roll them up. and they fit perfectly in the compartments with room to spare.

I'm half way done with this project. Next are the lights, turn signals, horn, and some kind of generator to charge a battery.

Attachments

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Thanks. Now to get those lights on. Oh here some pics of the horn I'm going to install. Funny how things kinda get twisted around in the translation in China. Needless to say I can't wait until I finally get my Deluxe Compact Hore installed and working.

Attachments