1st of two builds Cruiser SS Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
This is the first build that I have done. My brother is not far behind with his. Planning the first run tomorrow. I have heard that running with out a chain guide/tensioner can be a good and bad thing. It looks like the play I have is reasonable. Anything that anyone can see with this build that's not quite right? I am going to drop the rear current gas tank for an alum barrel tank once I get it running. Still wondering if a boost bottle is worth it. Have to say this site REALLY helped with the whole process with advice and tech examples. THANKS!

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Your chain still looks a bit loose. You can easily adjust it by slipping shims cut from thin sheet metal in the rear motor mount. Just loosen the front and rear and stack shims in the rear block until it's right. Takes a bit of trial and error since it changes slightly when you tighten things down, but you should take the time to make the chain as perfect as possible for durability.
I'd also make sure the fuel line cannot get into the spinning wheel with zip-ties or whatever.
Love the clean lines the rear tank gives!
You guys are doing just fine, have fun!

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
The engine kit was from bike berry and it is the flying horse 48cc. I went with that due to the laws in AZ. I want to ride around town and I think that is the highest cc in Phx metro area that is legal with out registering, motorcycle license, insurance and all that noise. This weekend going to finish the motor mount shim job and take it out. My brothers is almost done as well, will post that then. I have not read anything bad about the motor, I'll post what issues I have if any this weekend.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Took this thing out today after working out some small adjustments and MAN!!!! This is the most fun I have had in years. These things are great. It was around 110 degrees out and I didn't care. I just kept finding a reason to turn around and head back out every time I got close to home. My brother has his running so we were both out. I will post photo's of his bike soon. What a blast!!! About 30 mph at peak speed for now. Going to break it in for a little while before I push it too much.

KyMoonshine

Aug 26, 2013
Central Kentucky
I have the exact same bike and plan to order a kit from ThatsDax soon....where did you get the rear tank? it really is an excellent way to keep it clean..love it...

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
"I have the exact same bike and plan to order a kit from ThatsDax soon....where did you get the rear tank? it really is an excellent way to keep it clean..love it... "

I picked up the tank from Bike Berry with the rack. Pretty cheap. I think I am going with a alum keg style round rear tank. Just like the look. If you are interested I may be getting rid of the tank for the change up. It works well but I am having some kind of weird vacume issue that I am going to try to figure out over the weekend by drilling the cap and see what happens.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
This is where I am at now. Pretty happy with the bike. The only thing I may do now is polish the new tank. I thought I would like the old worn look but letting that set in for now. I did a couple mods on the engine and added a mirror. They really shake like **** when you get going. Almost to where they are not worth it. But a blurred car in the rearview is better than the head wrench I guess. Max speed only 25 mph (48cc) and 55 mpg. Anything besides a new exhaust to improve those last two stats?

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Wait until you have at least three or four tanks of fuel through the engine before you worry about hop ups.
These engines require 2-300 miles to break in and give full power consistently.
Once you get it broken in, a tuned pipe is the best bang for your bucks.