blower

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I was considering getting an airfilter and cutting out the center and adding a computer fan to it with an on/off switch on the handlebars. something like a ram air so that air will be forced into the carb. has anyone given that a try on a 2 stroke engine? I'm wondering it it will help at all.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Cheap/free PC fans aside - one of the reasons I went hybrid is after researching all possible methods of forced air induction for our small engines, I came to the conclusion that I'd get more than twice the "boost" for half the money without any strain to the engine and far less complication if I simply added an electric hub drive instead. As I used a 49cc four stroke, I even had aftermarket parts available such as fuel injection, possible blowers & even actual turbos that were almost small enough & having valves, I didn't even need worry about blow through.

I could spend thousands to throw a rod, or spend a coupla hundred and get the torque I wanted...

Tough call rotfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLTLRx8sTI

*shrug* still, I do love that spooling up sound... I guess ya can't have everythin' lol

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey thanks for the reply. it was just sorta a pipe dream anyway. I'll look more into tuning the engine correctly. it seems to bog down at WOT. Don't know whats causing it, figured i needed more air or somethin.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
If you've seen the boost bottles and how they are hooked into the stem
between carb and jug I've often wondered what would happen
with a little nitrous oxide (whip it cartridges) hooked up that way
get to wot then boom! now would it be a good boom or a bad boom? ;)

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
That tiny fan isn't enough....you'll need Lots of air like from and rc ducted fan...hard to do right on 2 strokes...easier on 4

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
putting a hand over the intake, one feels a LOT of air moving - not sure how much fan would be needed to supply even twice that amount

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
its more volume than most people realize ..ram air works somewhat on cars but is dependent on speed of vehicle, so there always waiting on the kick.....nitrous shoots in oxy then you need more fuel at once. its still fun to play with....we did it to a gocart before, the electric turbo thing

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yes, you would need quite a powerful fan. these motors are 4 cubic inches, which at 8500 RPM would be sucking in about 10 CFM (quick calculation, there are many more variables such as use of reeds, ease of flow, port sizes, expansion chamber, etc.) . Now there are 12v computer fans that easily blow more than that (around 90-110CFM for a good one) but you also want a fan with high static pressure (something not alot of fans list). I have no idea how static pressures work, IIRC its a complex formula based on air pressure, blade and funnel design, motor power, etc. but in a nutshell I think it means the ability of the fan to keep ramming air into an enclosed area until pressure backflow overcomes the abilities of the fan.

Sounds to me like a reed valve + fan may be your best bet as it will give the fan the longest amount of time to ram air in before the piston descends on the transfer phase (not to mention a reed valve + boost port + fan means that at BDC the fan would just keep ramming air into the engine, this could cause ridiculous amounts of blow-through and kill your milage... pretty easily.

A real turbo will do the same, has incredible static pressure due to its compressor design, will produce an immense amount of blow-through but because of the resistance it introduces into the exhaust, also acts as a power-valve variable exhaust, not only preventing blow-through but giving you ridiculous amounts of power throughout your whole RPM range, not just the top end (though the top will obviously be more noticeable). 2 Strokes have commonly seen 2-4x extra power from the use of a turbo because of this phenomenon. Could you imagine a 30hp HT?

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was considering getting an airfilter and cutting out the center and adding a computer fan to it with an on/off switch on the handlebars. something like a ram air so that air will be forced into the carb. has anyone given that a try on a 2 stroke engine? I'm wondering it it will help at all.
Ram air doesn't work on our small low speed motors.

Where would you get the power from to run a high powered fan?
There is no free lunch.

Big Boy Cycles is one of the few that have made a 110 cc 4 stroke EFI
turbo set up.
Very complicated and I don't know if they have it running right yet since
they unveiled it at the April 13th race.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
If you've seen the boost bottles and how they are hooked into the stem
between carb and jug I've often wondered what would happen
with a little nitrous oxide (whip it cartridges) hooked up that way
get to wot then boom! now would it be a good boom or a bad boom? ;)
You can't just add N2O and get more power. By itself, all nitrous oxide will do is lean the mixture SEVERLY. You must also add extra fuel. If you could work out the jetting needed, this would be a good starting point.....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nos-05029nos

Read carefully, note the included jets are for 20, 25 and 30 HP. You'd want way less than that if you're starting with an engine that makes single digit horsepower numbers. Also note where it says "it will be necessary to jet carburetors a little richer because no additional fuel source is used".

Buy a couple of extra engines to sacrifice to the gods of speed.

MHF

Last edited: