My first build. My new addiction

GoldenMotor.com

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
a walmart huffy cranbrook with a bike berry flying horse 66cc (supposedly). I officially hate bikeberry.com this experience was made 1000x's more difficult because they are incompetent. But, 5 horrible phone calls, several trips to various hardware stores and 2 months later, I managed to get her going yesterday. Still needs alot of fine tuning but she runs fairly good.

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & Welcome!! Lots of great guys and info on here.

Sometimes a difficult journey makes the destination so much sweeter!

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
thank you! I'm sure I will do my fair share of questioning. And yes, there is a sense of triumph. Now comes the fun part. Riding a fine tuning the **** out of it. It still doesn't idle like i would like and I have seen mixed opinions about break in. I think some people break in like they ride it just don't WOT for extended periods. any advice on break in.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The more miles that I accumulated, the better it idled and it also gained more power.

You'll find that you get more stares than you would driving a Ferrari!

I really would strongly suggest that you add front brakes. It'll make a much more 'pucker' free riding experience.

Good luck in your adventures!

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
Yeah i am def getting front breaks. Motor wants to quit every now and then after like 5 mins of cruising. Wonder if I should adjust the needle for a diff mix.

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
im a happy dude. My brother was riding and the china chain snapped so I went an bought a #41 and back in business. Has me worried about alignment thought. thinking about getting a spring loaded tensioner instead cuz i think if there is a misalignment that its the static tensioner. so far total cost is around $371 bike included.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
im a happy dude. My brother was riding and the china chain snapped so I went an bought a #41 and back in business. Has me worried about alignment thought. thinking about getting a spring loaded tensioner instead cuz i think if there is a misalignment that its the static tensioner. so far total cost is around $371 bike included.

Kinda like me.......I've had quite a few motorcycles in the past and had got the itch to get another. I think that my motorized bicycle has cured that itch for a whole lot less cash!!

For some reason, a trip on the motorized bicycle seems like more of an 'adventure' than doing the same trip on a motorcycle....................brnot

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
also a piece of the throttle broke. like where the cable enters the throttle housing in that threaded plastic sleave cracked. its doesn't affect it riding but knowing its broke sucks. I might have to get a metal throttle and killswitch for peace of mind.

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
I agree. Never had a motorcycle but now I see the alure. I think because you can take these things practically anywhere(except the freeway) that makes things exciting. I live in a semi rural suberb so lots of woods and trails that you wouldn't dare ride a motorcycle. dirt bikes are great but anyone with 3 brain cells can ride these things(which is a double edged sword as I cringe when people I know are like "can I ride it!")

Mar 31, 2013
RI
also a piece of the throttle broke. like where the cable enters the throttle housing in that threaded plastic sleave cracked. its doesn't affect it riding but knowing its broke sucks. I might have to get a metal throttle and killswitch for peace of mind.
...SickBikeParts carries both a quality throttle assembly and a couple of different killswitch options.

...oh, and you won't get any runaround over at SBP, they deal in quality products and they have excellent customer service.

...if you look to the left you'll see a link to SBP just above the link to bikeberry.

peace, bozo

btw, here is a link to a spring loaded chain tensioner sold by Lynn over at Cusom Motored Bicycles, another vendor you can trust.

SPRING LOADED CHAIN TENSIONER

Last edited:

Docwee

May 23, 2013
Savannah, GA
thank for the advice. one last question for now. I am thinking about installing some kits for some friends and family. Whats is your recommendation to buy multiple kits at a decent price/quality? As I said, I am done with the berry.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I got mine from Pistonbikes......had a great experience. The kit did cost a touch more, but there is an adage from retail..

Price
Quality
Service

Pick two cause there's no way to realistically offer all three.

Good luck!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
thank for the advice. one last question for now. I am thinking about installing some kits for some friends and family. Whats is your recommendation to buy multiple kits at a decent price/quality? As I said, I am done with the berry.
Here is my vendor.
$143 shipped 66cc ht motor kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370691303944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
also this one (same people)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180880332173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
More than 10 kits with only one bad coil in the bunch which he replaced free, and All my builds are still running as far as I know.

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
my recommendiation would be Dax my son got a BGF 66cc and I got a Dax 50cc my Dax is better quality in every way even before I did the reed kit to it it had more TQ then my sons ever had. also my dax runs with very little vibration and now with the reed kit and port its also faster then my sons. now it did cost almost 70$ more then my sons but the service and quality make it well worth every penny imho.