Mental build: Tecumseh Fat Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello all! First let me say, I'm happy with the bike I have now, but I don't feel confident enough to take it 20 miles into the Rocky Mountains on gravel fire roads. I know it's nice back there, so I should camp while I'm there too. ;)
I expect this Gas-Bike to weigh around 275 LBS (with rider), and top out around 20 MPH.

With that in mind, I'm planning to build myself a monster. I would like to focus at around 40% staying light, and 60% bombproof (That ain't no kinda proper English, I know:)) Price matters, but I think no matter what, this will cost me quite a few fednotes for key components.
This idea just came to me and it seems like the right way to go, and I'd appreciate some input from the members here. At this point I'm really just reaching out for ideas, fatbike or Tecumseh related info, and recommendations you may have. I'm going to let the guys and gals who have experience, and interest guide this build.

-Fat Bike.
-10 gauge spokes?
-'Cheap' tires, tire/ rim liners, spare inner tubes?
-5HP, 4 stroke, Tecumseh, which I have now.
-I like the idea of belt drive, I trust the idea of chain drive...?

What else would you like to see on this list? I'm planning on being finished with this build around Xmas 2013. I thank you for helping me along.

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sounds like a lot of fabrication?
Are you talking about the walmart fat bike?

Sounds like your using a jack shaft shift kit if your using front and rear disk brakes?

Either way cant wait to see more builds with this type of bike!

Might have to introduce a new classification. Motorized Fat Bikes lol

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Hey man. No, I don't have that much of a plan yet. Mentioned discs because I'd like them in a wish list sort of way, but need feedback to see if that's what I'll actually end up doing. I'm also curious about which of these super wide bikes is quality enough to handle it, but that I can find cheap enough. I expect to finish this bike just after X-mas 2013.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just finished a custom bike, so I'll leave you with some wisdom from my build. These are mostly things I decided from the get-go, because I knew if I didnt follow them, I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. First, come up with a definite plan of what you want. A few details might change later on, but having a really good idea of what you want and trying to stick to that will help you get through the parts gathering/build process a lot smoother. What I did was try my best to decide all the major details, and then started a parts list. As I thought of more parts that I wanted, I added them to the list. If I changed my mind, I edited the list to reflect that. Just remember that its a custom build, you're the one who's got to live with the results, so take your time with the list. Personally, I did not attempt to assemble the bike or motorize it until I had all the parts on my list. I did some modifications that were necessary to fit the front fork to the frame and the front wheel to the fork, and a few other minor things as well, but everything else waited until my parts list was filled. I also researched to find out how many rpms my engine makes, and then decided what gear ratio I wanted based on that info. It made it a lot easier choosing my drive train setup. When it came time to start building, I was able to load the frame and the parts into my car and drive over to my buddy's house (he has more tools than I do). I took my time building the bike, going over to my buddy's house on my days off. Patience is the key when building your first custom bike, and it will pay off in the long run, that I can promise you.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
BBB- Yes sir, that sounds right to me.
I wanted to start talking about this build well before it actually get's started- I need all the help I can get! It will really be a reflection of the knowledge of the members here, because I know very little about these dang contraptions.
Any suggestions for a float-carb for this thing?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Probably because they have a habit of blowing rods. Depends on the model. The early ones were good engines,and a lot depends on how they are taken care of.
I was at my sn's today and he is working on a roto-tiller for a guy its a h60 6hp. I noticed it has the right carb this is the one he had http://www.alamia.us/Tecumseh_Carburetor_632230_p/rott-13146.htm. I would go ahead and build it Keep a eye out for a spare engine should not be hard to find and less then a Briggs. Sears sold a lot of equipment with then on................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You can see from the picture the jet on the side and the main jet is on the bottom of the bowel. Go to a lawn mower repaire shop you should be able to find a used one and a kit is around $20.............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
No i don't not on a bike that is have a couple snowblowers also my son has a couple. Anywere from 4hp to 8.5hp.
There are others that have them on bikes and like them,i have never had a problum with them...........Curt

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey trey,there's someone selling a mikey bikey motor mount for a tecumseh motor in the swap&shop,in case your interested.