1956 Schwinn Hornet

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Thanks Norm, I have a couple of ideas on this build but, just not sure till i start putting it together. Still undecided on the seat,, original or a new one. I found the color, Psycho Green,,,, sounds good for a Hornet. I pulled the trigger & ordered a panther tank for Pat Dolan. That tank really makes these bikes look fabulous. here are some more pics of it.brnot

Attachments

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Absolutely, Silverbear! I just love the old shwinn steel bikes. I was looking at your thread of recovering old seats.I need to find a vendor who has elk skin leather to re-cover my seat. If not then possibly buying a new one. Any how i decided to send the frame out to powdercoat it. the color i picked looks really cool. They call it Pyscho Lime. I'll post more pics soon enough. brnot

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I haven't bought any in awhile. Usually there is plenty of black available. Your seat looks like it is in pretty nice shape. It's going to look good and will be well worth your effort.
SB

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Any updates on the build?
not a whole lot,,, took a break to finish up the holiday season. I searched around looking for Elk skin leather & padding to refinish the seat. But other than that nothing. I've been waiting for the frame to come back ( sent out to be powdercaoted. ) Silverbear,, thanks for the tip on E-bay some prices vary depending on size of hides. Don't have a lot at this time. Here is a couple pics on the types of seat coverings. the tan & brown are samples from a fabric store. The foam padding i picked up there as well cost around 5.00- 7.00

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
not a whole lot,,, took a break to finish up the holiday season. I searched around looking for Elk skin leather & padding to refinish the seat. But other than that nothing. I've been waiting for the frame to come back ( sent out to be powdercaoted. ) Silverbear,, thanks for the tip on E-bay some prices vary depending on size of hides. Don't have a lot at this time. Here is a couple pics on the types of seat coverings. the tan & brown are samples from a fabric store. The foam padding i picked up there as well cost around 5.00- 7.00
Look for a local western tack shop. They might have some hides if they do any saddle work.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

This is a regular Hornet, but there was a Deluxe Hornet that had springer forks.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
This is what it looked like with the orginal tank.

I've kinda gotten into tank frames since I bought the Felt.
That's a great pic! Thanks for posting it Biknut. When i bought mine,, it only had frame & forks, headset, seat, post,& seat clamp. If you look back at the pics, you could tell the forks didn't match the color of the frame. The guy I bought it from said he took the forks off his sister's bike, cause he bent his when his chain broke & couldn't stop,,story goes he ran into his Dad's new Buick & flipped over the bars breaking his colorbone. When i went too get it, he pulled it out of one of the barns. Cost me 75.00 dollars. He wanted 100.00 but i said if it had the rest of the parts. Guess i did ok? dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
They had a deluxe Hornet that had springer forks and a funky looking chain guard. Yours was the regular model with rigid forks.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You might want to save that picture, because I'll eventually have to delete it because my album is always full.