The Skyhawk GT frame build

GoldenMotor.com

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Dogtown,

Did you let the funky gold stuff just wear off the frame? It looks silver, which I like, it reminds me of ww2 bomber planes.
It was a small accident really. The frame was moved around and mocked up so many times it developed surface scratches. I had
Been wet sanding the tank on the stretch, and just thought I'd polish off the Seabee's scratches while I had the stuff
Out and the hose and bucket going. Turns out that the gold anodizing had scratches cause it comes off REAL EASY. But I think it looked cool, and created a
Sort of gold&silver motif.. Originally the plan was navy blue with gold and white as a salute to the Navy Seabees

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Perhaps whoever turned you onto the frame was simply doing you the favor of having the ability of putting in a 4-stroke motor vs being stuck with a 2-stoke had you purchased the other frame. If they didn't have that conversation with you, shame on them.

Maybe your longer wheelbase setup doesn't effect performance, maybe it does. I'm not a race bike expert. Though in automobiles, you don't want it. On the cosmetic side, I'm on the fence about the frame, every build I've seen fails to hit my buy button, proportion's are off.

Here's a 2 stoke build on the GT2-A (2-stoke frame)

I am impressed at the thorough list. my question is, has anyone built a bad a$$ 4 stroke with one? I'd really like to see it, if so. im wondering if you could stuff a harbor freight scotto build in there...dance1

So, here are the specs for the two different frames. 2-stroke specifc and the 4-stoke/2-stoke frame

SkyHawk Aluminum Bike Frame GT2-A for 48cc / 66cc
Features:

Built-in 2.4L gas tank
Pedestal front mount allows fitting of all 2 cycle bike engines with either 40 or 50mm front mount stud spacing
26" frame made especially heavy duty for gas engine applications
Available with 135mm rear frame width for either single speed or multi-speed bikes
38mm diameter downtube 70 degrees angle V frame
Material: Aluminum - No gas tank rusting
No other bike frame in the world is especially made for motorization
Seat post angle allows for level carburetor
Big bottom hole for 1 piece pedal crank
Net weight 6.5 lbs; Gross weight 10.50 lbs; Dimension (box) 43.70 in x 6.50 in x 22.24 in

SkyHawk Aluminum Alloy Bike Frame GT2A-S for 48cc / 66cc 2 Cycle and 4 Cycle

No pedestal mount
Features:

Built-in 2.4L gas tank
Designed for the late style 2-cycle engines with 50mm wide front mount stud spacing, and also accepts 4-cyle engines
26" frame made especially heavy duty for gas engine applications
Available with 135mm rear frame width for either single speed or multi-speed bikes
38mm diameter downtube 70 degrees angle V frame
The GT2S-A frame is made for the new 203 brg engines with the 50mm wide front mount stud spacing for big downtubes. This frame is not to be used with older 2 cycle engines with 40mm wide stud spacing at front mount No other bike frame in the world is especially made for motorization
Seat post angle allows for level carburetor
Big bottom hole for 1 piece pedal crank
Material: Aluminum - No gas tank rusting
Net weight 6.5 lbs; Gross weight 10.50 lbs; Dimension (box) 43.70 in x 6.50 in x 22.24 in
Straight rear drop outs for easy chain tightening.
Cable eyelets for securing all cables.
50mm OD x 43mm ID stem

I am impressed at the thorough list. my question is, has anyone built a bad a$$ 4 stroke with one? I'd really like to see it, if so. im wondering if you could stuff a harbor freight scotto build in there...dance1

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
how right you are jake about your grandfather, many seabee's were felled by sniper fire. and i'm sure he's looking down with a smile. very classy bike.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Could you elaborate on this a little bit? Like what type of mods? What are the expected results?
Darcy Dacoste is a world renowned 2 stroke guru in the Kart world. He is a racing engine builder, with racing engine builder secrets. he shared some, but i'm sworn to secrecy. And I'm sure he didnt share anything I couldnt read in a 2 stroke tuners manual. guys a genius.
Dave Rust, on the other hand, is building engines that trump this one by 2.5 Hp. If you want a fast engine, call [email protected] and off you go to the front of the pack on the track. dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Darcy Dacoste is a world renowned 2 stroke guru in the Kart world. He is a racing engine builder, with racing engine builder secrets. he shared some, but i'm sworn to secrecy. And I'm sure he didnt share anything I couldnt read in a 2 stroke tuners manual. guys a genius.
Dave Rust, on the other hand, is building engines that trump this one by 2.5 Hp. If you want a fast engine, call [email protected] and off you go to the front of the pack on the track. dnut
I see, thanks for explaination. I was mainly wondering if for that kind of money you were getting a custom crankshaft. All the stock ones I've examined lead me to believe that if the motor has a stock crank, all the motor work in the world will be rather temporary. Still it must be nice to be able to get someone with that kind of experience to work on your motor.

I'm not interested in being at the front of the pack on a track, but I would like to stay ahead of that damn lady talking on her cell phone in the suv, trying to run me down from behind lol.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Just a heads up to anyone wanting to buy a Skyhawk GT frame, Gasbike.net has a black friday sale: $159 for the frame. It's a real bargain at that price. I'm really tempted.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just a heads up to anyone wanting to buy a Skyhawk GT frame, Gasbike.net has a black friday sale: $159 for the frame. It's a real bargain at that price. I'm really tempted.
I tried to buy a GT2A-S frame from them last night, not knowing about the black friday sale.
On the check out page it states that they have 0 in stock.
I was very disappointed.
I cancelled the transaction.

Edit: I just checked again and bought the frame with the Black Friday discount.
Perhaps the 0 in stock was just good fortune on my part? Had that not happened I would have paid full price!
Thank you very much abikerider for the info, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I see, thanks for explaination. I was mainly wondering if for that kind of money you were getting a custom crankshaft. All the stock ones I've examined lead me to believe that if the motor has a stock crank, all the motor work in the world will be rather temporary. Still it must be nice to be able to get someone with that kind of experience to work on your motor.

I'm not interested in being at the front of the pack on a track, but I would like to stay ahead of that damn lady talking on her cell phone in the suv, trying to run me down from behind lol.
Hahahahahaha totally. and Yes he balances and trues the crank and all that...The Crank IS the limiting factor on RPM that's for sure.! C'mon B'Nut! get one!!!xct2

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you for this thread, Dogtown Burner!

Got my frame today. It is reeeeally nice!
Yes, it has the typical light scratches on the top tube/ fuel tank.
There is no protection inside the box to prevent this from happening during shipping.

I am sure that I will read this thread many times over as I slowly build up another MB.