Lurker's new project

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks, Yes I will be starting with the 20" Worksman with this build. I feel it has untapped potential that not many people have explored.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i live in new york and at first was concerned about "street legal" when i was building my 66cc 26" Schwinn jaguar set up since i have been riding only people who stop me are people who want one i tell them to build one and where to go to do it but am thinking about starting to build for people who want one police interaction is minimal which is strange because they can be dickish here and use all the power of the patriot act to screw with you but i was run off the road by some A$$hole who didnt stop and the cop helped me into the ambulence and put my bike into my moms car for me not a issue i normaly just give them a wave when i pass and they wave back and smile only things i suggest in NY are a DOT helmet and at least a left side mirror

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Lurker,
Your past builds are THE SH*T! I am sure these versions will be too.

I like the concept. In regard to the tank, have you considered the torpedo style like the 1905 Indian? looks easy to do and I havent seen anyone doing it.

Keep it simple and crude and it'll be fun.

Here in Ca we simply register the frame and ride it like a "bicycle". They dont enforce the "under 50 cc" rule so sales might be good in Ca.

If you have anything you'd like to bounce off of Dan (Taylar Cycles) feel free to call him. He is way cool and isn't threatened by other builders. He has a good business attitude and would appreciate the conversation.
You'll find that the good builders are part of the hobby rather than being threatened by "competition"

Any idea on price at this point?

Good luck! :)
Kris

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks Antiquecycles you are too kind.
The tanks will be similar to the torpedo tanks for the exact reason you described.

That is good to know about CA I'm shooting for more local sales. however I realize this is a small niche market so I have to take what I can get.

Dan is much more talented than I. If nothing else these bikes will provide ideas that others can use. I will be attempting a transmission setup that as far as I know has not been done before. So if I can't produce a whole bike I might end up making and selling those.

As for price I'm still not sure. It all depends on how much I have invested in parts, time, and finish work. I will also consider selling frame and engine mount kits.

As of right now it looks like I will have around 1k in parts and 1-3 months in labor. Oh well we will see... this whole thing is a experiment.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Amen! Amen! AtiqueCycles
I received a nasty P/M from a well known builder telling me not to promote Dans products and basically what an @$$ hole I was for doing it but you know what, Dan is a Personal friend and he does absolutely Fantastic work and if I can recommend a build or an out source of parts from Dan I will, he can and will make just about anything you can Imagine and like you said, he is not threatened by other builders, so if you ever need knowledge,bikes or parts give Dan a call!

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I haven't been posting here lately because I have been very busy working on art related projects, enjoying the fall weather, and developing my new transmission system. Which is the reason I'm posting, here is a peek at the new transmission. This is just a mock up for proof of theory and fitment. The nuts and bolts used to connect the sprocket to the clutch flange in the photos are just for mock up. I will be using much larger hardware with spacers and whatnot. This system will allow the rider to pedal start the engine just like the old bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here is one of the art related projects I'm working on. I will eventually print this on something, but I'm not sure what yet. I think it would be kinda neat printed on some shop rags. What do you guys think? Is there anything you guys would like to see it on?

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker...Great work on the trans mission....this layout will help others to get over problems with their crankset... You could probally have a market for them once you get it sorted...DD

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
Here is one of the art related projects I'm working on. I will eventually print this on something, but I'm not sure what yet. I think it would be kinda neat printed on some shop rags. What do you guys think? Is there anything you guys would like to see it on?
That would be a killer shirt, or even on a banner for the garage... Let me know when its ready.....

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Lurker,
Looks like good progress. I have looked into mounting a centrifugal clutch to the pedal crank many times. Centrifugal clutches designed to run on an engine output shaft are set up to function at much higher rpm. Once you move the clutch to the bottom bracket it spins slower so it will perform differently and have less centrifugal force for clutch lock. It works on a Whizzer, though, which runs it's centrifugal clutch after the primary reduction. Just something to consider so you set the clutch up accordingly.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the heads up Pat, I figured it would need some adjustments. Currently this transmission system is the first and only piece of the bike. Obviously I will have to hold off on making any adjustments until I have a running bike.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been making lots of progress on this new build and will hopefully be posting some new photos tomorrow. In the meantime I have a question for anyone who had hacked into a Worksman frame.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the tubing they use? I need to know the i.d. and o.d. of the top tube and down tube. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Hi Lurker,

Went on your site to get me one of those fine-looking BTR shirts of yours. I was so happy... :)
Then I saw you dont have any for fat asses! I need an XL. Any chance you'll have these available in Black?
Love,
Kris

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hi, antiquecycles,

Sorry for the delayed response I have been very busy lately.
I will be printing some more of these shirts later this week if all goes as planed. A few friends and family have requested them as x-mas gifts. Unfortunately the art cannot be printed on a black shirt, it would look like a photo negative and very ugly.

I will have a few L, XL, and XXL if any one is interested check my site late this week or next.