Morini clone build

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
andy, come outa hiding bro! it's been a month with no pic's. you zoom by me with your china at the races [who doesn't] how am i gonna see this one? dennis

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Lol I am not hiding , I had to take a rim from this build to replace the bent rim on my china race bike . I just had two rims laced back up yesterday and mounted the motor . Here is a updated picture of it . I need to figure out how to run the exhaust now . I mounted the motor in a upright position to keep the carb level and to give me more room for the exhaust by the frame . I also mounted it as low as I could so ill have to do some trickery with the crank arms to .

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
dude that looks great. very nice. oh i remember the bent rim at bairdco's race. good bend musta been the heat! i got 3 morini up pipes you can try [use a band saw] and i just bought 2 down pipes from treatland also. watching thailand 2 stroke drag bikes. dennis

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Thanks Dennis, Yeah I tore up my back rim at the last race . I was lucky I had a spare because they wont have any more until the new year . So I upgraded the rims on my new build and that left me with one more spare for my other bikes . I picked up a pro circuit pipe for a kx 65 . I am re clocking it to get around the frame . I am going to run it dirt bike style on the right hand side . Its going to be a tight fit around the frame but ill get it to work .

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i know you'll get it done. let me know if you need anything bro. i'm going to try to bore a 19mm to a 21mm carb its the same casting. prob. junk it was comp. clogged thats way the lem wouldn't start. we'll see. i dont have good luck with small carbs with idle-air jets plugged.

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Thanks again Dennis I think I have everything to get it on there . I have the pipe cut up in about four pieces right now. Its like a puzzle I just need to find the right angle and length of each piece . I am not fond of those Delorto carbs . If the wind blows in a different direction you have to re jet them lol . I bought a Mikuni and made a adapter for it , Easy to get parts for and jets .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Where i get my carbs from they are out of the 20 mm one. I had to settle for a 18 but that should be big enough I would think . They couldn't tell me when the bigger one was coming in . A new one is about 68 bucks .

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Cool! You may just be the inspiration I need to build my own :D Looking forward to see how you fit the pipe. My concern about cutting up the pipe for this is that you'll lose the full potential of the expansion chamber

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Cool! You may just be the inspiration I need to build my own :D Looking forward to see how you fit the pipe. My concern about cutting up the pipe for this is that you'll lose the full potential of the expansion chamber
Its been pretty fun so far building this . As far as the pipe goes all am doing is cutting and rotating some of the joints . It shouldn't affect it at all . I am going to run the pipe dirt bike style hpefully it comes out cool . I should have the pipe done in a couple of days .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california

I worked on this bike all day today , I don't feel like I got to much done though . I got the pipe on there and all welded back up . It was a pain to weld back together because of the carbon and oil that was in it . I had a nice little fire going for a second that was kinda cool . I need to make the stinger and silencer for it still I will start that tomorrow . I got both chains on and mounted a idler gear on the motor side . I also bent the crank arms to clear the motor . All in all I guess it was a productive day lets see how much I feel like doing tomorrow .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Thanks Easy thanks Jeff , Yeah ill race this bike in the mid class . I am going to need a trailer to haul all these bikes to the track lol .

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
that big ass pipe will rev to the moon. with that oil/carbon contamination did you gas weld it? close up's bro!

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
that big ass pipe will rev to the moon. with that oil/carbon contamination did you gas weld it? close up's bro!
Lol it is a big a@! Pipe . It should rev to 13,000 rpm now lol . I started to gas weld it but that's when it caught fire . So I had to pull out my mig , it came out okay a coat of black paint will make it look good again. I should have it done tomorrow .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Here you go Dennis , I worked on this pipe all day to finish it up . I just have to weld on two tabs to hold the muffler on . Here is a close up of the welded head pipe and a side view with the muffler on it that I made .