Ruined by an electric bike...

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I really like my Razor electric dirtbike, it would be so much nicer if it had a greater range than 10 miles to a 4 hour charge. Electric bikes can get finicky if you modify them like I have, and you really gotta use the new lightweight batteries. The problems mine has are weight and breaking stuff because of weight and big torque. Mine has the stock SLA's and they weigh about forty pounds plus about ten pounds of supercaps. The torque is enough to make the motor slide in its solidly bolted mounts, had to use a hose clamp to hold tension on it.

I am too very fascinated by electric bikes and the endless possibilities, the price of batteries needs to come down though. Once the next generation batteries that don't use lithium are made, the LiFePO4 packs will get sold at a discount, and the new batts will be cheaper unless they choose to uprate the specs for all batteries to keep them expensive - something that a lack of competition will definitely cause. It really sucks that the options for the affordable batteries are so slim, and I don't trust how they are assembled, or the BMS packs they provide for the cheaper "duct tape" or "shrink wrap" packs. The best idea is probably to become an expert in pack configuration and battery leveling circuits, buy a bunch of cells, and build your own pack to fit your frame.

Call me a cheap ass, but it's hard to justify spending $500 on a 48v 20ah pack when I could go 10000 miles on a gas bike for the cost of the energy storage device. I'm trying to be content with my dinosaur of an electric bike, and wait until I can afford to do it right, because the technology for a 100mph electric scooter exists right now but its just so awfully expensive.

A good way to have fun with electric bikes and be cheap like me is to check out electric recreational scooters, dirtbikes, and pocket bikes. The technology on these bikes is ancient, but the parts are affordable. The stuff that's made officially for Razor is of high quality, I haven't been disappointed with any of their electronics. SLA batteries can be bought for $20 each for a 12v 7ah cell. They suck for bicycles, but if you were creative I bet 36V worth of lead juice could be hidden under a fairing or tank. I think 36v is really all you would need on a pedal bicycle for cruising, maybe 750-1000W max, and it would equate to a happy time motor.

The quietness is so nice, it makes cruising around really relaxing. Horses get insanely spooked by the still somewhat noisy chain drive and motor whine on my dirtbike though, I'm afraid one of those rich little ladies is going to sue me after getting dumped off their skiddish horsey because it goes catatonic. My gas bike never screwed with the horses like this, it's strange.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Today? Every day is ride day lol ;)

More New England trees doing their "scenery" thing, I s'pose I'll hafta forgive them for tryin' to kill me w/their wet leaves & acorns strewn all over the place *shrug*

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
view like that take my breath away. i love the fall colors. its like the woods are on fire. what better way to enjoy them then on a nice quite e-bike

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks sendler - 24-26mph (knobby vs slick tires) & I'm not quite sure what ya mean by "Wh/ mile" but I've just about a 30 mile range w/the 15ah LiFePO4 pack... with the semi-slick tires that is, haven't tested range w/the winter knobbies lol

sendler

Nov 28, 2012
Syracuse, NY USA
To find how much power you use, you would have to have a "Killawatt" meter to measure your charger through. Your battery is 15 Ah x 50V so about 750 Watt hours. Just going by this, you are only using 25 Watt hours per mile. This is really good. Your from the wall usage including losses will be something higher but still an impressively green and fun way to get around. I hope to build an electric 26" recumbent this winter and use it occasionally for my 40 mile, country road commute. Just to prove a point.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
BA, that is a great narrative and awesome pictures!

Thanks for posting.

A few yrs back I saw a motorized bicycle glide across an intersection as I waited for the red light in my car. I turned the radio down to try and tell if it was 2 or 4 smoke. He wasn't pedaling and going to fast to be a bicycle. The thing was silent and doing about 20.

I thought, "I want that"
Really was cool to see and not hear.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks Dan - & thanks for reminding me I'd neglected this thread as well lol, yea I'm lovin' the ebike & still riding it every day despite Maine's habit of being somewhat chilly in the winter... unfortunately due to that chill I don't tend to take as many pics or wander quite as far to take them.

Still, I've a couple to share like Mongo's first snow day;

The first (unfortunately not last lol) 0°F (-17°C) commute;

The last of the open water before it became 'bergs;

An exception to the "no wanderabouts" due to the cold;

...and this guy, who makes me feel less insane by comparison (that's tidal brackish water, for it to ice = COLD);