Felt SurfCity vs. Columbia SuperCyclone

GoldenMotor.com

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Frame Up means when you disassemble the bike and start from the frame up often refered in the automotive ind as a complete restore.
I wouldn't spin if your not using a hammered finished paint but do hang it from something (hands free) light coats until completely covered in paint then final coat, keep the can about 4-6" away from the surface you are painting and don't get over anctious, after the paint has dried & cured for a least a couple of days then do a wet sand to remove any blemishes and smooth the out then wax the paint with a non abrasive wax which will also help the painted surface to harden
Great advice! Thanks for the run-down. I have gotten ahead of myself and rushed the paint. Gotta resand and do-over. I skipped the whole "a light coat at a time" idea. Guess that's why i've run into so many mishaps so far with the paint. Never heard of usinng the wax. Now I know.

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Looks like a typical American bike from that era, very late 1950’s to late 60’s. Usually referred to as a “middleweight” because of the then newly popular smaller 26” X 1.75” sized tires.

Not really sought after by serious collectors which gives you some freedom of criticism if you decided to chop or modified the frame.

Closer inspection of your photo shows that the headlight bezel is there but it actually may be missing the lens covers:confused:

The members at this forum could certainly tell you much more specific info about it than I!

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/content.php

It might be worth it just in case it does happen to be some unusual rare variant from the era...

-Kirk
Thanks! Looks like a great site. I'd looked for something just like it but to no avail. Thanks again.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just remember : after final cost dry & cure 2-days wet sand with light grade sand paper,make sure the frame is dry from water and wax, now this is where the patients comes in because it takes 2-3 waxings until you'll get the desired finished, check out this bike out I made for a friend born as a Huffy 15 SPD mountain bike converted into a single SPD cruiser, nice paint, I painted it Oh! and by the way you don't have to totally sand the whole bike just wet sand the areas you messed up until smooth then re-paint
By the way this bike is named "Born Again"

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
go to motorizedbicvclings forum and look up how to post,how to post pic's
Oh! Thanks! on the job and the handle bars and goose neck were chrome

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
F'ing A!! I'm tryna paint chrome too. Gonna paint a few pieces an oil rubbed bronze. What'd you do to paint that chrome so nice?!?! I got some advice from another thread but this is the first example I've seen. Sick man! (^)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you are talking about the bike "Born Again" above? all I did was use a light grade sand paper you most diffenately don't want to scar the metal, base coated the beige then cut out my design on the tape , laid it all out then painted the olive green, let it sit for a couple of days ,colored sanded then clear coated, color sanded then polished(waxed it)