What do you call that thing?

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
As some of you know I live smack dab In the middle of the city, and my workshop is the sidewalk in front of my house. My bike is finally starting to look like a proper motorcycle frame of the era, and with that it draws a bit of attention. I get quite a few questions about it from all types of people but Im not quite sure what to call it. It isn't a replica of any perticular bike. So I wanted to know what you guys call yours. Especially those of you who have designed and built your bike from the ground up. like Mr.B and his Excalibur

As of right now the best I can come up with is "It's a custom motor cycle in the spirit of the 1920's board track racing motorcycles." and that still gets me lots of funny looks and even more questions.

I like to open people up to new things and educate them but it can be very frustrating when I'm in the middle of working on my bike.

stocksucks

May 23, 2012
Portugal
Hehe, I also have to explain what I know about boardtrack racing to every one who asks me about my bike. Since I have many back in the day pics of the sport at my workshop, my task is easier. I call it a boardtrack racer inspired custom bike.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
It isn't a replica of any perticular bike. So I wanted to know what you guys call yours. Especially those of you who have designed and built your bike from the ground up. like Mr.B and his Excalibur
I enjoyed building and now riding my bike, but honestly don’t always enjoy the attention it gets...

Most common questions are- “How old is it?” & Is it ordinal?”

I usually just say- “I built it using old parts” starting in 2009, or more often- “it’s a ‘retro’ 1909 bike”.

But some folks definitely what to know a lot more detail...

Get ready for some “splainin” at parking lots & stop lights.

On the funny side I’ve had several people say- “I haven’t seen one of those in a long time”

I reply with- “Yep, There’s not many of them around.”

“-)

-Kirk

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I would just tell them it's a motor bicycle and leave it at that.
Most people have no idea what a board track racer is.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
its a Binford 6100 board track racer
i like the looks of the vintage style bikes,i just dont think it would fit in too well in this neck of the woods.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
people are ALWAYS asking me stupid questions....did you build it? where can i get a motor like that? how fast does it go? i should say yes, google it, and fast enough to not have to pedal. but i usually just say it goes about 30 and you can get a kit on ebay. the other day some jackhole asked me how to use ebay. but you know what they say. it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the replies guys, but I think I should have posted a photo of the bike in question. It's kind of in limbo, it has a hodgepodge of parts on it. It only has 3 bicycle parts, 3 motorcycle parts, but 4 tractor parts and a bunch of custom made stuff. I agree that with a kit engine you would just call it a motorized bike and leave it at that, but not so much with some of the other builds that are happening on this forum. I even think a gx200 build is no longer a motorized bike, they kind of fall in to a separate category. Which is part of the reason I post on this forum. I don't feel the bike I build fall under motorcycle yet it is not a bicycle either. I love the diy mentality of the people on this forum it is very reminiscent of the early motorcycle builders. I especially love the fact that every bike here is hand built with hand made parts, not stuff off the shelf.

I thought maybe you could call it a "newstalgic motorcycle" if you had to put a label on it such as bobber, cafe racer, or chopper.

“I haven’t seen one of those in a long time” I reply with- “Yep, There’s not many of them around.”
Mr.B I like this one a lot and will be sure to use it .

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I would still call it a "motorbike" not motorized or bicycle because "bike" covers motorcycles and bicycles. From what I've read it seems they used to call them motorbikes before the term motorcycle became popular, fitting term for what we're building.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I would just call it a home made motorbike.. That's what people looking at it will see.. My experience is that to much information only adds to the confusion..
If some one seem interested enough to litsten to you explaining you can allways elaborate on the BTR/vintage inspiration bit ;-)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
In the 1900's it was Moto Bikes and Moto Cycles and if you did see a motor bike it was acually, Motored Bike.
Been do'n a lot of research on decals lately for my 1911 indian posted under
"Blood thursty" one of the deacls on the side of the oil box says "MotoCycles" just to be period correct so when those that do know a little som,som about vintage bikes comes up ask'n questions thats one less answer to give.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... The credibility of the word.... bike....motocycles....motorised bike...who knows...some are just bigger than others....most of the V twin board track racers had a bicycle pedal crank and pedal set up and some were used to start the engine with an exhaust valve lifter....to me there all eye candy ...people have their own interpretation of what the bike is and most are happy with that...if they are inquisitive enough to ask questions give them answerer's they want to hear....confusion is a great diversion...DD

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I have refered to mine as a retro modern bike , lots of folks dont know the history of motorcycles including me until I found this forum usually after a few minutes of a breif history lesson most folks think its preety cool , but the older ladies an gentelmen who have seen really old motorbikes get it right away . btw would love to see some pics an maybe hook up sometime for a ride if yours is rideable im just north of ya .
Gary