Vintage projects: briggs powered vintage schwinn (think this belongs here)

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Hi all, so one of the first motorized bicycle ideas I ever saw that helped inspire me to get into this was a plan for a power bike on vintageprojects.com. Now before I go any further, you people who say "if it has pedals it's a motorcycle" better beware that this will not have pedals. The project is this http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Power-Bike-plans.pdf it is a fairly metal intensive project which is why I waited until santa brought me a welder before I started it. The original is a beautiful bicycle I don't know what make and a briggs FH engine with overhead exhaust valve. As much as I would like that engine, it costs at least $600, and the whole point of the original project was to do it on the cheap. I got my vintage schwinn for free a few years ago and I'm finally brave/skilled enough to motorize it. The engine I bought locally the other day from a cool guy who is working on restoring a '58 cushman and prefers underpowered vehicles (he evicted the cars from the garage (^) ) It's a 1976 3hp briggs that is both reliable and easy to fix. I took off the carb/tank unit because it won't fit but I'll be making the intake manifold to hold a tecumseh carb I have around next weekend. This is just the teaser post to get you all excited! Enjoy!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
This should be a cool bike LS. Looking forward to following the build. Will you be having another rally this summer?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
plan to have another one so I hope you can make it. Aleman was warning me I'd become a 4 stroke guy soon enough and he was right lol. Phasing out the 2 smokes for some good old fashioned 4 strokes

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Hey guys, so I got myself a 1.7 gal. gas tank from an old wisconsin which is enormous but I still think I can tuck it behind the seat. I also took the wrap around starter pulley from the 4hp kohler I have and fit that instead of the recoil starter (most people my age won't know what they're looking at, won't know how to start it, and will give up :D ) I'll be getting some stuff from the hardware store tomorrow and also work on welding an intake and exhaust flange. Gotta piece my 2 stroke tecumseh carb together and re-jet. I'll keep y'all updated. Pics go up tomorrow. Later!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Maybe check around at some lawn mower repair shops or recycling centers. you should be able to find a one gal. I have a neet ovel shaped one, but my son says don't ever sell it...........Curt

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
No, I'm not against the giant one I got, i'm gonna make her work :) just saying, it is huge :D
Pictures soon, but for now more work on the bike!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The briggs you got should work just fine!

I think it's a briggs model Y in the original plans you posted.
GREAT set of prints!!!
All the necessary information is there.

Will be nice to see how your project progresses.
..just in time for summer!

Best
rc

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Hey guys, so I've worked on a lot more stuff today and it all went pretty smoothly. yesterday I drilled out the spotwelds in the starter on the blower housing so I could fit a kohler wrap around pulley. I had to bore that out carefully with a file and I picked up a nut today to keep it secure. also did a mock up of the tank behind the seat and I think I should be able to keep that honker in place with just a few brackets. The pulley and the shroud look pretty darn good on the engine don't they? Also I cut off the main muffler from the threaded piece. I'll weld a flange to that and then figure out what kind of exhaust to attach later. The biggest pain in the butt I experienced today was cleaning and modifying the Tecumseh 2 stroke carburetor to get it to work for the Briggs. The carburetor was missing the main adjustment needle and had an ENORMOUS jet because of the viscosity of the 32:1 mix it was designed for. Soldering the fixed jet (no way I could figure out to get it out without destroying it) was almost impossible. I tried two different kinds of soldering iron and a lighter and nothing. So then I got some acid core plumbing solder off the shelf and hit that emulsion/jet unit with a bright blue propane flame for 5 minutes, this was after drilling a pilot hole in the top of the carb so I'd have a straight shot at the stupid jet. The solder filled it nicely and I drilled it out to the required size of 68. I then closed the pilot hole with a set screw I fabricated and put it back together. I think the whole thing looks pretty dang clean. Lastly, I unearthed an on/off key switch that will fit into the empty space where the air vane governor used to be. Now I'll have added security with this thing. Also, I did some more research and I've figured out that the schwinn is a 1963! Hope you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Lol, I know, it's a bit awkward, but hey, if it stays full forever I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Again my inspiration is really the cuban motorbikes and those aren't always the most pretty, but they're well designed. The tank cost me money and is built super solid, so I'm keepin it :p

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Exactly what I mean, the riquimbilis. I greatly admire the resourcefulness and I'm trying to build this bike in that style with as many parts that I already had, are used, or from the dump as possible :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah you really have to admire what some of those guys do..... anyone can build a nice bike with a fat wallet. But take away the money and the real talent shines through. Ill be watching...

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well I won a cool old drum brake on fleabay no thanks to the jerk who outbid me on the other. Now I'll have the necessary stopping power to make this thing reliable. I have the DK ultimate motorcycle book which has fantastic photos of the earliest motorcycles from around the world, and I will be drawing inspiration from various bikes. The 1924 Terrot for example had a little threaded loop on the downtube where a spare spark plug went. I'm gonna do stuff like that with this bike to really make it a super cool build.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Guys, bought a super neat carbide from a guy in estonia for a pretty good deal. Let's hope it's as awesome in person. I'm gonna make it functional again one way or another!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well guys, I went to Maine this weekend and saw some cool things in antique stores. I got a cool leather bag that I'm gonna make into a tool bag. Found a really old wrench that still works great and is super sturdy, and I found a flint striker at a camping store that I can screw into my carbide hopefully so I won't need to use matches. Also my drum brake arrived and it has NO markings on it which is a little weird but I'm pretty sure by the vintage of it it's japanese made. I can always put my own markings on it. I'm calling this bike the Stroliner (a play on my own last name) I'll be doing a bunch of work this week since I'm on break. Stay tuned and here are some pics of a few things.