New Engine Won't Start... (Newbie)

GoldenMotor.com

Baugette

Jan 1, 2012
Dublin
Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum.
I have recently purchased an engine kit that I assembled myself and for some reason it doesn't seem to start.
I'm pretty new to all this so I don't really have a clue what the problem might be, but I know that I assembled everything according to the instructions.
Here's a video below of my bike, I hope someone can help me with this!

Motorized Bike Starting Problem - YouTube

Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
Let's see if we can't get you running.

It appears from the vapors from the exhaust that you're getting fuel to the combustion chamber so I'd start looking at the ignition. Check your wiring and the connections. Blue wire to blue, black to black and insulate the white wire so it can't touch anything. Disconnect the kill switch and try without it wired into the circuit.

What fuel mix ratio are you using? We suggest ignoring the kit instructions that will tell you to mix at a 16:1 ratio and instead start at a 24:1 then after a couple of gallons move down to a 32:1 mix.

Check your choke to make sure it's open and you need to confirm that the spark plug is firing (sparking). To check this remove the spark plug, reconnect the wire to it and lay it against the cylinder head then with the clutch engaged roll the bike forward at a good pace or suspend it and spin the rear wheel while watching for a spark at the plug's electrodes.

Get back to us with your findings.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That motor is firing, I can hear it. Also blowing a lot of smoke, so I suspect a rich mixture.

You might want to check that the jet and the needle are in place.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I agree with Mike B, it is firing. Your choke lever should be down to maximize air intake. Check for a fouled plug at this point. If it is wet let it dry out, set at .025 gap.
Make sure your carb slide is in correctly, with groove riding on the pin. Set your needle at the 2nd from the top notch. Try again.