Greenline Super Rat

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Greetings from Oregon. Some colleagues of mine have built HT powered bikes and I had the pleasure of riding one some months ago, and have been since obsessed. I've been reading this and other forums, and all the vendor websites, and decided I really wanted a Super Rat. If any of you have been trying to buy one in recent months, its easier said than done. I found this and purchased it: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
but I now think I was mislead. No matter, I'm confident it is at least a GT-5 if not a GT-5 SR. No idea if it works yet, but the vendor has a positive feedback rating. It came with 3 spark plugs, a throttle and kill switch. I had to re-solder the kill switch, and have since fabricated a clutch lever out of a brake cable. The Bicycle is the Greenline BC-706m in army green with black wheels. If ever a bike needed a motor on it, it's this one. I've ordered the SBP HD Deluxe Shift Kit II, a fuel tank, fuel line, petcock, filter, proper clutch and muffler. I'm considering an expansion chamber, but don't want to spend too much yet, at least until I find out of the motor even works. In my limited mechanical capacity it seems to be in order, if not I didn't spend too much on the motor and could buy another if needed. Perhaps by then the real Super Rat will be available. I'm considering the saddle pictured below later on. I'd like to put a 12v SLA battery on it with a generator to a charger, for a proper lighting system, including turn signal, brake light and bright LED headlight. There are kits available but I have yet to find one I like. Might fashion my own. I found a Klaxon horn, like an antique car and will be using an analog speedometer to keep with the retro feel of this build. Thus far I've got just over $500 all in, not including shipping. gasbicyclekits(dot)com sells this for twice that! I probably will wind up spending that much eventually but that includes lots of extras (electrical, saddle, expansion chamber, etc.) I must say it's painful looking at my bike with the motor unmounted but sitting in the frame with the clutch and throttle hooked up, being in need of the critical drivetrain shift kit and fuel tank, being so close but not close enough! I can see how this is such a passion for many of you and look forward to joining the 20MPH club! -J

Attachments

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Update: Greenline Super Rat

My build so far. In the photos, please disregard the temporary lack of a rear wheel. My attempt at a motorized unicycle just didn't work out. Actually, the motor drove my rear cassette into the wheel and demolished my bearings so I'm waiting on a new wheel. This shows my design for a kill switch,

100_0793.JPG

interupting 1 wire instead of shorting out the spark plug, which, to my understanding is bad for the magneto. My lighting system (bullet LED with hi/lows, turn signal, brake light, etc. powered by a wheel dynamo charging a 12v battery ) I've just ordered the parts for, should be here next week. The Tach is new, seems to work, had only 1 wire so I wound it around the white wire. I also am adding this for rust prevention suggested by user MAC anode unbound electron rust prohibitor.
akep2.jpg
It comes from Ukrane so it must be good! I also found a klaxon horn like what the Model T Ford had. In Oregon the MB laws are pretty unfriendly so I want to at least appear to be in some form of compliance.
100_0796.JPG

100_0797.JPG

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Although I have never actually seen the elusive "Super Rat" motor in person, the motor on the ebay auction you linked doesn't appear to be one. The "Super Rat" is a Grubee motor, what is pictured on that auction doesn't look like any Grubee I have seen. (though I could be wrong) From what I have seen the Grubee Super Rat would have a CNS carb (two cables). The head looks like it has allen bolts instead of studs with nuts, thats a bit odd for a Super Rat or stock china girl motor from any company for that matter. That said, there are options when ordering kits from Grubee so it is not "impossible" this is one, though if it was I would have expected to see the SkyHawk sticker on the gear cover (unless this guy removed it and painted the motor black himself?)
The major differences in the Super Rat are in the bearings and the intake port and mount widths. You can measure the distance between the intake studs or the mounting studs to determine if the bottom end is actually that of a Grubee "Super Rat" or not. I am sure you probably know all this if you were searching for a super rat, but I thought I would comment in case you didn't.
You can find info about the differences between a GT-5 and Super Rat here on the Grubee website:
Untitled Document
If you look at the first motor on that page, the black one at the top, it kinda looks like what you have there. The measurements will tell the story....
I wanted a Super Rat badly last spring, never got one. I guess some of them might have made it into the USA but they have not been available for some time. (There were rumors of problems but I suspect the lack of availability in the USA is due to EPA regulations) Don Grube said he had to pay big fee's to get EPA approval on each motor before he can sell them in the USA. He first approved the 48cc and 66cc GT-5 SkyHawks, and said the next motors he will spend the money to have approved will be the Super Rat and the StarFire motor (I would really like to try a StarFire). Last I heard it will likely be early summer this year before these motors will be EPA approved and available in the USA. That said, these motors are all available to purchase outside the USA currently, so it is not impossible some have made it into the USA through strange supply chains from Europe or other regions.

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Indeed, Nightcruiser, I do believe you are correct. The motor I have doesn't have the internal CDI that the Rat is supposed to have. I asked the seller about this, and he said that he put a rat head on a regular bottom end, but from what I have read, that shouldn't be possible either, so I do not know what I have at this time. The auction was for a "Super Rat" but I think I have something else. Whatever, it works. I'm still checking gasbikes.net and pistonbikes.com regularly to see if/when the rat will be available again. Early in my project gasbikes.net said they would have them in a couple weeks, but that was a couple months ago. Grubee website says they should be available in 2012 but he wasn't sure about his likely buyer, so I guess we shall see. I thought the same thing you did, that the motor I had looked a little like the one on the top of the Rat section of the Grubee site, but I'm not at all sure. Especially since I have an external CDI. oh well.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
looking at the rat on my shelf i'd say no. sorry but the rat has the cdi on the l/s crank and a spark plug wire coming out of the cover. other things are different on the rat too. i dont think their were alot of raves about them but the cdi is nice. i was going to put it on my dyno roadster but i put a morini on it and didn't look back

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Nice! Dont let azbill see that seat or hill have it on his cruser pronto :) Dude. U live on a boat?? I always wanted to.

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Poor weather + free time = more peripherals!

Headlamp is dual LED, hi/low switch
100_0798.JPG
The brake light switch was tricky, Needed a soft pull so as not to pull apart the switch but still have it and the brakes functional
100_0799.JPG
The horn was much too large, it was either put it here, under the gas tank or on the front fender. She's nice and loud though! 12 volt! I figured under the seat was the most unobtrusive place.
100_0800.JPG
Turn signal and brake light on the bottom. The red bit between the amber arrows is only a reflector, so I added an LED from a broken bike lamp
100_0801.JPG
Generator will charge the battery that is still coming, 12v lith-ion.
100_0802.JPG
I suppose I could run the lights off the generator in the meantime, but I've already got all the wires terminating forward of the rear rack under the seat where I'm planning on putting the battery and 6 volt step down for the turn signal which I've discovered doesn't operate on higher voltage, and actually blew a bulb while testing.
I've also electrical-taped the step through on the cross bar behind the gas-tank as I'm not the most flexable dude and don't want to kick any wires out. I hope all this works, it was pretty labor intensive!

neomas372

Jul 8, 2012
Trenton, MI. right on the river
Re: Greenline beach cruiser

I am currently building a greenline bc-106 with grubee 66 motor, SBC rearwheel with sprocket adaptor (pricey but very nice) layback seatpost (salvaged from mongoose bmx) and a under/behind seat keg style fuel tank.....anyone know how to upload pics from android?

DaveM50

Jun 15, 2014
Minnesota
Possibly off-topic question: have you done anything in the way of adding a charger for lights and horn? I am trying to work up a charging system for a 99cc Predator build. Right now trying to figure out what I can get off the hot side of the kills switch. That "should" be low and somewhat variable voltage but enough to charge a small battery. Will be doing some exploring with my voltmeter later today.

Not quite sure what to use for a voltage regulator--something will be needed as the output will be AC.