Latest build, 29er with J-shaft

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Still adding to her lately. Dual pull brake/throttle mount/kill switch in one, (this one). Upgraded to a grip shifter, instead of the throttle side trigger, That is sooo much better. And some Decent fenders too.

Btw, Thanks F_rod, you'll love the mileage you can get out of them, omg. With a buddy cruising beside me on my beater(44t) at WoT, I'm in 7th at barely half throttle keeping pace. Could go twice as far as the beater, or better. Gotta love the 29's('till I have to replace the rubber, lol). She'll do 45mph gps'd, so 50+ should be no prob with an x-chamber. Then I'll worry about gearing for speed... but I don't need it, yet. She puts along at 30(half throttle) all day till the gas runs out.

I haven't done a range test yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Couple of better pics, was able to borrow a decent cam.

Got clutch roller from Al.Fisherman on.(Thanks Ron!) That is the "Cat's Pajamas", one finger clutch pull. Should have done long ago.

(disregard the carb, I'm working on something neat for the intake)

Better shot of the cleaned up bars:

Left side:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
That is one awesome looking bike. An expansion chamber would really be the icing to the icing on that :p My only suggestion would be to replace the fuel filter. The one from SBP is great.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
nice work,the first pic in #24 confused me,of ron's clutch roller (good thing i'm using my laptop-i could flip it over lol)
im considering a shift kit,and ron's clutch roller too.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I've thought about building a mtn bike with a shift kit, but I am worried about how much of a quality bike you can use.

What did you use for your frame and what not?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
oops, pic flipped, thank TJ.

DD, you don't need a top of the line bike to add a shift-kit. As long as you have working brakes, and a pedal chain that isn't 30yrs old and ready to snap your good to go enjoy shifting. It's when you get into the internal geared hubs that you want better quality so they don't detonate.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
oops, pic flipped, thank TJ.

DD, you don't need a top of the line bike to add a shift-kit. As long as you have working brakes, and a pedal chain that isn't 30yrs old and ready to snap your good to go enjoy shifting. It's when you get into the internal geared hubs that you want better quality so they don't detonate.
What I'm getting at is what brand should I look for to find a good frame where everything would fit nicely?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Whatever you can afford and like the looks of. Put a new chain on a $10 yard sale bike, or drop over $1K on a cantilever full suspension or a super-stretch-limo-cruiser-trike... Your wallet's the limit, is what I'm getting at :p

You want at least 15" inside the frame though. My CCM only had 14.5" and I had to mod a bit to squeeze it in there. So the taller the frame, the easier your install eh.

Have a look through Other Members Builds to give you a better idea.

gl.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
Yea, super tight fit, dang 18" frame >_< lol. Awesome Nikko, it's on the wishlist. I was thinking of a cheapy Banana pipe for the interim. I was thinking the same thing at first Acraze, but with a new chain it should hold up a while. Figure if a 300lb guy can hammer the pedals up a hill, that's way more torque than our little HT's, heh heh. I'm only 150 soaking wet, so that helps too I guess.

So, couple more pics after inverting the bars and gooseneck, spring gel seat swapped off old bike = way more comfortable now. Mirror, lights, little things...

Oh, and I found out 3/4" copper elbows fit perfectly on the NT carb! Whoo! Should get to use my new air filter after all!
that is exactly what i need for my dad's bike. the intake pipe!
thanks for good info!

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
looking good dude.
I like the mirror that you have.
looks big and easy to adjust.
where did you get the mirror?
i wonder if you have any problems with the shift kit.
i used to have lots of problems with the shift kit myself.
such as chain keep on jumping on high gears.
though i fixed it.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks guys. Yea I gotta get happy out more before he ships out. The mirror is just a $6 cheapy from Canadian Tire, but it does the trick. Walmart should have them too I think.

My chain used to hop now and then, but after switching to the grip shifter I got it dialed in pretty good. Just gotta blip the throttle between shifts. The chain did break on me once when it hopped while under power, I see why ppl love the internal geared hubs over having a cassette. But a 7-speed cassette is better than nothing, or 3 :p.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
try to loosen the chain on the left side.
that will help your bike chain jumping or skipping since the chain tension isn't constant( i don't know why but if you spin it around and the chain tension gets tight one spot and loose on others.)