Oil/fuel leaking from engine

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I normally wouldn't care if it were a tiny amount of oil coming out, but this is quite a bit. When I leave my bike in the garage overnight, I come back in the morning to find that it's left a large puddle that makes my whole garage smell like gas. I believe it is coming from under the engine from the gasket that's sandwiched between the 2 halves of the engine. Is this really normal or is there an easier way to fix this? I also remember to turn the cheesy stock petcock to the off position.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IME them cheesy petcocks are not reliable and the float valves aren't either!
Took a number of attempts to get the needle valve functioning.
(I couldn't figger a method to lap the needle/seat because they are so small)
I replaced my petcock with a more positive/effective one.
I'd suggest using a catch-tray beneath the MAB equivalent to the volume of fuel left in the tank until you can get the matter resolved so your floor isn't soaked each time it leaks.
I doubt the gasket between the case halves is the culprit because it's most likely the engine would not run if the gasket was that bad... bit it might be possible... still, that much fuel should not get to that point at any point in time.
Good luck
rc

and tnx for your post!
I'm gonna go out to the garage right now and search down my fire extinguisher.
Really bad habits... it should be in an easily accessible location at all times and it is NOT.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I think it might have had to do with the petcock. I don't know what I did, but when removing the line the fiddle with the carb, I placed it back on and now there is hardly any leakage. A few drips, but nothing like the big puddles I had before.