The 98er Fichtel & Sachs

GoldenMotor.com

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Today i got a present ( barnfind ) from a friend of mine : a motorbicycle engine from 1936 in acceptable condition, looks good, engine turns at good compression and has a strong spark. Only the flywheel cap is dented, but a replica costs 35,-€
The engine has 98 ccm and 2,3 hp at 3300 rpm . It's a 2-stroker with a 2-speed gearing.
Maybe one of my next projects ?

Last edited:

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
meanwhile i've figured out a few things : the carburetor isn't original, it's from a MZ RT 125 from the early german democratic republic. My engine must built before 1936, because the cooling fins of the cylinderhead are slanted, later models are vertical. And the crankshaft makes rumbling noises, i think the bearings are in bad condition, no matter, get a set of new for 25,-€ LOL
but first i must buy a special puller for the flywheel (M 27 x 1,25 ) to take the engine apart. NOS parts or replicas aren't a problem, all important parts like clutch discs, gaskets, bearings, flywheelcaps and many more are available, finally they've built 750.000 engines between 1932 and 1945
There was many manufacturers they've built motorbicycles with that engine, take a look at the link : http://www.sachsarchiv.de/hersteller/

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just now saw this thread... awesome bike. The gas tank is wonderful... where did it come from or did you make it? I love the engine and am just now fitting up the same one in a Worksman modified frame. Can't wait to get it all in order and fired up for the first time... sometime away though, so I have to be patient. Keep the photos coming and sometime share a video if you can. I have some progress shown in the Indian Tadpole thread and will start a new thread for the build called "Indian Hiawatha" pretty soon. I'd like to see more of these engines used as I think they are perfect. Powerful, but not insanely overpowered. Just right for a motored bicycle/ light motorcycle, which is exactly what they were designed for. German engineering... woohoo! I have on hand and have checked the differences in weight the Sachs, a Villiars 98 and a 68cc China Girl. The Sachs is one heavy duty chunk of machine. The China Girl feels like a toy in comparison.
If you would be so kind sometime to post links to sources in Germany for parts it would be much appreciated.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Could you give a close up of the engine mounts? Are those bolted on? I'm just now getting ready to make up mounts and was figuring to weld them to the frame, but maybe bolting would be just as good. Thanks.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Is there a data base for determining the year an engine was produced? Or is there a way to tell in the serial number what the year of manufacture is?
By the way, these motors have a lighting coil built in which I believe produces 5 watts. Perfect. I'm so glad to hear that parts are still being made for them.
SB

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
thank you for your interest, so many questions...

first, the gas tank is from my zuendapp-bike. i removed it from this, 'cause there was a leak and i must solder it.
also i don't want to use this old dutch bike for this project, i take it only to make some pictures from the engine with a bike.
if the project starts i will take a frame with some welded reinforcements to make it more durable, but it should look like the bike in my post #6.
the engine mountings are all bolted, see the pictures below. you only need to weld a few brackets to the frame and bolt that engine on !
yes, there is a data base for engine numbers : Brennabor Fichtel und Sachs Archiv 98 ccm 98er

for more informations look there at the right side under "seiten"

another interesting site with download section : www.oldSACHSmotor.de: die Motor-Daten

some engines are coming with a 17 watt lighting coil !
and there are more differences they've built, the sprocket was made for 2 chain versions :
1/2 X 3/16" for moped chain and 1/2 X 1/4" for motorcycle chain, you need a special made rear hub with sprocket for that,
also you need a special made 2-speed shifter to bolt in on the tank, and maybe they've changed over the years any things more they i don't know....

Attachments

Last edited:

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
sorry, that's all in german language, but to find replica and nos-parts for this engine look at these links :
SACHS Motor-Ersatzteile - www.schreiber-zweiradshop.de

http://www.motorrad-stemler.de/dcenter/down/vorkriegs.pdf

http://www.velo-classic.de/kat_2003.pdf

the velo-classic catalogue isn't very actual, but all the parts are available, look on side 51 !

...at last german's ebay : Motorrad | eBay

category : Oldtimer-Motorradteile

and a lot of little dealers they you can find only on swap meets !

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for posting the many links. It will take some time going through them, but a great resource of information is being accumulated.
I have a question you may not be able to answer now, but perhaps you can find out. You may be interested for yourself. I know that two modes of starting were offered. One was the pedal start and the other was a kick start. My engine is pedal start and I imagine that most came that way. A kick start would be especially nice for old guys who do not do well with pedaling. I have a disease of the central nervous system called Guillane Barre Syndrome which is similar to polio and makes pedaling difficult. My friend Fasteddy is crippled from an auto accident which did a number on his knees. He also has much difficulty with pedaling. It would be wonderful if a kick start could be added while retaining the pedals to keep it at least looking legal. If you run across someone who knows, please share your findings. Thanks!
SB

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Sorry SB, kickstartparts adding to a pedalstart engine doesn't work, cause the mechanical kickstart parts are in the engines housing, and they are too different. look at the pics !
but i will try to help you finding a kickstart engine in germany or europe, no problem !

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the clarification and link. Yes, I can see that there is no conflict in retaining pedals on the bike and also having the kick start model engine. That would be the best of both worlds and I'd love to have one.
I do pedal some and with the combination of the compression release and a full sized pedal sprocket, it should be OK getting the bike started. I would think, too, that the rear end could be lifted up with a rear drop stand and the pedals turned by hand to get it started. Not so cool as the kick start, of course. The canoe sidecar that my Indian will have is not so heavy that it can't be lifted up in back I think. One thing's for sure. I will get it started one way or another so that the wonder dog Aaniimoosh and I can ride off into the sunset with smiling faces (yes, she smiles when she's excited and happy). Woohoo!
SB