I almost punched this bike repair man

GoldenMotor.com

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
So I took a trip to a bike store in order to get some new hubs for my bike wheel and I told the dealer that I was motorizing my bike. He started to tell me it was such a bad idea and I asked him if he could put the hubs on for me because I have to go to computer science class for college. He said that he didn't want to work on my bike because I would have more fun peddling my bike and "Enjoying the work out". I swear he was very snoty and annoying and refused to even work with me. It's not like I'm over weight I'm 160 pounds and 6'2". Heh anyone ever run into these dick heads that have their views on MB?

PS) If you're shoping in phoenix for bike parts stay away from HoodRide Repair..cs.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There is one local bike shop that is supportive of motorized bicycling - and they're a BMX shop that has ties with the MX community.

Everybody else has been a snob about it.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It seems to be the general rule every where. Bike shops these days are all about "riding for exercise". If you could find a shop in some old farts home you would probably have a better experience. The spandex crowd have their nose up in the air so bad that in a good rain they would drown!

Terry

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
Yep. Between Grand Rapids and Holland here in Michigan I've found all of two shops that will work with the MB community. The rest are complete twats. Of the three in Holland, two of the shops wouldn't sell me $5 of ball bearings. I hit the third shop here and the dude was awesome. greasy bearded and wild eyed and wanted to take my Micargi stretch for a ride. He did, and now when I need wheels trued, pieces parts, etc, he takes care of me and shows an honest interest in it.. The guy in Grand Rapids started building them out himself and selling them, pretty much cutting my sales there off. I don't mind though, as I know that it means there will be more of us out there! :)

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
Hey Fulltimer - I see you are the same age as I am. And you are right about bike shops. Most don't even know what to do with a MB. And they want to call themselves bike mechanics. All they want to do is brag about how many miles they ride each year. And charge an arm and a leg for a simple repair. These spandex guys are a pain in the ***. All bikes are welcome at my little shop, out behind the house.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Oldguy and Fulltimer we are all the same age. We have a bike shop here in town that lets me use their tools to work on my bike. The other day I used their bottom bracket tap to chase the threads on my bike.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Almost punched doesn't count and a good thing because because you'd risk assault charges over nothing. DIY, learn to fix your own bike and if you can't on things like wheel lacing to be done just bring the wheels and hubs. The rest is just red meat.

Last edited:

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have found that the BMX types are much cooler to deal with than the the spandex. But it makes sense because BMX is one step away from dirt biking.

whisker chasin

Feb 23, 2011
Hernando,MS
Oldguy and Fulltimer we are all the same age. We have a bike shop here in town that lets me use their tools to work on my bike. The other day I used their bottom bracket tap to chase the threads on my bike.
Hey Elmo i'm also in mississippi. What town do you live in? sounds like a great shop.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I agree they are stuck up. Their prices are way to high. Is $50 bucks to lace and true a wheel to much? Cause I think so. By the time I do 2 or 3 wheels I could get a stand and learn how to do it myself. I know that it would take some trial and error but that is what motorbicycling is about and is half the fun. They wouldnt even let me use a tool one day but they where more then happy to charge me to do it and make me have to wait a day or 2 untill they could get to it. So I bought the tool I needed and used it and returned it the same day, told them it was the wrong one LOL.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm quite fortunate in that my LBS is quite friendly, while they'll not work on anything related to the motor - why should they? Actually, why would I want them to? It's not like they'd know anything about it, they are bicycle mechanics after all.

I really don't see what the problem is, wander into a motorcycle shop with a bicycle repair and they're gonna laugh, try takin' a Honda into a Harley shop sometime heh Sure, spokes are spokes - but people are people ;)

I figure it's pretty simple - any business that doesn't want yer money, bike shop or not for w/e reason, shouldn't get it. Any business that goes out of their way to treat ya right even if it's not really their thing deserves your business... no need to get all ruffled, there's plenty of other places that'll happily take yer pennies lol

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I agree they are stuck up. Their prices are way to high. Is $50 bucks to lace and true a wheel to much? Cause I think so. By the time I do 2 or 3 wheels I could get a stand and learn how to do it myself. I know that it would take some trial and error but that is what motorbicycling is about and is half the fun. They wouldnt even let me use a tool one day but they where more then happy to charge me to do it and make me have to wait a day or 2 untill they could get to it. So I bought the tool I needed and used it and returned it the same day, told them it was the wrong one LOL.
Regarding the price for lacing and truing a wheel. Not that I could easily afford paying $50.00, which is why I learned how to do my own, but I don't know that it is unreasonable. Depends to some degree on where a shop is located and how much it costs them to open their doors for business. No doubt the mechanic working in back would like to be able to send his kid to college, too, or go on a vacation sometime. I'm amused sometimes by people who earn a lot of money mostly for showing up on time for work. I have a friend who is a psychologist and works two days a week with benefits and earns $400.00 a day. I work on his bike doing things he doesn't know how to do and earn enough to help buy groceries. Yet, I can work at lacing up a wheel for him (recently did) which involved drilling out the hub for bigger spokes and he also would think that $50.00 for "just" lacing up a wheel which he knows nothing about, is a lot of money. Try it and then see what you think.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If there are enough shops at your local, then I should think you eventually just stay away from those shops that are not helpful. I did go to an REI to have a minor truing of 1 wheel and the guy gave an estimate quite reasonable. Also when the work was done was less than the estimate, think I paid $12.00 and was real happy with the work.

I had markings on the spokes and rim where I was at the time starting to see how I would make a clamping sandwich to the spokes to hold a washing machine pulley. I spoke with the tech about it and he didn't have any objection. I have a membership, but I once almost felt that when I interviewed for a job there, and was done with an unsuccessful interview, I would renounce my membership if I could. I know as an out of work Silicon Valley electronic technician that my resume is not quite the sales person they wanted, but I could have expected that the interviewer would not be so rude.

Stuff happens?

Measure Twice

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I go to bike shops all the time for parts. Stems, tires, seat posts, stuff like that.

I don't ever tell them it's for a motorbike, they don't need to know.