Complete kits...1st build?

GoldenMotor.com

sparky300

Jul 18, 2011
Albuquerque NM
So, I've searched, read and reread through the forums and I'll be damned if I have reached any real conclusion as to which kit to buy. Every time I think I made up my mind, I find something to dissuade myself from one or the other.

I started off thinking I'd do a HT 50cc 2-stroke frame mount, then to a Honda 35cc rack mount GEBE setup, then back to a frame mount, etc....

I'm not so concerned with top speed, although it would be nice, but I don't want to be flying in traffic and have the engine lock up because it sucked a valve or slipped a wristpin.

I guess my biggest prob is the lack of build quality and longevity with ANY HT engines (I'm not talking about carbs, mounts, crap like that), I mean the top-end and rotating assembly. The opinions seem pretty well divided between those that can't get one to stay running to get to the mailbox and other guys seem to get a ringer right out of the crate. Now,

1. I know it's a crapshoot when it comes to Chinese engines

2. I know that some tweaking and setup is required before installing any engine as well as proper break-in and maintenance

3. I know that most of the kit-engine carbs don't even make good paperweights

4. I have no prob upgrading parts beforehand, carb, pipe, plug, wires, etc

I have a high level of mechanical knowledge and ability (my fabrication skills may suffer though) so I guess I'm looking for any useful, real input here concerning 50cc engines, opinions are more than welcome.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
These motors are an education in 2 strokes, and you might get a decent motor out the other end. Maybe. if you stick with it.

if you want something good and fast, a custom mounted morini will provide, but not be cheap at the outset. But getting even decent performance out of a china engine will probably cost almost as much in the long run as a morini S6S.

Not saying not to do it, just that having a working motor bike is kinda a side effect of the process.