Idaho State senator gets 5 days jail for a DUI

GoldenMotor.com

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
If there ever is evidence of a double standard of how laws are applied between those who write the laws and those common folk who vote for those who write the laws it's this case.

It started about 2 weeks ago. Idaho State GOP senator, John McGee, was discovered one early morning sleeping in the back seat of a 2004 ford excursion that had a trailer with a couple of motorcycles hitched to it by the police. The problem? Well, this vehicle did not belong to him, it was jack knifed into a driveway of a house that didn't belong to him nor did this truck belong to the owner of the house where it was wrecked.

When the police woke up Senator McGee to interrogate him McGee had a blood alcohol level of .15 or almost 2 times the legal limit. McGee originally told the police that he was just a passenger. When that story fell apart rather quickly he spouted off some nonsense about 'trying to get to the promised land.' and other weird stuff. McGee was arrested on the spot for misdemeanor DUI, Felony Grand Theft and causing an accident that resulted in more than $1000 damage to someone else's property.

Sen. McGee arraigned on DUI, truck theft charge; bonds out of jail | KTVB.COM Boise

Now, McGee being a high ranking state senator, none of the local county prosecutors refused to take the case due to conflicts of interest. He wrote laws they were prosecuting. The case went from Ada county to Canyon County to Elmore County to Gem county etc. All declined so it went to Malhuer County who finally accepted the case. Malhuer County is in Oregon. During this McGee concocted an excuse for his weird behavior while in a drunken stuper. He hit his head while drunk and caused him to make poor choices. Ehem... Excuse me, WHAT!???!?!?!? Well, apparently the procecutor bought it. He made a plea deal that gave him 120 days jail with 115 days suspended and 24 hours community service. With the 2 days credit for time served that gave him 3 more days. He pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor DUI and the felony grand theft and causing an accident with $1000 damage was dropped. And the most interesting part is the lightning speed at which this case was disposed of from the time of the incident to sentencing. 2 WEEKS!!!!!!

I know some of you out there have gotten DUIs and have lost your driver's license as a resultdeal with santions far more strict than this. It wasn't clear that this senator has his suspended or not but still, Have you EVER heard of anyone of us normal folk out here been treated with such tender kids gloves for a dui and a felony auto theft?? Sure he took responsibility after the fact for the DUI but not for initially lying to the police and not the grand theft and property damage.

I am a conservative but I don't care if this guy was a GOP or not. This makes me furious. This guy obviously was not held to the same standards as the rest of us are when it came to ajudicating his crime. It sickens me to think of what kind of backroom deals were made to get off like that. This guy got drunk, stole a vehicle out of someone else's driveway and wrecked it in another neighbor's driveway while trying to get to the promised land. And what made me feel a bit more uneasy was watching his colleagues in both political parties in the state senate circle the wagons around this guy.

Last edited:

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Well said and I couldn't agree more. The only way he would have gotten less time is if he was the Police Chief's Son. We are no longer a free or fair society.