Womens Issues

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw this bike today. Maybe all you have to do is use the kids seat for the motor mount with this type of frame and have front wheel drive. I didn't check real close, but I think it is carbon fiber in the area where it goes to near ground level.

The last picture of this new build start is being eyed by the Black Lab, could that be the pilot of the new build?

Measure Twice

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice modification to the frame, Harry. I like it and she can still do a step through to mount the bike. If there isn't room for the in frame tank, one behind the seat would work, like a round cylinder (even one of those Villiars tanks). Very cool. Did you bend the frame piece or was that cut from a ladies' bike? Looks good!
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Silverbear, i like it a lot. The downtube was one i actually bent up for my Indian project, but unfortunately i wasnt thinking that day as when i went to trim it down for my Indian i somehow managed to cut it too short, but i tried it on this and the bend looked perfect, and this time i was a lot more careful to trim it down to the correct size. LOL now i just need to bend another for the Indian next time im over my friends house.

I think ill make a cardboard test tank and see if i prefer that over a tank i already have that could be mounted behind the seat.....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And my girlfriend took a little more interest in the project..... Im entering my Villiers build in a local low key, rat rod, DIY style hotrod show called "Greazefest". It costs the same to enter as to pay entry, so i figured id enter this (if ready) as well. I found out we would be judged in "King Lowrider" class which is a bicycle class, i was commenting to her that the "lowrider bicycle" community would be annoyed if i won, then she commented on her bike maybe beating mine, i said "Nah its a girls bike".......... mmmmmm i could see her thinking "No you didnt" LOL. So i said maybe you need to help more with design that way she can claim the victory for her design. She sat there actually designing a bike in her head. I was amazed..... she has showed little or no interest in MB's.

Anyway heres what she came up with.... purple (need to find a nice purple) frame and tank, with white detail. Silver engine with black details and silver rims, i told her i think white rims would look better but was up to her. She wants a basket and racks but not til after the show. Showbikes dont have racks i guess LOL. Im just glad she has showed a little interest.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think it's awesome that she is taking some ownership of "her" bike. That's very cool and you get big points for asking her to design it and going with it whether purple would have been your choice or not. A day will come when she initiates a bike ride... mark it on the calendar when she does. Ha! Especially when it doesn't matter one way or the other it is important to learn how to say, "You, right dear. Um hmm, yup, you right."
I like the cylindrical tank, too, but definitely ask what she thinks and whatever it is, agree. She will think you are very wise in agreeing with her good judgement. Or so it seems to me. I've been married three times and divorced the same amount so if you listen to my advice, you're nuts. Good luck.
SB

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Gads Harry... How big of a shoe horn you got anyway? The only thing I weould be a little concerned is the angle of the engine and get enough oil in it for the rod to splash without it leaking past the rings and fouling the plug. What is that about a 30 degree angle? I think if it were me I would rake that head tube out a little and extend the drop loop to get it a little more on the vertical but each to his own. Looks good though, I will have to try a woman's bike someday, not like I haven't thought about it as every time I go to the bike swaps there are far more girls bikes than boys and a lot cheaper.

PS : Wanna sell that green tank? I would be more than happy to give it a good home behind my butt on a build I am getting ready to do if the tank mod doesn't work out...

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
LOL Silverbear, always willing to listen to any advice, bike building or with women.

And Mark, as far as the angle of the motor is concerned, i saw "Boogerballs" and he fitted a Briggs almost horizontal (and at least a lot more horizontal then mine) in his "Briggs Slant-Single Rat" build over at "ratrodbikes.com" in the bikes with motors section. And as i payed $10 for two 3hp Briggs motors i sort of am willing to take the risk of it blowing up. Boogerballs said he hasnt been riding it for a while but has ridden it with no problems.

I know what you are saying about having more room for the engine. But my girlfriend isnt very tall and she seems more comfortable on a small bike so i didnt bother stretching it as she wouldnt want a bigger then necessary bike.

Stretching the rake will make it handle worse, maybe it would be more stable at speed but i dont think she will be going faster enough to get the benefit. I will make guards for the flywheel and primary belt so it should be safe for her. I may even put fender guards on it (if the boss wants em that is) and weld sheet metal to the sides for dress guards.

Im in Australia so the postage for that tank would be killer. And i will use it, if not this project, it will be another.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
LOL Silverbear, always willing to listen to any advice, bike building or with women.

And Mark, as far as the angle of the motor is concerned, i saw "Boogerballs" and he fitted a Briggs almost horizontal (and at least a lot more horizontal then mine) in his "Briggs Slant-Single Rat" build over at "ratrodbikes.com" in the bikes with motors section. And as i payed $10 for two 3hp Briggs motors i sort of am willing to take the risk of it blowing up. Boogerballs said he hasnt been riding it for a while but has ridden it with no problems.

I know what you are saying about having more room for the engine. But my girlfriend isnt very tall and she seems more comfortable on a small bike so i didnt bother stretching it as she wouldnt want a bigger then necessary bike.

Stretching the rake will make it handle worse, maybe it would be more stable at speed but i dont think she will be going faster enough to get the benefit. I will make guards for the flywheel and primary belt so it should be safe for her. I may even put fender guards on it (if the boss wants em that is) and weld sheet metal to the sides for dress guards.

Im in Australia so the postage for that tank would be killer. And i will use it, if not this project, it will be another.
Oh well good luck.. As far as Brisbane I wouldnt mind the postage LOL... BTW I have a good friend in Brisbane that has shipped me a small freezer load of jump steak over the last couple of years (Roo meat if the yanks dont know what jump steak is) LOL...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Haha i didnt know what jump steak was......... I see many roos that arent far from my house, maybe i should get me some jump steak........mmmmmmmm jump steak lol

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Haha i didnt know what jump steak was......... I see many roos that arent far from my house, maybe i should get me some jump steak........mmmmmmmm jump steak lol
Yea her husband uncles and dad raise them ostrich and emu and sell the meat commercially to the US exotic meat companies. We used have the Emery World Wide hub here in Dayton and I had friends that worked there so we got 50lb boxes with the meat frozen in dry ice usually within 36 hours and they cleared customs quick. I love roo and ostrich but dont care too much for emu. Since Emery closed though I have had a couple deliveries that were only partially frozen and stinky bad. I really miss the smoked roo sausages, loin and ribs... Far better for you than beef by all accounts too.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I made my motor mounts out of some angle and i tack welded them in....

I have this Mikuni carb and i will need to make an inlet manifold.

This is probably where i should position it....

But id really like to tuck it out of the way. Id like to put it somewhere down here. But that would be a long inlet manifold. Would that be ok or make my bike run bad? Otherwise i could just face the carb pointing outwards but higher up.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Unfortunately that green tank looks too large behind the seat..... I made a mockup tank out of cardboard....

I dont mind the look of it but im wondering if it will stop airflow to my engine and cause it to overheat. Thoughts? Also wondering if the tank would be big enough, how thirsty are these Briggs motors?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What about running the green tank lengthwise behind the seat instead of crosswise? You'd need a rear rack of some sort to make that work. Would it work above the engine? How about a camel back tank behind the seat like the very first model of Indian?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was just looking at the profile of the bike. I think the tank as you have it mocked up looks cramped and conflicts with the engine. It want's it's own space. I think the camel back behind the seat would mirror the swoop of the front down tube, giving a sort of echo of the same or similar shape. It might look good that way. Put the Indian decal on each side of the tank and you have the model #1.5 Indian never put into production... the very rare prototype which is the only one on the planet, now known in collector's circles as the "Priceless Indian". Ask the little woman what she thinks is best. It's her bike. Show her a picture of the first Indian, the other options and let her decide. Then if it turns our goofy, it's her fault. Ha!
SB

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
A long manifold should be fine. We experimented with manifold length on our 6.5hp engines. We made manifolds from 2" up to 9". The long manifolds would actually get cold and drip with condensation. This reminded me of a tunnel ram on v-8 engines. The longer manifolds also created a little more low to mid range power although not as noticeable in mild engines.

We don't have a manifold that will work on a Briggs. We also don't sell long manifolds anymore due to cost and other reasons. Just wanted to let you know a long manifold should be fine on your Briggs.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I did ask the boss about the tank behind the seat, she didnt like it, at all, and i did actually think of the Indian rear guard/tank. But im not the biggest fan in most cases of tanks anywhere other then inframe, plus this bike will have full racks for carrying things in its future.

I actually dont mind the tank as it is, with the tank color coded i dont think it will look out of place at all, i think it gives it a look cross between a moped and trials bike in appearance. But if i hear that it would most likely cause my motor to overheat i will be considering these optiond
My only concern is if the tank will stop too much airflow to the engine

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Harry I like the style of the mock up but as you said you might cook the top end. Might just try to restyle it a little so it is more narrow in the back?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Another tank option.... id maybe making or modifying an existing tank to sit over the top tube more like a traditional motorcycle tank, or a fuel tank behind the seat but in front of the wheels, like some BTR's have for tool kits. But this would depend on where my jackshaft will go...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Harry even if you make a tank that sits low and wont gravity feed you could mount one of the cheepie Briggs fuel pump and get the pulse for it off of the valve cover. I think they are around $12 but you can prolly get a used one at a lawnmower shop for less...

Last edited: