Cannot seem to get it to idle.

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I am having some issues with my engine getting to idle at a stop with the lever pulled in. I have the idle screw turned all the way in on my CNS Carburetor and it still dies. :-|| What should i do?

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Kinda really need more info to diagnose one of these little jewels...
Could be the clutch adjustment.
Best
rc

or even too much lube oil in the fuel...

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Kinda really need more info to diagnose one of these little jewels...
Could be the clutch adjustment.
Best
rc

or even too much lube oil in the fuel...
clutch is adjusted fine. when i lift up the rear wheel it doesnt spin. Inside the carburetor its open 1/4 of the way with the screw all the way in. The throttle has to be at 3/8 open to keep it running.

running 25:1 with yamalube 2R Semi-Synthetic. Spark plug it cocoa brown

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Have You checked to make sure you have no air leaks at all? If you have I would try rechecking one more time for air leaks. They can be a pain to find but make a good bit of difference when you do. I missed an air leak that I couldnt find till I checked for the third time.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I like the yamalube... good stuff! 25:1 is probably more than it needs, but is probably not causing the problem.

Intake leak, funky plug or wire, float level set wrong, crud in a jet, restricted air cleaner, leaky head gasket, bad crank seal, low compression from worn rings...
Gosh, really could be a number of things, or a combination all contributing to the problem.

Start with the easiest ones for you to deal with and hope for an improvement.
Then move on to the next test...

Or maybe someone with the exact same setup and problem will come along with a solution.

Probably a good time to review the CNS tuning thread. :)
Best
rc

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
make sure the fuel filters are not clogged some times new gas tanks aren't completely clean an can clog the pre filter(the one attached to the fuel valve inside the tank) pretty quick, even if you see fuel flowing it may be hindering it. if you see dirt i prolly would take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning too. hope that helps

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I like the yamalube... good stuff! 25:1 is probably more than it needs, but is probably not causing the problem.

Intake leak, funky plug or wire, float level set wrong, crud in a jet, restricted air cleaner, leaky head gasket, bad crank seal, low compression from worn rings...
Gosh, really could be a number of things, or a combination all contributing to the problem.

Start with the easiest ones for you to deal with and hope for an improvement.
Then move on to the next test...

Or maybe someone with the exact same setup and problem will come along with a solution.

Probably a good time to review the CNS tuning thread. :)
Best
rc
Yeah i think its a air leak on the manifold to carb connection. I am going to check out the pilot jet though since the jets get clogged on small engines easily.

Yeah it has to be a clogged jet because it seems as though the pilot jet is clogged since it wont idle it will only run off the main jet thats my best guess ill go check it out right now.

dasmo

Jul 13, 2009
canada
I had the same problem that I could never seem to fix. I got a new engine since I needed a couple new parts and with the worry that this industry would get shut down I got another engine so I would have a replacement for everything (a Grubee skyhawk). Once I got it it looked so much better than my existing engine I just swapped them out and problem gone along with the nagging feeling I gotta be able to solve this.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
You can do an ez check for an intake leak at that carb to manifold connection by putting a small blob of bearing grease around the seal area, or even squirting a bit of 30wt motor oil there, which won't last quite so long... you're probably gonna need to clean it off to work on it anyway...
rc

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I did have to clean the idle jet on my engine, could not see the sun through it but fuel would flow. So I used a torch cleaning set to smooth the jet, now I can start my bike by lifting the bike and spinning the wheel by hand. It starts on the first or second time.