Brass fittings for hanging tank and tool box?

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
So Im in the plotting and planing stage of a worksman BTR I love Sportcarpats work but most pics I see the tanks and tool box/oil tanks ar affixed with what apear to be el'cheepo pressed aluminum pipe hangers from Home Despot (delebrate misspelling) :) I wanna build a Brass age bike and that means brass fittings. Anybody know a source in brass of what Im talking about? Thanks in advance.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
So Im in the plotting and planing stage of a worksman BTR I love Sportcarpats work but most pics I see the tanks and tool box/oil tanks ar affixed with what apear to be el'cheepo pressed aluminum pipe hangers from Home Despot (delebrate misspelling) :)
Hey Velodrome,
Ouch, that's harsh. At one time I used off the shelf straps but not from Home Depo. I used McMaster-Carr and they were stainless. It's been quite some time since I used those straps. Currently I use a laser cut stainless steel strap design that I form myself. Here is a quick shot of something current where you can see the straps. Good luck on your build. The Worksman bike is a good place to start.
Pat

RACER 5 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
So Im in the plotting and planing stage of a worksman BTR I love Sportcarpats work but most pics I see the tanks and tool box/oil tanks ar affixed with what apear to be el'cheepo pressed aluminum pipe hangers from Home Despot (delebrate misspelling) :) I wanna build a Brass age bike and that means brass fittings. Anybody know a source in brass of what Im talking about? Thanks in advance.
I wish, I looked for quite a while for some brass sheet/strapping (locally tho, not the 'net) & ended up using copper roof flashing instead as that was readily available...

...but I will shamefully admit I'd planned on jus' using the aforementioned "el'cheepo pressed aluminum pipe hangers from Home Despot" (ossum word abuse BTW), in fact I even used them for a lil while while workin' on the build, maybe ya saw some of my pics *shrug* w/e the case may be, it's not unhandy that the custom mounts match commonly available pipe hangers on the off chance a quick replacement is needed... or so I tell meself anyway lol

Even tho they were treated steel and not aluminum, the plumbing hangers were so gaudy they didn't last long - I'd even picked up some "copper" ones, but not only did those turn out to be just copper coated (thanks, lying advert) they were also clear coated and stamped with statements of the obvious (size & type of clamp), so they'd always be very shiny as they told the world what they really were lol

The real copper has "aged" quite well now... I'd still buy some brass if I found it (& will be stalkin' this thread heh), but I figure the copper "good 'nuff" if all else fails ;)

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
PAT! Sorry Dude!! Did not mean to be rude or harsh. I have the highest respect for your fabrication work. Had no idea thoes were custom hangers. I can only go with what I see in the pict's and pict's on the web are not the same as seeing a product in person. SOOO... Could you have the same cut from brass stock?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Barely. Nice job on the copper. Thats a possability. What did you use a a mandrele to form them? As long as they dont go green on you; why not! I think I would prefer brass though. I think brass might be a more durable choice against vibration and stress cracking but I'm really only guessing. Besides: too many copper theives out here. Might come out from the coffee shop to find my tank hanging from the hose and my $3 copper fittings gone!:eek:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey Velodrome, no worries, I was just messing with you. Straps were expensive and never quite the right size so I finally just spent the time to draw them up in CAD and have them cut. They are a pain to bend up. Yes they can be cut in different materials but where I work it's 99% stainless that we use so if I throw something else at the laser guys they just roll their eyes at me, so stainless it stays.
Pat

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Barely. Nice job on the copper. Thats a possability. What did you use a a mandrele to form them? As long as they dont go green on you; why not! I think I would prefer brass though. I think brass might be a more durable choice against vibration and stress cracking but I'm really only guessing. Besides: too many copper theives out here. Might come out from the coffee shop to find my tank hanging from the hose and my $3 copper fittings gone!:eek:
I formed them around a chunk o'pipe he same OD as my bike's frame, using a lil patience & some harsh language :p Copper is quite malleable & easy to work with, tho it does "work harden" after a while.

"Going green" is a concern, but the green patina on copper actually takes quite a long time to form, and even a lil bit of occasional contact (wipe down w/rag or w/e) will prevent it. Here's a coupla pics of the same copper over a year & roughly 4000 miles later... pardon the filth, it's well "loved" heh;

As it's roof flashing, it's a lil on the thin side... while that made it really easy to work - I should have made "D" shaped washers to keep the straps from distorting a bit still... there's no signs of fatigue & I've gotten distracted by other shiny stuff at this point...

TBH, I really dunno if brass is more or less "durable choice against vibration and stress cracking" than copper of the same thickness, I s'pose it depends on the composition *shrug* Still, brass is beautiful & I really do hope ya find some (s'long as ya pass on the link lol) :)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If all else fails, I s'pose ya could keep an eye out for ol' brass to chop up at a thrift store or w/e, like this busticated pile of parts at work... I've been yelled at a coupla times 'cause I was givin' it "the look" lol

looks like scrap to me o.o

...but newer stuff tends to be jus' plated, like the base of the lamp in the pic (shade is all brass tho) *shrug*

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
If you don't mind red or black powder coat I have a couple used ones kicking around. They only fit the Worksman INB frame, though.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! V.........
Try a plumbing Supply Dist. in yer town, I was in Delano Calif. recently Re-Habilitating a house for my Dad, built in 1943, it had exposed brass and copper plumbing in the shower and coming up through the floor to the tub, the anchor straps were 1" cast brass,we replaced most of the tile work and plumbing but kept it the way it was originally and got our components from a local comm. plumbing dist. $5.50 each.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Being a advocate of DIY, these are actually pretty easy to make.

Simply put a piece of brass flat stock in a vise around a scrap of tubing that matches your frame. Cushion the brass from the vise jaws with a heavy piece of fabric or thin leather.

The flat stock should be quite a bit over length, expect some waste.

Bend the first 90° (easy) and then start moving and bending until you have a full 180°. Flip this “u” shaped piece over (still around the tubing) into the vise to the right depth and bend the taps away from center.

Be sure to subtract the thickness of your flat stock from the overall desired height before bending the taps. A rubber mallet may be helpful here.

Trim the taps to your desired length, round off the ends( ?) and drill.

12” pieces of this type of flat stock in various sizes can be found at any good hobby shop.

Although I’d recommend trying it cold first, brass can easily be annealed by heating to cherry red, then working it right after it has cooled.

After a while (maybe as fast as a hour, perhaps a day or two) it will return to it’s prior hardness. The more you work it the quicker it hardens again, re-anneal if necessary.

But like I said try it cold from the store first, because as while it’s annealed the greater the chance there is of maring or crushing it in the vise. On the other hand it may crack when you bend the taps, so annealing may be necessary.

Determining the correct height is the hardest part and you very well may screw the first one or two up- But there really should be a short learning curve here-

Good luck and post pics!

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey, velo, I really like the brass look, just soooo vintage, but most brass is more brittle than copper and can stress fracture over time. A lot of decorative brass is plated these days and cast brass is both hard and brittle. If you can find an old " hopefully used" army mortar shell, say at a surpluses store??? It would be pure brass and already have a round shape if you slice across it. Just thinking.