SkyHawk GT5 (re)-build.

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Four summers ago I got the cheapest 66cc kit I could get.
It served me well up in till the end of last summer when the engine completely totally died. Probably had 5,000 miles on it. The ring retaining pin came loose, ate the crap out of the wall. Limped it along for a few more days when finally the piston started hitting the head and pretty much destroyed the whole thing... So it sat under a snowbank all winter.
I really didn't have much issues with the thing, except the carb was a total POS. I modified a lawn mower carb to fit it....

So today I ordered a SkyHawk GT5 slanthead and the $20 "High Performance Carburetor, Gen B." Whatever that means... Hopefully better than the POS carb on my last engine.
Dragged the bike into my garage. Pulled off the old engine and cleaned all the grease, oil, etc off it. Ready for a new motor!!! Woo. I'm excited to have my MB back with gas prices going crazy.

I was going to go full custom build, but I already have all my custom parts for the HT engines.

One question though.. what exactly is the upgraded carb? haha. Does it have more than one jet for better tuning?
Anyway, here's a pic from years ago when I first got my MB build running
Waiting for shipping is going to kill me. hah. Also, I need to get a bigger tank, I think 2gal would be great. Not too bulky, but I could probably get over 200 miles out of it.

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
My old NT carb was total garbage. I had to take it apart at least once a week to make it work right. Not to mention a lot of silly mods to make it work right.

If it's a better built carb, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. And making a larger intake isn't a problem for me. With my grinder and welder I can make whatever I want. haha.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
My old NT carb was total garbage. I had to take it apart at least once a week to make it work right. Not to mention a lot of silly mods to make it work right.
Funny, that's what a lot of people are saying about the new CNS carby.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I love my NT carb. I didn't like the POS air filter it came with though. It had wide open bypass areas right by the filter element.

Amazing. Nah, it's China stuff. Expected.

But my carberator has never been a problem. It starts up fast, it makes the bike go faster than I want it to, it has good low end torque I can pop at 3-4 MPH and it will just pull me up, it idles nice, it doesn't leak, the choke works good, it has a primer button so I don't even need to use the choke and it doesn't leak.

Yeah, my 3 yr old NT carb is working good - :)