Oil mixture

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Eric,
Toss the manual, wire your engine like the diagram above, solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing to protect them.

Close the choke, depress the primer button for a few seconds, 3 to 5, hold the clutch lever in and start pedaling. Get up to about 8 to 10mph, let out the clutch, continue to pedal while twisting the throttle just a little.

That puppy should fire. When it does, keep going and don't try to stop and let it idle. You'll need to reach down and open the choke (lever down)These little engines run best when they're warm. They can be problematic when cold.
Good luck, let us know how things go.
Thanks for the pictures. Now the next ones I want to see your dad smiling, like this :)
Tom

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Eric,
Toss the manual, wire your engine like the diagram above, solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing to protect them.

Close the choke, depress the primer button for a few seconds, 3 to 5, hold the clutch lever in and start pedaling. Get up to about 8 to 10mph, let out the clutch, continue to pedal while twisting the throttle just a little.

That puppy should fire. When it does, keep going and don't try to stop and let it idle. You'll need to reach down and open the choke (lever down)These little engines run best when they're warm. They can be problematic when cold.
Good luck, let us know how things go.
Thanks for the pictures. Now the next ones I want to see your dad smiling, like this :)
Tom
I already chucked the manual, nothing in it is correct at all.

I'm going to take my time and wire it all up exactly the way you all showed... Luckily I know a little about making good wire connections and shrink tubing.

Yesterday all it did was do a little "chug" and kept doing that as long as I kept pedaling. The head got slightly warm....

Has to be a weak spark....we'll soon find out.

Thanks.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The white wire is supposed to be a 6 volt output to be used with a headlamp. If you decide to use it, use LEDs for the lamp instead of an incandescent bulb, it loads down the engine, and might not idle well.

Otherwise, just cap off the white wire and tuck it away.

As far as the green wire going to the frame, you are using the frame as a conductor back to the black wire, which is connected internally to the engine, and thus connected to the frame.
Paint, oil, grease on the frame can interfere with this connection, so for best results, connect the green wire directly to the black wire.
Ignition Electrical Diagram alt color .jpg

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Well...... Still nothing after pedaling at least 5 miles...I'm beat, real beat.

I made a youtube video so you all can see what I did...I'm out of ideas and about to give in. This engine will not do anything...has lots of gas and a spark.

YouTube - DSCF3009

I have started and ran everything from racing 358 engines for dirt cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, radio control airplane engines and even a minature RC turbine jet engine.

This engine has me clueless.....Thanks for helping out guys, but I believe I'm done.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, Eric I sure hate to see you quit on the bike, If it does have correct fire to the plug, and it has Air/fuel ( and isnt flooded ) and it has good compression, the only other thing it needs to run is.........proper timing, if the flywheel key is sheared or possibly missing from lack of installation in china motor plant, it will never run, but will still show to have fire to plug.

The next thing I would do is to take off the mag. cover and with an impact if you have one remove the nut so you can remove the little flywheel and check to make sure it has a good key in, if not you can make one out of a piece of a flat washer.

just trying to think of another possibility that might help you get that sucker fired up and cruising.

Peace

Well...... Still nothing after pedaling at least 5 miles...I'm beat, real beat.

I made a youtube video so you all can see what I did...I'm out of ideas and about to give in. This engine will not do anything...has lots of gas and a spark.

YouTube - DSCF3009

I have started and ran everything from racing 358 engines for dirt cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, radio control airplane engines and even a minature RC turbine jet engine.

This engine has me clueless.....Thanks for helping out guys, but I believe I'm done.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Everything looks good in the video.
I don't know where in NY you are,or the kind of weather/temps you are having, but here on LI (Nassau county) I don't even need to choke the engine when starting.

Well electrical seems to be taken care of, what about the carb?

Did you check to see that the jet in the bowl is fully screwed in and seated?

I would turn the idle screw far enough in so that the sleeve is up and you have about a 1/4 inch gap there. No choke, just hold the primer fro about a second, and give it a whirl. I would now even bother turning the throttle, let the 1/4 inch gap do the work for you.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, Mapbike is right. Look at the magnet. With the flats at the top and bottom, the keyway should be at around one 'o clock (or 7 'o clock)

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Yes, Mapbike is right. Look at the magnet. With the flats at the top and bottom, the keyway should be at around one 'o clock (or 7 'o clock)

I actually made some video of the mag... Give me a moment and I'll upload it.

I'll give it one more chance tomorrow, but dad and I have been thinking of a 4 stroke.... Pull start, quality ease to run ect ect for a 67 year old man.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Remove that nut that holds the flywheel on and check the key, if it is sheared or missing, your timing is incorrect and ould very well be your problem if all else is good.

I'll do that for sure(I'd REALLY like to hear this thing run) I do have spark, but as you say the timing may be off due to missing keyway or crappy quality control.

If it is missing, I'm going to be like.. "China has to get it's shiat together.

I'm willing to go a couple hundred or more if I can find a two stroke made in USA that has a promise to actually run. I like the looks of the two stroke over the 4 stroke, but for dad's sake I think 4 stroke would be the better option.

How hard is it to take that nut off?.... Do I need a puller? I don't have an impact wrench

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You remove the spark plug and can put a piece of rope into the spark plug hole to stop the piston from moving, or you can take off the clutch cover and stuff a rag between the big and little gears to keep them from turning. The nut should come off easily.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
You remove the spark plug and can put a piece of rope into the spark plug hole to stop the piston from moving, or you can take off the clutch cover and stuff a rag between the big and little gears to keep them from turning. The nut should come off easily.
You can also grab the magnet sides with a pair of channellocks and use a wrench on the nut.

If you need to take the magnet off, you'll want to take the magneto off first (with those four Philips screws). A faucet puller from a hardware store is a great tool for pulling the magnet off the end of the crank, but it's also doable - carefully - with a pair of box end wrenches evenly prying it out.

You shouldn't need to pull the magnet unless you need to replace the woodruff key; the key should be visible after you take the nut off.
Great tips, thank you.

I'll make it a point to check the key tonight and for proper timing.
It seems like that is a possibility, because I do have a spark when I have the plug out on the engine fin and running beside it looking at the plug. It does seem to jump around a bit around the spark plug electrode.. It isn't a consistent spark that I am used to seeing on a car or something. So the timing just may be off.. I hope so and I'll fix it, because I really want to hear it run.

If all else fails....I MAY just spend another lump of cash and get ANOTHER engine.... and hope that one will take off. If that one doesn't work either..then I'll be done.

Back to the drawing board:-||

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, that sucks. I hope you get it running so you can get the next "happy time" when parts start falling off in the road.

Mine works, but I will never do another. I am very happy with it, it looks really cool, turns heads and makes people smile at me.

But too much frustration, too much tinkering and no confidence of it's reliability. Not something I'd want to get more than a few miles from home on.

Yeah baby, get that thing running! Good luck!

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Yeah, that sucks. I hope you get it running so you can get the next "happy time" when parts start falling off in the road.

Mine works, but I will never do another. I am very happy with it, it looks really cool, turns heads and makes people smile at me.

But too much frustration, too much tinkering and no confidence of it's reliability. Not something I'd want to get more than a few miles from home on.

Yeah baby, get that thing running! Good luck!
Exactly.

My dad is 67 and has a bum shoulder from being in construction all his life, so if he has to say a prayer and cross his finger every time he wants to ride, I believe we'll just go with a 4 stroke/pull start deal for him.

He told me last night he'd pay whatever for a 4 stroke if it is reliable and starts well. So I am currently looking into that, because he REALLY wants a motorized bike like this for camp and lazy Sunday mornings
I still want to get that two stroke fired up and if I do, I'll most likely make that my bike and put a 4 stroker together for dad.

Just sucks, because he really wants this to happen, I'm the family's "mechanic" lol... and I am looking quite dumb ATM, because I can't get this thing to fire. I'd like him to be happy, but this damn thing won't run.

I''ll go through the Magneto tonight and see if that works... It's my last attempt though.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
So you know, the timing is fixed. The magnet is fixed in place by the key.

It's not out of the question that the magnet might be on backwards, too, now that I think of it ...

The more I learn about these engines the more I believe it could very well be on backwards lol.

I'll take some good snapshots before I take things apart.

One thing I did notice is the magnet parts have some sort of metal flakes on them.. Seems somewhat dirty with a little metal flakage magnetized to it.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If all else fails....I MAY just spend another lump of cash and get ANOTHER engine.... and hope that one will take off.
I think that is reasonable.
When the other, new engine is running and all, you can substitute parts one by one from the non-running engine onto it, carb, CDI, magneto, etc., to see which one was giving you the grief, then you can mash the culprit with a hammer.

Lastly, don't give up, keep trying, and if you feel fed up with it, walk away for a while and come back to it later.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Air/Fuel Correct Ratio, The right (HOT BLUE & not weak orange) Spark, Good Compression, Correct Timing these are the only things needed for an internal combustion engine to start & run and of coarse no big air leaks.

Hang in there and get these things right with the engine you have and you will be riding that bike up & down the road soon....

Best wishes to you & your dad!

Peace

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Got all done messing with the woodruff and magnet.

One thing I noticed is the magnet goes forward or backwards on the crank before it catches and turns the crank. This crappy video will show what I mean.

YouTube - Pieceofshit

I took it for a spin and now it will kinda feel like it has an air-lock and almost throw me over the bars. We even pulled it behind the lawn mower for half mile....still nothing.

I give up.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I'm pretty sure that magnet is on backwards. Also, the looseness is bad, but it's supposed to be really pressed tight on the crank. If the nut was only finger tight, it needs to be torqued down good.

But before you do that, let me check my magnet to make sure I'm right about yours being backwards.
The nut was tight, but the magnet, I pulled off with my fingers. Seems like the only thing resisting was the magnetic force. As in the video.. you can see me rock the magnet back and forth on the crank ... It is very loose.