Do shifter kits help to ride up hills?

GoldenMotor.com

jamesrg

Mar 30, 2011
Provo UT
Hi! I'm new at these motorized bikes. I purchased a generic Chinese two stroke slant head 66cc kit online. I've had it installed and riding for a couple of months now.
It doesn't go quite as fast as i had hoped. about 23-24 mph tops. on flat ground. And it doesn't have enough power even pedaling to get up a steep hill.
The bike I put the motor on is a non alloy steal frame cruiser and I weigh about 220 so weight is a factor.
Ive been looking at purchasing a shift kit. My question is does the shifter jack shaft kit help in top speed? Or more importantly. really help to get up the hills and how steep? Also is it worth the $150 for standard or $200 for HD kit. Witch one should i purchase?
Any thoughts, thanks!
.shft.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
it will definitely help to maximize the output of the engine. the big gears help climb hills and the small gears are good for speed.

I always buy the hd kit, i wouldn't buy the standard kit because the freewheel is junk. only buy the hd deluxe kit if you don't have the tools.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...It doesn't go quite as fast as i had hoped. about 23-24 mph tops. on flat ground. And it doesn't have enough power even pedaling to get up a steep hill...

...My question is does the shifter jack shaft kit help in top speed? Or more importantly. really help to get up the hills and how steep?
vtec is on the money, shiftkits & gears help give ya the best of both worlds by providing low gears for hills & high for max cruise speed...

However, I did wanna mention that simply having the ability to utilize more than one gear wont actually "help in top speed" as in your maximum achievable speed. If the final gearing is the same, it doesn't matter how many gears ya used to get there - that simply improves acceleration, it very much helps "get up the hills" however and "how steep" is limited only by how low ya wanna gear it.

"Top speed" requires more power, to overcome mechanical drag & wind resistance - get more power by tuning the engine, once you've that you can regear to take advantage of it. "23-24 mph" is a lower average for a stock out-of-the-box 66 on flat ground, you may wish to consider a bit of tinkerin' around ;)

jude

Feb 16, 2009
australia,nsw
yes they sure do , i run a hp 70cc engine from Rocksolid , with a HD Shift kit from Sick Bike Parts , and i can climb the steepest hills i can find , and i have so much power in 1st gear it has flipped the bike and the i landed on my back , a bit winded , but so much fun , hope i have helped , also my top speed is around 65-70km/hr ,. Rocksolid can supply , porcilan coated piston , cnc button high compression heads , and lots of after market parts , and they are in south australia .

G_Man

Mar 31, 2011
sydney
Kool i run a Sick Bike parts shift kit found them to be great i can ride up really steep hills with not to much strain at the peddals . I would definately recomend having them on anybike .

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I would definitely love a jack shaft kit, but upping your rear sprocket to 50t or 52t will make a significant improvement in hill climbing, my top speed didn't really change when I made the switch, I am a heavy guy so I think it was weight more than gearing was maxxing me out so the larger sprocket got me to top speed with a little more zip. I scored a larger sprocket in the swap and shop section for the price of shipping.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
There is definately something wrong with your engine if you are only getting 23 mph top speed and cant go up hills without pedeling....I have owned 7 kits and all of them except one maxes out at top speed of 28 to 31 mph and can climb any steep hill without having to pedal....I am running a 44 tooth sprocket....

One of the engines I bought from BGF only maxed out at around 22 to 23 mph to and no matter what tinkering I did to it,it never reached a better top speed and it was kinda lacking in power as well....

If you plan of spending 200 bucks on a shift kit,I would suggest buying a new engine as well,You can buy just the engines them selfs for around 75 bucks or so....
John

jamesrg

Mar 30, 2011
Provo UT
So what i gather is it might be the engine?
To get more power for top speed I need to do some tuning. what about a performance air filter or expansion exhaust?
The shift kit will help but mostly on hills to change the gearing ratios but not a big difference top in speed?
And a 50 or 52 tooth sprocket would help if I don't get shift kit.
Thanks! for all the replies and info! it helps to know whats the best investment for my time and money before hand. I will consider you're suggestions.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
If you have that "black cat" exhaust, that thing cuts down on high-end power. I had a couple of those, they aren't made for the high end at all. Changing the exhaust is arguably the single most rewarding mod along with manually porting your engine. Do em both!