Boardie Bike Stand

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I keep having the same problem building my boardies. I have a nice bike assembly stand, but it is the type that clamps the frame tube. Works good when I start the assembly but as things progress I keep moving the clamp around until I have nowhere left to clamp. So I bought an automotive engine stand and modified it into what you see here, a stand that supports the frame where the kickstand mounts. Now I can put the whole bike together no problem, and I can roll it around the shop easily. Here I have a partially assembled Sportsman WZ Flyer sitting rock solid on my new assembly stand. Makes my life easier!

DSC06155 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here you can see how simple the support stand is. Just set the frame in place and tighten the bracket.

DSC06156 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think I'm going to make one too. It's a fantastic idea. Pat, I'm glad you share these things. I was starting to wonder what I was going to do myself. I plan to have a little tank by the seatpost too.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I think I'm going to make one too. It's a fantastic idea. Pat, I'm glad you share these things. I was starting to wonder what I was going to do myself. I plan to have a little tank by the seatpost too.
The hardest part was figuring out what angle to cut the engine stand so the frame would sit level. I can now sit in a chair and work on the bike or stand next to it without all the bending over. I may add a sheet metal tool tray to it next.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
This is a great idea.
I've only got one more bike in my to do on my bucket list (a 9HP), but it sure would have been nice for the earlier two and it would have allowed me to make better bikes and it might be worth making up one of these for the next project that I want to be real, real nice.
I would also like to get a triangular stand for the rear wheel so I could start it and tune my bikes easier but I can't find one commerically and don't have a shop at home. Most of the times they crank fine but it's easier to adjust with the rear wheel in the air also when working with the chain. Those commercial rear wheel kickstands are too weak for sitting on, wish someone would come up with a heavier commercial rear stand that would be attached to the bike...wish,wish, wish.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hoodoo,
I make a pretty heavy duty removable rear stand. It makes a great display stand and is solid enough to kick start a china engine. One of these days I will finish up my rear stand design for a Whizzer style rear drop stand. In the mean time you can use a reproduction Whizzer drop stand.

Sportsman Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,
I make a pretty heavy duty removable rear stand. It makes a great display stand and is solid enough to kick start a china engine. One of these days I will finish up my rear stand design for a Whizzer style rear drop stand. In the mean time you can use a reproduction Whizzer drop stand.

Thanks Pat. I will invest in one of those whizzer stands for my Choctaw, with that lengthened frame it's a heavier bike and that stand will look good on it as it is set up as a cruiser not a racer.

However, I am interested in your rear stand also as it could be useful maintenance wise. I will look on your site and contact you.

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
I like the engine stand idea.I am going to try it with my existing stand,since I don't have room for more things....I have a VW bench mount engine stand welded to the post of my Harbour Freight engine stand...it accepts a 2" pipe,or the VW engine bracket in it.On one pipe,I have VW gland nut for crank assembly.It would be easy to adapt a bracket for the kickstand mount in the frame to another piece of pipe...
Thanks!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Update on the build stand. Yes it does comfortably hold a fully assembled bike. It does need one modification, though. A locking front caster would help to keep the whole thing from trying to get away from me when I'm wrenching hard.

DSC06231 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,

Per your mentioning of the repro whizzer drop stand I went ahead and invested in one , now will have to buy another for my other bike. Utterly totally superior to the wire bicycle stands and look awesome. The folks I got it from were concerned the axle nuts might not fit the worksman but the specialized nuts they sent work perfectly. The stand as is over rotates as the ears punched with four holes are too short to support the frame....but then I realized that all you had to do was make a plate and drill some holes and bolt them to the ears and viola you have the stand where you want it, I wanted mine almost straight up...and you are in business. Some friends saw my simple rectangular extensions and tore them off and really made them look nice by trimming and shaping and they support the bike very solidly. Now for paint on the extensions and they will look "factory". As my bikes are cruisers I need them to carry their own stand...they don't cruise very far but stop and visit a lot. Also they make tweaking the chain and rear
end much easier...and the snap that you buy with it is extremely positive so you don't have to worry about the stand falling.
For my 9HP bike I might wait for Pat's stand but the repro whizzer stands work well for 3 HP bikes in my opinion and make them look awesome. I will send pics of the rear installation of the whizzer stand as soon as I get my new problem out of the way, my custom engine rear mount bent and I am now having to upgrade it with 1/4" steel....and I ruined my chain when it locked up in the sprocket due to the misalignment caused by the failure of the rear mount. 1 step forward, 1/2 step back.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hoodoo,
I just ordered a Whizzer stand about a week ago. I am just starting on a full cruiser build using my WZ (Whizzer) chassis (4' stretch and drop loop) and am starting to aquire parts. Too busy to build my own stand right now so why reinvent the wheel? Nice to hear it fit well and dressing it up a bit makes sense. Post some pictures when you can.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hoodoo,
I just ordered a Whizzer stand about a week ago. I am just starting on a full cruiser build using my WZ (Whizzer) chassis (4' stretch and drop loop) and am starting to aquire parts. Too busy to build my own stand right now so why reinvent the wheel? Nice to hear it fit well and dressing it up a bit makes sense. Post some pictures when you can.
I will be able to take some on Saturday when I am pulling it out of the garage and working on it. One thing I have learned and you already knew, that patience is a virtue. I have spent probably 4x as many hours on this bike as needed to due to my poor planning and getting into too much of a hurry and still I let my impatience get the best of me. Oh, one thing, my friend broke the end off of the spring clip on the fender in an attempt to adjust it, the metal is springy but very brittle and the end just broke off. On my particular bike you had to lift the clip a bit with your hand to secure the stand in the raised position. Now I still have to but with the broken end it is harder. Be careful if you feel the need to bend that clip.
Al

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hoodoo,
Patients? Never heard of it. I constantly under estimate how much I will get done in a day and on top of that I make my fair share of mistakes. I scrapped four sets of handlebars a few days ago by not measuring correctly. There is some logic to the saying measure twice, cut once.