Spark plug readings are CRAZY!

GoldenMotor.com

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
Hello everyone..

i have a few bikes atm, and all of them seem to be doing the same thing!

ive been running my bikes at 25:1 for break in, and all of them seemed to have nice dark chocolate colour plugs.. but now! it seems like they have gone to grey ash! im positive ive been mixing it correctly.. but i tried also mixing it at 20:1 and even 16:1! still same results! im using castrol activ 2T, what is going on..

:-||:-||:-||:-||:-||

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
ive checked it.. its just really confusing me, and i suppose its not very good to ignore and keep on going.. my bikes run fine.. no 4 stroking, easy start, good power, just the confusion of the spark plug..

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
so try to move the c clip down a notch?
but moving it down will make my engine 4 stroke again under load :(
never ending problem...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No, get a larger jet. If it otherwise runs OK I wouldn't mess with the needle.

BTW - how exactly are you checking the plug? What plug are you using? What have the ambient temperatures been?

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
basically looking at the plug itself after running around the block? maybe a decent 800 meters, im using the stock plug we get with the motors, "great master" or something along those lines.. ambient is around 25c? or abit lower.. between 20-25c

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
basically looking at the plug itself after running around the block? maybe a decent 800 meters, im using the stock plug we get with the motors, "great master" or something along those lines.. ambient is around 25c? or abit lower.. between 20-25c

the proper way get an accurate plug reading is to do a plug chop. You run the engine hard for a couple munites then immediatly chop throttle pull clutch and hit the kill switch and coast to a stop.

If all 3 bikes changed at once, it's probably fuel related. Winter fuel formulas are different, that could be the cause.

BTW, I use 32/1 mix for break in and 40/1 after, on all my 2-strokes,regardless of brand.
The only exception is my ultralight engines, they get 50/1 to insure no ring sticking from carbon buildup. Never had oil related probs, and I run them hard.

Oil is oil, and I have been using Walmart 2-stroke oil (made by Pennzoil) for 20 years, even in my ultralight planes.over 350 flight hours, no problems with wear or carbon

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure this is relevant to your question but I'm one of those outlaws that run Opti-2 oil @ 100:1. All of my plugs are grey and have been since I started using the Opti-2. Prior to that they displayed the traditional chocolate color but changed color when I changed oil.

I can assure you I have no air leaks, no indications of lean burning or overheating. The plugs are dry and grey. As I said, this isn't really what you asked because you're using a different oil but possibly it is related to your choice of oil.

Then again there's that old maxim which says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." As long as your engines are running as good as you say...leave 'em alone.
Tom

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
Tom, i think it may be true.. it runs fine, starts perfectly, goes well..
but im just scared of the engine seizing due to lack of oil? but who knows.. it might just be fine..

im also looking to buy some opti-2 in australia, no one around has it!

but i guess if the ratios are right.. then may as well just leave it as it is?

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Have you been looking at car/bike shops only?

I emailed Opti about their oil and they said lawn mower shops should carry them.

They didn't mention specific shops or areas, but said most should generally have it.

At the end of the day, Opti is more for lawnmowers I believe...

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Yeah... I know you can use Opti, but I think it was primarily designed for lawnmowers...

When you go to the main Opti website, it mostly comprises of lawnmowers and blowers and whatnot.
I believe that's more of their target, although their products are suitable for motorbikes also.

If I understand and remember correctly, these engines are somewhat based off lawnmowers...

I'm also looking for Opti2 to use, at the moment I'm using Valvoline enhanced synthetic, but Opti emailed me saying that you'll find their products in most lawnmower stores here in Victoria, at the very least to say; not sure about the other states.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That thread is only 43 pages long.rotfl You can read it all in 10 minutes I promise:D Pretty sure your questions may be covered in there.

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
just a quick question guys,
you can do a plug chop with the same plug you've been using right?
ie. if you were running rich as evidenced by a black sooty plug and you re-jetted, running lean would still show on that same plug as whitish/ashy and running good would turn that same plug tan or brown. even though the plug was covered with black soot before.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
just a quick question guys,
you can do a plug chop with the same plug you've been using right?
ie. if you were running rich as evidenced by a black sooty plug and you re-jetted, running lean would still show on that same plug as whitish/ashy and running good would turn that same plug tan or brown. even though the plug was covered with black soot before.
Well not if the plug is super loaded and all you did is run down the block. You'll need to get ON IT for a good while to "clean" the plug.