Large Filipino's bikes

GoldenMotor.com

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Wall Mart is seldom the answer for anything bike. Most things they have a very minimal quality, thought a slime tube is hard to mess up if it is sized right. Believe it or not chains and cables and stuff do come in a variety of qualities and WalMart is generally at the bottom of durability and function to just make a quick buck.
A patch kit is part of my tool kit as some holes are not going to work with the slime. If a nail goes thru both sides of the tube the part close to the rim will not seal and needs a patch.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I just keep a whole tube in my tool pouch. I figure a tube is not that expensive anyway. And as far as weight goes I keep a foot pump in my bag so it weighs pretty heavy as it is. To me a patch kit is good if you want to keep things light.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Riding to the flea market yesterday!

YouTube - Riding Cronus to the Flea market

At the Flea Market (amazing I got a whole lot of hits this one)

YouTube - At the Flea Market with Cronus

And the ride home! I bought 3 cantaloupes and a watermelon! I am so proud of me.

YouTube - Returning home from the flea market with Cronus

Pics below is cronus with trailer and the bike I was drooling over. Fork isn't suspension though but I loved the bigness of it. With the seat lowered it's perfect as far as pedal lenght. I can ride this bike all day and I see my Titan fitting this bike rather well.

Notice something unusual about my trailer?
Where it mounts.
I did that to clear my china engine bike and it works for Cronus too!

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hey Large !!! Those big guy bikes, were those for sale at Mile High Flea market? How much? also.. What road did you take to get there? Looks like you found the way. Also... If I take the trail, does it go from where I am all the way north? Let me know. thanks...

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Oh yes. Mile High Flea Market. The trail I took to get to you is the SAME TRAIL!
Just take it up north past mile high stadium past speer turn off until you get to 88th and Colorado (That's a good 10 miles between speer and 88th so just follow that trail) then take the road east to it. Or continue on the trail like I did till you get to riverdale:confused: road (where I stopped at the first video) then go right take the road to 96th street,turn left,cross the highway then take the frontage road turn right to the flea market on your left.
If your driving up take I-25 to I-76 then get off 88th ave. Turn right then it's right there on your left.
The big guy bikes went for 330 bucks. The stretch cruisers were a little bit more but not a whole lot.
I loved that bike because it's tall. Look at the clearance up front. Yes. That's a 26 inch rim.
Sitting on it you have all the leg room you need and because you can get the seat low it's still cool looking.
The only think I didn't like about it was that the front forks aren't dampening. It's a solid fork.
The big highlight of yesterday was when I was chatting with the owner and as I was showing him my bike I started it up. Then a crowd gathered like you wouldn't believe! Then I passed out cards. I had written down 100 cards that morning. I only had 6 left when I left there.
Also the vendors that had the little scooters and such were calling me over asking if I had a patent on it! I told them you did and gave them a card. Funny thing was that THREE vendors asked the same thing!
Yea. Next time I get another weekend break from my host home guy I'm doing that again!
They are open Wednesday too! But not a lot of vendors that day.

Back to the trail,there's a section where you can go 4 ways. This is by where there's a bathroom destroyed by fire. Go straight over the bridge not the bridge to your right then you come to a "T" Left goes to Boulder/Golden. You want to turn right.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
My little thrift store find. Photo0553.jpg
Yes. That says $9.99. Then everything was 50% off today. 5 bucks.

Look what parts I can salvage from this puppy.
Thinking of Turbo here. Photo0554.jpg

It's a complete bike. Front and rear long brakes (will reach 26 inch cruisers) and a coaster yet. Bearings too. Short crank can come in handy down the road. Look at the tires. Both flat no biggie because look at the threads. Photo0555.jpg

This here is why I really needed this bike.

Photo0556.jpg

Can't get my sprocket on that drum. Yes. I will only have my coaster.
But I don't plan on riding my trike fast at all.

It was funny today when I was counting to make sure I had 36 spokes on that front wheel (idea spoke count for mounting sprocket) this dad and his son after checking out Cronus (I initially rode Cronus there then came back with my truck) asked me what I was doing. After explaining my trike and my sprocket counting the spokes I turned my head and they were no where to be found.

I tell you.

We are just not appreciated!

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Here's what I did today. I was able to keep my drum brake!

Money is the only thing keeping me back right now.

In about a week or so I'll be heading over to Duane's. (DAX)

Stay Tuned!

I had some obstructions in the drum which is why I couldn't get a bolt thru that one hole. It's my own fault but I fixed it by adding two bolts side to side.
It's on there real GOOD and it's straight as an arrow.
And it in no way gets in the way of the drum brake. It seems the pads only uses half of the hub. The other half is empty.

It's a 40 tooth. Hopefully with the 20 inch wheel the gearing isn't too terribly low. But you really don't want to run this trike fast at all. Torque is the word here. I should get plenty of it!

That BMX bike is getting more things pirated yarr! The Gooseneck for one. Those tires are going on the trike. And when funds are available I think I can get by with NoMoreFlats tubes so carrying my foot pump would not be needed. I also pirated the rear brake for Cronus. The old rear brake was a Mickey Mouse set up.

This is gonna be my winter ride/grocery getter/doggie carrier to the park.
Oh yes. This trike will do my 26 mile one way trips to Cherry Creek.
I'm dead serious.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Some updates on my other bikes.

Dax gave me a nice deal on some used stuff. Cronus now has it's own engine!
It needs a cleaning but the pics would show. The way the carrier is mounted is changed. There is a definite improvement there. It's stiffer. And I have the new updated bearings.
Also note the Wheelman wheel with the cassette had to change my front sprocket to accept the thinner 10 speed chain and changed my crank to a shorter throw.
I tell you. Of course on a regular bicycle you want the longer throw cranks. But on a MB the short throw cranks mean you don't have to lift your leg so high when pedaling and you can get a smoother pedal when you're assisting. You should give it a shot. Go ahead and snag that kiddie bike collecting dust!

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Duane also gave me a deal on some engine parts for MOOP2. I'm taking my sweet time with this but here's my mounting so far. I think this arrangement is gonna hold.
The original 3,000 mile engine I messed up. I had goofed up my oil mixing during a few tanks and I think that caused my crank bearing failure. 6oz to a gallon I was only using 2 oz from a small bingo dauber holder in my tool pouch to almost a half a gallon.
I think this go around I'll keep a gallon of the right mix at home and carry spare gas with me just so I'm sure it's mixing right.
I'm also gonna rethink that fuel filter. A metal screen filter in my mind sounds like a better plan.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
For some reason that engine was seized up but it's still full of good parts. Another engine looked rather complete but the chain gear would spin effortlessly with the clutch out.
So I opened it up and found the original keyway had snapped off. It's cool I got all these parts! So I removed one from another engine and VIOLA!
It wouldn't start at first. It's okay I have all these magnetos! But then I found out when I crimped the blue wire I didn't expose enough wire to the crimp.
And then it happened.
The magic came back!
I'm really digging this engine mount. I really think it's a better idea to extend the rear out rather than make a mount up front. I mean MOOP2 just rides so solid now. I used a rear mount from another engine but I'm sure you can use rather anything even a bunch of washers I would guess or a block of wood even with 2 holes drilled out... metal stock may be a better bet though.
So now all three of my bikes are running. And today was just a perfect day. Yesterday,today and tomorrow we are warmer than Florida.
Go figure.
THANKS DUANE!!

I'm rethinking my oil mixing now. I love the castor oil but it's $$$$ so the fuel in there now is 8 oz from the auto store to a gallon and it's combusting well.
Yes. I know. 6oz to a gallon is plenty and 8oz to a gallon is rather steep and it may cause some smoking and more black oil dripping on my concrete.
But I need to be absolutely sure that crank bearing is getting all the lubrication it needs.
It's not like I'm ever gonna go too far on this bike anyway. Cronus and the Buggy Bike has that job.
MOOP2 is my cruising around the neighborhood "just how many bikes does that fool have" kind of a bike.
I'll probably do a Cherry Creek run though. I'm crazy like that.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Large,
We gotta get together, maybe do Chatfield. There's some great bike paths down my way but I'm not afraid of the north so Spring is coming. We'll get Duane, and a couple of bottles of water and...
I'll have the Jag running in a couple of weeks but old Halloween Gal is always ready to go.
Tom

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I'm hard to do much anything with because of my Host Home guy. Weekends are a wash. I have him most weekends.
The only time I'm truly free is when he's at day program Monday thru Friday. And that's from 8:30 am till 1:30 pm.

But he does go home sometimes so anythings possible!

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I did this mod a few days ago from a 6 foot strip it was like 3 bucks then I sandwiched together 3 strips then bolted them down. I did the same to the other side.
It's way stiff. And it shakes around way less on my buggy bike. The original strap I made for this front end was okay but it allowed some flex. This time it's just not there. And the ride quality is simply a lot smoother.
I sacrificed room on my front brake but it had fallen off before. I just left the front fender off the front in the event that I need to put my foot in there and I keep speeds below 15 because all I have is my coaster.
I really need to plunk some cash down on some decent brakes. I'm starting to steer away from front brakes unless I can find a 20 inch wheel with a drum or disc brake and a 28 tooth freewheel.
You know I could look at the thrift stores for a 26 inch disc brake rear with cassette use the big gear to drive up front then salvage the hub and lace it on a 20 inch rim. I did it with my 3 speed.
I would go back to a single speed if I can find that or maybe do a cvt.
My 3 speed hub is getting harder to keep 2nd gear from slipping.

My Buggy Bike I am convinced I would probably NEVER stop tinkering with.

Maybe this weekend I'll grind off those sharp edges.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Has it been 3 years since this last post? I've been looking at Facebook a lot lately but I really need to be getting back here.
I got heavy and I REALLY need to cut down so I made a decision to convert MOOP2 back to a pedal bike. And thanks to Niagra thru Amazon I got Ape Hangers and a GREAT 3 speed hub that I laced up myself.
I still have Cronus with Duane's original design still going strong.
And the Buggy bike's front sprocket keeps snapping so I'm ready to get a friction drive on that bad boy.
But I'm redoing our kitchen so the friction drive's gonna have to wait a few months.
Some pics of my 3 speed conversion.

1) Worth every penny,people. Believe me. This thing shifts smooth as butter.
2) Rim on the left is my 40 year old original rim from MOOP2. Rim on the right is a coaster brake rim I bought 3 years ago at a bike store. It's made in China. If pics don't tell a thousand stories I don't know what does. We used to build quality in America. I needed some of the spokes on that China rim to help build my wheel.
3) A little brillo pad on the rim and spokes and that 40 year old chrome is as good as new.
4) All laced up and trued by eye. It was getting late so I was just spinning it with my hands and eyeballing it while watching TV.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
1) My truing stand. Duct taped a bad spoke to my kickstand.
My eyeball method did pretty well apparently because I was off by like a millimeter. It's this American Made rim people. 5,000 miles easy when it was motorized and who knows how many more miles from new.

2) New tire,slime tube and rim strip. Ready to go.

3) Whatta you think? I'm digging the Ape Hangers.

4) Today's technology to yesterday's quality. Wal Mart has NOTHING on this ride.

5) And the cable to my kit easily reached my ape hangers. It's unlike any old school shifter,people. It's so smooth,dare I say? It's almost as smooth as a Divinchi Hub. There. I said it.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Thanks Aleman! I've always been around. Last year was very busy for me so I rarely rode. But my buisiness made me gain some weight so I'm back on the bikes!
Planning too to lace a drum hub to the front wheel on Cronus.
This year I'll be riding often again. We need this. We really do!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good to see ya, LF. Wish you could join us for a ride this coming spring. The Denver Area Riders would love to see some of your innovative stuff, I'm sure.
Try to reserve a Saturday and come share a day with us.
Keep in touch.
Tom