Spark Plug to Ignition Coil Bootie Dilemma (can't connect)

GoldenMotor.com

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ordered and received a GRUBEE 2010 SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Angle Fire Slant Head Bike Motor Kit today.

I'm slowly and carefully installing it on to my mountain bike. I have one question for now (I'm a PC tech - NOT a mechanic, though reasonably mechanically inclined.)

The spark plugs I received appear to be a wrong fit for the included ignition coil bootie. Both spark plugs appear to be the type that either fit into a sleeve or allow a tiny threaded post to be inserted (not included? - cant find)

The ignition coil bootie seems to be looking for a spark plug that has a threaded post on top. The diagrams / photos show a spark plug that has a threaded post on top - that's not what I received.

Side Note: Kit said this all should take me about 3 hours to install the whole kit. I'm taking my sweet ole' time (in midst of Chicago winter) and I'll be happy if I have the motor installed and running in 3 weeks ;-)

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, yea, this did dawn on me so I took a pair of pliers to the tip of the spare (counter clockwise) and I couldn't get it to budge - didn't want to damage it so I stopped. Will try it again now that you gave me the tip... Thanks ;-)

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ok, great! Got it... Solved... Thank you very much ;-)

dance1

Yup, I'm a PC tech delving into adding a motor to my bike in between building web sites...

I feel like that guy who called up PC tech support and asked how to get a replacement retractable coffee cup holder because his cracked off. The phone tech asked WHAT :confused: coffee cup holder... ? The guy said "you know, the one that you push the little button and the coffee cup holder comes out... then you push the button again to stow it..." Well the tech figured out the guy was actually talking about his CD-ROM drive.... ;-)​

Last edited:

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Hey Zoomie do yourself a favor and get yourself a better spark plug wire and boot. If you want to order one you can from our sponsors or for instant gratification go to Autozone or some auto parts place and buy a single plug wire. They will most likely have one with another end on it, unless its a specialty place more like napa. If you find the one with 2 ends cut off the short boot end....thats the one that goes to the cap on a car and you dont need it (but keep it incase you need a temp boot). Your plug wire on the bike is screwed in to the cdi. Turn counter clockwise to take it off. Mine was a PITA to take off. I think they epoxy them in, and I used vice grips on the wire just off where it connects to get it off. The new one screws in just like the old came out, but just make sure you match up the center core to the screw in the cdi for a good contact(clockwise this time). Now you can put the little nub back on the spark plug, or use another plug and you dont have to worry about taking the nub off ever again. Plus you have a great connection instead of a crap one.

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hey, thanks for the advice... I might do that...

I do have another question that I'm not sure requires me making another thread...

Since my bike frame motor mounting situation is so tight, the muffler I got in the kit just won't fit without TOTALLY interfering with the bike pedal. I'll have to look into ordering a new muffler solution or modifying (bending) the muffler I have...

In the mean time... is it possible to test the engine safely without using a muffler at all? ...or does it rely on the back pressure? I know it would be loud but can I safely start the engine at all without a muffler?

Can I cut the tube leading to my present muffler in half... attach a copper (perhaps) tube or maybe better flex-pipe on (more closely following my bike's design)... and then put the 2nd half of the muffler (the actual muffler) part on to the end of the tube?​

Last edited:

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Dont run your engine with the muffler off. 2 strokes need back pressure to work properly. I had the same problem as you with the exhaust. I dont know what your issue is but on mine I had a clearance issue with the peddle hitting the actual muffler. What I did...is beat the **** out of it with a hammer in the area that it had contact with the peddle. Used a torch to heat it up to make it easier and just wailed away until it fit. I did have a problem down the road after doing that. I think I crimped the stock cat and it wouldnt breath properly. Although a 1/4" drill bit through the cat fixed everything, drilled through the 5 holes in the assembly. Hitting the 30mph mark after the drilling with the stock 44t gear (clocked by my friends Mercedes). In regards to your idea yea you can add piping but why spend money when you can just beat it into submission, or get a poo poo pipe which you may have to bend a little depending on clearance. Another thing is if you have a bench vice you can bend the stock pipe to fit. With all this said just make sure the pipe is OFF the motor. BTW if I didnt answer your ? then make a new thread. Just my 2 cents.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I would suggest that if yer gonna go through all the fuss and bother of makin' a "custom" exhaust - then you may wish to consider replacing the stock muffler w/an expansion chamber? Ya can get a "pocket bike" system crazy cheap, cut it and using your kit headpipe, make a sweet, full-length exhaust system - the benefits of having the noise/fumes behind you & the performance gain of a chamber are... pronounced to say the least lol

Here's a pic of one of mine - stock (port matched) headpipe mated to a SBP expansion chamber w/a extended glasspack silencer;

Last edited:

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Nice looking set up you got there Barely. Whats your top end with that shift kit, expansion chamber, and what looks to be a CNS?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - secruts! :D

I'm not tryin' to be secretive really - it's just that given he ways of the interwebs and ppl's tendency for... exaggeration - we frown on "unsubstantiated speed claims" here. As the only believable method of substantiation is to film a GPS while riding & I've not bothered (bike speedos are rarely calibrated correctly and are prone to abuse, cars' speedos often off by 5mph+) and as I'm a staff member supposedly "setting a good example" I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to answer your question.

...but ifn yer curious about the build & what's been done to that motor check these threads out if ya wanna;

http://motorbicycling.com/f52/basics-port-polish-port-matching-16646.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html

Don't wanna derail this guy's thread any more than I already have lol, sorry 'bout that Zoomie :oops:

Last edited:

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for all your knowing advice people ;-)

I'm about to start my 2nd day with the kit (only got it yesterday...) I actually had a bike motor dream last night.

I'm not in a hurry only I think by tomorrow the sheer curiosity and excitement might get to me and I'll want to fire the baby up ;-)

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
I remember when I fired my first build up for the first time,,, about a month or two ago........ so far back now.
I was excited/nervous,,, and making sure I was certian everything was in order. And then BRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Amazing feeling.

Have fun, be safe, and stick to your break in plan.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
One trick that may work for the pipe hitting the pedal is to file the holes into 'ovals' (One up & one down) so that you can turn the pipe away from the pedal. ;)