briggs kick start motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
this is my schwinn with a 5 hp briggs ive been working on for about 6 months or so but i still need to do some gas tank and front end work before its rideable. i reascently became a member and checked out all the cool bikes so i wanted to post mine up!

Attachments

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
yeah i read a couple people talking about it so i had to post my bike. msrfan has a book he wrote on how to build these briggs bikes so i got some ideas from him. i did the engine positioning the same but clutch and start system are different. i wanted to be able to ride the bike like a regular bicycle with out having the engine turning over also, so i used a centrufigal clutch. then i had to figure out a way of starting it and i thought a kickstart would be cool! so i searched on ebay and found an old briggs kickstart assembly. i had no idea how i was going to put it on but once it came, i did a little brainstorming and figured it out. heres a close up.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
msrfan has a book he wrote on how to build these briggs bikes so i got some ideas from him. i did the engine positioning the same but clutch and start system are different. i wanted to be able to ride the bike like a regular bicycle with out having the engine turning over also, so i used a centrufigal clutch. then i had to figure out a way of starting it and i thought a kickstart would be cool! so i searched on ebay and found an old briggs kickstart assembly. i had no idea how i was going to put it on but once it came, i did a little brainstorming and figured it out. heres a close up.
Where can I get a copy!?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
After you step on it ,does the kick pedal stay down while you ride untill its time to start it again?

Reactions: Jaroe

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
you will have to ask msrfan for a copy. yes when i kick it down it stays down until the next start up that way i dont have to deal with a spring back mechanism and some sort of one-way gear or ratchet. someone told me it would be more old school to have to reset the pedal after each kick so i decided to leave it simple.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
is the gear on the shaft some thing that can be found already mass produced? (Would be awesome if the toothed part on the "kicker" ((Got no idea what to call it)) was as well but is to much to ask.)

Was just below warming up the shop. Read smoking coffee and drinking a smoke. Looked at a HF 79cc, Honda 50 and a few other engines. Your kick start will save inches just at the most critical point. Between the pedals. Am excited. Really like the Keep It Simple approach.

Although, given time. I will complicate to the point of crazy. Already drawing an articulating contact on the kick side contact, lol.

Almost time for "Car talk" on NPR and to get some (haha) work done. Man, Sundays are awesome!

.flg.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
briggsbiker,
welcome to the forum! Super cool. I love how the motor just fills up all that real estate in the cantilever frame, making it look like bike and motor were made for each other. The kick start is something else, raising the bar again on one step closer to motorcycle.

Hey, msrfan, how can we order your book? I may never build one, but reading the how to will be an adventure and you never know, there might be a Briggs in my future.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
briggsbiker,
welcome to the forum! Super cool. I love how the motor just fills up all that real estate in the cantilever frame, making it look like bike and motor were made for each other. The kick start is something else, raising the bar again on one step closer to motorcycle.

Hey, msrfan, how can we order your book? I may never build one, but reading the how to will be an adventure and you never know, there might be a Briggs in my future.
SB
Hey silverbear. I only have a few books left. Like I told curtisfox, it's more of a ten page instruction pamphlet with a few drawings. I made the book after I built the bike because my brother suggested I could sell them on ebay. So after getting Kinko's to print them, I sold over 100 for $9.95 to $14.95 back when ebay had "dutch auctions". That more than paid for my bike so I'm done with charging for them (although briggsbiker bought one, but I gave him some parts and loaned him tools, so I guess we're okay). Out of all that sold, I know of three bikes built. Two locally and one in Puerto Rico. This was way before the new Whizzers and chinese motor kits, so I copied the old Whizzer style because I own a few of them. Keep in mind it just shows the way I made my motorbike, and should be used as inspiration and guidelines for your own ideas. Send me a private message with your address and I'll make sure you get one. If anyone else wants one, I'll send until I run out, then request someone to make copies for the rest. Thanks for your interest. The info and pleasure I receive from this forum far outways the cost of a few printed pages.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
is it possible to copy it to the computer for an e-mail file? I would like to read it too

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Yeah check this link out, this is the same kick start I have but the only thing I used off this is the kick pedal and the gear on the flywheel. I had to motify the parts a little, like the kick pedal comes with a big offset in it so I had to heat it up with a torch and straighten it. Then the gear came with some extra stuff that I had to cut off. I was going to buy a whole engine and steal the parts but I found someone selling an assembly (kick pedal, flywheel, gear) so I went for that. Good luck on your project!

antique briggs & stratton gas engine side kick - eBay (item 290503652820 end time Nov-29-10 14:42:38 PST)

is the gear on the shaft some thing that can be found already mass produced? (Would be awesome if the toothed part on the "kicker" ((Got no idea what to call it)) was as well but is to much to ask.)

Was just below warming up the shop. Read smoking coffee and drinking a smoke. Looked at a HF 79cc, Honda 50 and a few other engines. Your kick start will save inches just at the most critical point. Between the pedals. Am excited. Really like the Keep It Simple approach.

Although, given time. I will complicate to the point of crazy. Already drawing an articulating contact on the kick side contact, lol.

Almost time for "Car talk" on NPR and to get some (haha) work done. Man, Sundays are awesome!

.flg.