It just won't run?!?!?! GRUBEE Gt5

GoldenMotor.com

opus44

Aug 27, 2010
Kansas
I'm needing a little help. I just put together my first build last week and I finally got a chance to go start it up lastnight. The problem is that it didn't start. I peddled that bike up and down my street 3 times and it never started. So here is what I've done so far.

1. I've mixed my fuel oil ratio 16:1 per break-in instructions.
2. I tried choking, not choking giving it a little gas not giving it gas
3. The spark plug is sparking and it is also wet with fuel.
4. Changed spark plug with new regapped spark plug and still nothing.

I did notice some fuel leaking out the fuel filter when I changed the spark plug.

Is 16:1 just to much oil and not enough gas for ignition?

I do know a little about small engine repair, but haven't tinkered with one for about 10 years.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Opus44 :-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use 24:1 for the break in & 32:1 after that... (16:1 is for using 30wt motor oil)

A wet plug will make it not start!! Make sure it's dry & don't use the choke... (choke lever on carb 'down')
Pedal fast, release the clutch lever fast & keep pedaling!! You should hear a "putt putt putt" sound as the engine spins from the pedals!!! If not?, your clutch is slipping.

opus44

Aug 27, 2010
Kansas
Thanks for the quick reply venice. I will remix my fuel to 24:1. The reason I mentioned that the plug was wet was to let people know that fuel is making it to the cylinder.

I do hear the PUTT PUTT PUTT from the compression. Speaking of compression......What type of compression should I be seeing when I check for compression later on this evening?

This might be a silly question, but if I'm seeing a spark at the spark plug does that mean that my kill-switch is wired correctly???

OKAY! So my fuel problem is solved......... Any carboration issues I might consider??

Thanks again,

Opus44

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Yeah. Since you're plug was wet, it probably means too much fuel. I would place the c-clip higher on the needle by at least one notch. Many start with it on the second notch down, but mine has to be on the top notch...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm...

It occurred to me that what with today's fuel injected & computerized cars that ya may not know a simple trick for startin' a partially flooded 2-smoker - along with Venice's "big hill" (or at least determination heh) - try holding the throttle at least half to all the way open while trying to start it (choke off ofc if the plug is already wet).

While it does let some more fuel in, it lets a LOT more air in and may be jus' the ticket to gettin' her started for the first time as you do have both fuel & fire *shrug*

Last edited:

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Make sure your Carb is as level as you can get it, a buddy of mine had the same problem and turns out he had his carb mounted at an angle so the floats were not kicking off the fuel flow, and it was flooding the engine.

opus44

Aug 27, 2010
Kansas
The engine ran lastnight!!!!!!!! I guess 16:1 is just way to much oil. I remixed for 24:1 as instructed by venice and it kicked over in about 40ft. It's running really rich which i'm sure is good. Anything over half throttle it starts four-cycling.

I'm now having an issue with keeping it running. I've tryed adjusting the idle mechanicly, but that didn't work and the bike keeps dying.

Is their an idle adjustment screw on the CNS66 carb?

I only see two brass screws that i'm sure deal with fuel air mixture on high and low ends, but I'm not sure about that.

If you guys could throw me some ideas on the ideling that would be great.

Pictures are on the way.

Thanks,

Opus

opus44

Aug 27, 2010
Kansas
Thanks for the tip Nougat. I'll try to apply a little heat via a soldering iron to try and work those brass screws loose. I will not do to much messing with the the mixture settings till the bike is well broken in.

Does it really take a full gallon to break this engine in????

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hope you drain the fuel from the carburetor before you apply a soldering iron to it.
And yes, a gallon and maybe two before you can say its broken in. Also don't baby it during this time. Don't beat it to death either but don't be afraid to run with wide open throttle for a spell dring the break in period. These little 2 strokes are a bit masochistic and enjoy and respond well to a little abuse.
Tom

rtisan

Aug 16, 2011
USA
SAME PROBLEM:

I just built my first bike with a Grubee GT5 Motor, took it out and it fired up right away with a 16:1 fuel mixture (like recommended). My problem is that I can’t keep it running. If I turn the lower petcock lever all the way to open it feeds way too much gas into the carb and it ends up flooding and dripping out like crazy. So I’ve figured out that finding a “sweet spot” with the lower petcock (located on the carb) is the way to keep it running if only briefly. But even this doesn’t even really work. It starts fine, and idles fine, but after about 5 min of riding it will die. It either chokes out or floods out. I can get it started right away again my messing with the fuel line(increasing or decreasing flow) but this is super frustrating. Again, I can start it and ride it and it runs great, super smooth and really quite fast. But after a couple trips around the block it dies. I then either shut the fuel off fire it up and ride it again, or give it more fuel fire it up and ride it. But then only to have it die for the same reasons blocks later. Is this typical of these things? to be super unreliable during break in? or am I doing something wrong? Is my fuel mixture wrong? Do I have something set up wrong? Is there an adjustment I’m missing that will keep the motor taking the gas and not pissing it out of the carb? Someone help, im going crazy! And my legs are killing me from pedaling this tank.