Help! Engine dies unless pedaling..

GoldenMotor.com

heyservegod

Sep 4, 2010
alabama
I just bought a bike with an 80cc engine from a guy today, and he test-drove it for me to show me how to ride it. He walked me through all the steps to get it running, and he himself was riding it well, was able to give it some gas and the bike accelerated. I got it home (stupid me, should have tested it while I was there) and am trying to ride it, turn on the gas valve, mess with the choke, and do whatever needs to be done with the "tickler", get going on it and engage the engine. the engine runs, but only as long as i'm pedaling/going downhill. I try to give it gas with the handle, it sounds like something happens but I get no acceleration at all. As soon as I lose momentum or stop pedaling, the engine dies.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the bike? I don't think the guy sold me a busted bike, because he rode it alright before I paid him for it. I'm just a complete newbie,, and don't really know even what most of the parts are/do so if you start naming off things, I might need a little explanation. Thanks guys!