I Am Newbie Defeated.... For Now...

GoldenMotor.com

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Man,

So my bike has been running very good in the past. 66 Skyhawk kit, three or four tanks past break in I think. I worked to make sure the carb was nicely sealed with no leaks and set at the stock second position. Somewhere between 27:1 and 32:1 with maxima oil. Original three point spark plug.

I knew the 415 chain was going soon, but just as I was headed to the bike shop with a new 41 chain, the 415 broke and took out a couple of my rear spokes.

Well my hand was forced to do the right thing. I got my rear wheel laced with 12 gauge spokes. Also had them break and join the #41 chain so no master link.

So here's where my problems begin. Got the new wheel and chain on and tensioned with the tensioner. And decided to put in a better spark plug. Got an NGK BP7HS.

At first, it seemed more smooth, but with less torque on the low end, a hint of bog here and there, but that seemed to work itself out. Also, there were a couple of little smoke puffs coming out of the exhaust on start, hadn't seen smoke since first breaking in the engine. I assumed the engine was maybe getting used to the cooler plug.

Then on the way to work today, everything was running just great. Stopped for coffee. Had the coffee in my cup holder, and I was running a little slower than usual so as to reduce splash and to avoid ejecting the cup. Then out of no where the bike shut off as I came to the stop light.

Since then nothing. I spent a few hours after work trying various stuff I read here from the "bogging" and "engine won't start" threads.

I pulled the plug, it was a little a oily on top of tan.

I took off the speed air filter, to see if it was clogged... it was clean. I took off the bowl to look for dirt, and also to verify that the fuel would flow through, but also would shutoff when the c clip was pushed by the float. Float looked good and didn't have any gas in it.

Tried a few starts, With Choke the engine would seem to start, but then would eventually bog out. Tried starts with half choke and no choke and a few variations on that. But when I came to a stop the engine would die. It just never started hitting, popping, the usual good signs.

Fiddled with the Spark some more and the boot broke. So I figured, better time than any to replace the wire and boot. Pedaled over to Pep Boys, asked for a 7mm copper core spark wire with boot. All they had was a 7mm lead wire and boot. Also it has "Suppression" written on the side of it. I heard on this forum that you should avoid that sort of thing, as it can weaken the spark on these bikes. That's all they had though, so I took it home and put it on. I also swapped to a B6HS, just in case the 7 was too cool for my engine or something.

So spent a couple of hours pedaling up and down my hilly street. Trying various ways to start it. I pulled the spark, its now kind of oily, but thats not a surprise cause I'd assume the engine not really firing up is causing that. With the plug out and touching the head, I rode the bike, and did see the blue spark. I don't know how strong it should be, but it did look a little weak when going fast, and at slower pedaling didn't seem to be sparking. But I'm not sure how its supposed to look. I tried what Norman recommended for flooded engines. Still no action. About two out of 20 attempted startups, when I switched out of choke the engine popped a few times like it was going to finally catch, but then it bogged down and died like the other times.

I took the cap off of the black cat, I did notice that a little fuel was coming out of it. I stuck my fingers in it, felt the honeycomb metal, didn't seem to be clogged, but I know when it happens it happens in that catalytic converter part that is welded deep in there.

So my next two moves.

1. Take off the muffler and go for a try. If it starts, then I'd assume the black cat is clogged. Not sure how I'll clean it but maybe I'll try carb cleaner. If that doesn't work I'll try to find a hacksaw, or maybe just buck up and order something else.

2. Get a 7mm copper core wire without "suppression" or "shielding" or "noise reduction". Something for bikes if possible. Hopefully Autozone has a better selection than pep boys.

If neither of those work out, I guess next up is to Solder the wires.

Then Kill the kill switch - Although how do you kill the motor if it actually starts... close the lines and run it out of gas? Is there a trick there?

After that start replacing stuff. The magneto, which I'm still kind of scared of going in there. Order a new CDI while I'm at it.

I know there is possibility that the magneto is out of sync with the piston, but would that just happen out of no where?

So I'm just kinda throwing out in one place all I've gleaned from your guys advice and expertise, but If there is anything I've missed please let me know. I had a good three weeks or so of commuting to work on the bike. I wanted to ditch the car with something better and learn something new.... bikes and engines are both new to me. It's been rewarding and fun, but my bikes got me beat down for the moment.

I'm addicted to these forums, you guys are all a brilliant blast.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Have you blown threw the muffler to see how clogged it is? Might try running it briefly with the muffler off. It still needs a muffler though can't run it without one. There have been reports of these mufflers clogging with the cats. After this well time to truly verify fuel and spark.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Fuel wise one teaspoon of gas is enough to start these if for some wild case the pick up jet at the carb is clogged. I have seen magnetos and CDIs fail. Spark kinda hates fighting it way into a compressed atmosphere when it breaks down. [cylinder] When my CDI's broke down internally they got warm to the touch when the motor ran long enough.

Grounding the plug against the cylinder should produce a good hot blueish spark.

There might some discrepancy on ohming these. Here is some info

Disconnect the kill switch and give it a go.

CDI pack GOOD Mine
Black to Blue 1150kΩ 7.6 meg Ω
Black to Plug 2.6kΩ 2.17K Ω
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω

Origanaly posted by Fairracing. This should help. I am not sure where the sticky is at the moment.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd check just to be sure you didn't develop an air leak, it's the only thing you didn't mention as being double checked. Sometimes no matter how well you prep an engine, things like that can still happen. Also, how are your crank seals?

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
You're problems sound eerily similar to the ones I had. My motor lost power, about half of its original at first, and then continued to lose power despite changing and adjusting just about everything related to carb settings. air leaks, fuel mixture, cdi/coil etc. I even took the cylinder off to inspect the piston and rings. Turns out the problem was with a clogged catalytic converter. The only thing different about your situation is that I was breaking my engine in using a 16:1 gas to oil mixture and I'm not sure you did this. My engine bogged down after only 50 - 100 miles and I just couldn't believe the muffler could clog so soon. I suggest you briefly try starting the engine with the muffler removed. You hopefully will fine that you now have tons of power. Don not however run the engine long with no muffler. It is my understanding that the 2-cycle engine need some back pressure to run correctly.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
gebhardm - Yeah I think I read your thread, I'll try that next. I'm hoping that is it.

Bikeguy Joe - I worked pretty hard to seal the carb, but I know how the vibrations can affect things. How do I check for the leaks though without starting the engine and spraying carb cleaner on it? Also, as far as the crank seals, where should I look and what would I be looking for? As far as I can tell no fuel leaks from the bottom of the engine, what can I do to check this out? Thanks!

Goat Herder, I'll definitely try blowing through the black cat when I get it off. Also, how do I stop the engine if I disconnect the kill switch and the thing fires up? My kill switch is currently wired to the white wire. I heard thats not the right way to do it, but I thought the instructions said to do it that way.

Also, I've got the current spark plugs gapped to around .034

thanks all!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You can kill the engine 2 ways:
1. At idle speed, hold the rear brake on full lock and release the clutch lever.
2. Flip the choke closed and suffocate the engine.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Are either of these harder on the engine/drive chain?

Do most of you guys opt for a heavier duty kill switches like they have over at SBP or do you just go with out?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I never have used a kill switch.

You can bypass the air leak check by re-sealing or replacing your gasket, the crank seals are a little harder, but have been know to pop out of place part or all the way, inspect them physically by removing the covers (left and right side).

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Okay fixing the bike became a little more of a priority as of today.... check the pic below.

So I took off the muffler. Blew through it, it seemed to be clog free. I sprayed carb cleaner into both sides of the muffler, nothing out of the ordinary came out as the fluid swished right through.

I tried to start the bike with the muffler off. No dice, it popped a little, but then nothing. Tried first with choke on then part way, then full off. I tried about 10 times. It should be loud right? the first attempt was loudest, then all other attempts were too pooped to pop. It never caught, and as I came to a stop every time it died.

So my hopes for the simple problem of the clogged cat are dashed.

My last hope for an easy fix are that this suppression wire in combination with a long run to hide the cdi are currently to blame. And that my initial break down was due to a fouled plug, with a broken boot occurring when I went to pull the plug.

Made a quick youtube vid to show the plug run below. Its probably unnecessary, but maybe it helps illustrate something.

YouTube - ‪Sickly Bike No Go‬‎

So with no car till paycheck comes I'll have to wait for finding/ordering a new plug wire, 7mm copper core.

The next step is to remove the kill switch. I know the kit one is notorious for failing. As mentioned before its currently connected to the white. What should I do with the existing wires?

Bikeguy Joe, are you talking about resealing the carb's connection to the intake, or the intake to the engine or both? For the Crank Seals, should I remove the clutch cover on the right side, and the magneto cover on the other side then just look for something fishy? I haven't yet opened either of those parts of the engine for fear of losing bearings or knocking the magneto out of wack.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Disconnect the kill switch from the white wire and cap off the white wire so it cannot possibly connect to anything else accidentally.
Leave the other wires connected blue to blue and black to black.
Make sure that they are well connected though, do not rely on the factory connectors.

The spark plug wire may weaken the spark a teeny bit, but I doubt that the engine would know the difference.

It certainly would not hurt to use a copper core wire considering the loooooong routing you have there.

Nothing will fly out if you remove the side covers.
You will have to remove the small gear to look at the crankshaft seal.
You will have to remove the magneto rotor so you can look at the other crankshaft seal.
Norm has excellent tutorials if you get stuck or we will be happy to help you!

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
All right, Thanks guys. Gonna get rid of that switch and report back.

KC, nice looking stuff there! So its not just the lockable circuit, but you upgrade the wiring as well on the cdi?

I looked at Norms link up there. My understanding is I have to take note of the direction that the magneto is installed. Is there an obvious thing that would show whether the magneto has fallen out of sync? I'll also be looking to make sure the wires are properly connected. These seals, they should be flush with the casing? I also saw from another thread that a wet magneto is a bad thing, so here's hoping its dry.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
two things that i would try gap plug to .025 get the right plug wire even turning over at a slow speed you should have a visible spark when my carb plugged i ckecked the spark by holding the bike up and spinning the tire by hand w the plug grounded on the head and got a clearly visible spark also the cdi unit could be shot ive had them go on dirt bikes and quads and some times they sputter a bit but usualy crap out but for the 15 bucks for a new one and i think that it comes w a wire it would be easier to start there as far as the kill switch it messed up on my last bike causing me a 5 mile pedal home so my new bike dosent have one i just set my idle to the lowest possible tickover when the motor is warm this makes the engin esier to choke out but i usualy just drop the clutch w the brakes off my bike dosent even jump always do this when seated for obvious reasons (angrysasquatch)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
With the mag rotor magnets horizontal, the keyway should be in the 1 o'clock position.
If it is in the 11 o'clock position it is backwards.
This still will not tell you if the woodruff key has sheared though. You will have to pull the rotor off to check that out. Unless you are using a pull start there really is not anything that could shear the key anyways, but weird things have happened before.

If you do choose to pull the rotor, superglue the key back into the crankshaft key slot, insuring that it's flat side is parallel to the shaft, to prevent the rotor magnets from pulling it out of the slot when you go to reinstall the rotor.
Also remove the stator. It is much easier to remove and install the rotor when you are not fighting the magnets attracting to the stator.

The wire on the mag stator that commonly fails is the black one right where it connects to the ground connector on the stator frame. The soldered connection typically fails due to poor manufacturing.

The crankshaft seals should be recessed slightly into the bearing holes, about 1/32 to 1/16. I worked on an engine once where the best I could do was flush mount them. It still worked but I did not like it. The rotor and gear sit so close to the seals that they could rub.

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
When I first got my 48cc motor, I had problems similar to yours. Personally, I would try closing the gap on your spark plug a tad to see if you can pull a better spark out of it. I know the gap Im running right now is pretty tight, but I dont think my CDI can get the spark to jump any bigger gap under compression. But by the sounds of you only getting spark at higher rpms, and it being weak at that, spark gap seems like a plausible issue. I think someone already suggested this gap idea, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to share my experience if it even helped you out in the slightest way. Hope this helped! Good luck!

-Brent

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Got rid of the switch and put the muffler back on.

She started in choke, then kind of roughly transitioned to an idle when I turned off the choke. I rode a couple of blocks, brought it up to wide open throttle once, it still felt a little under powered. Then the engine just died when it came back to idle. Like before, after that I couldn't get it started back up. The pops were few and far between, with a couple eratic fires but not enough to keep the engine running. Overall, it was running about 5 minutes max before it died.

I reset the slide to the original second position. Swapped in the BP7HS (removed the B6HS) now gapped at .025 per your suggestions.

I also opened the magneto side to have a look. Definitely suspect. I was able to see the gasket peeking over the flat side of the rotor. I rotated the rotor further to inspect the gasket. It looked nicely seated to me. And I'm assuming because it was nice and dry in there, that fuel wasn't leaking in. However, there was a significant amount of rust in an area that looks like once held fluid. I assume it was water that caused the rust, I have ridden home from work a couple of times in serious rain. So I think there is a possibility that the rust may be causing problems. But, isn't a magneto really simple? Like just magnets moving against each other? How do the magnetos go bad? And the fact that the bike fired up, but then after awhile seemed to lose its spark seem like it is more likely that the rust in the magneto is just a red herring, and its more likely the CDI is to blame?

I'm making a lot of assumption, and I know how that can go....badly.. with the u and the me and the ass thing.

What I haven't done yet is pull the clutch cover and inspect that gasket seal. What happens when the seal is bad? Does it reduce compression? Cause an Air Leak or gas leak? Cause for that five minutes the bike was running half decent. Pic of the magneto attached.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have seen much worse looking magnetos than yours work fine.
You may double check the black wire where it is soldered to the connector that is held down by one of the mag screws though. The solder joints have been known to come apart.

I see no mention of it in this thread, but are you using the factory plug in wire connectors between the mag and CDI? If so, they are junk. You are better off soldering the wires together and sealing them with heat shrink tubing. The factory connectors can make poor electrical contact even when they look well connected and they will eventually vibrate lose over time.

If the gasket on the gear case side (left side) leaks water inside it will not stop the engine running well, it will just make things rusty in there.
You can look at the crankshaft seal on the left side if you want to. There's no harm in that. It is behind the small gear.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks GearNut,

I haven't yet soldered the wires, they are still together with those pesky clips. I've got solder and an iron, so no excuse. That's next. But would it have worked for that 5 minute run if the clip connection was bad? Only one way to find out.

I'm also calling around to see who has 7mm copper core with no suppression and a nice boot. So far its a no go with Advanced Auto and Pep Boys.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Do double check the spark plug wire and your electrical connections as Gearnut said. Just a hunch feeling here don't no how I could prove it I am big on component testing when ever possible. I think the CDI is breaking down. I have seen a magneto do the same thing when heat soaked.

As magnetos go I always used RTV to seal them off from the rain from the start. I also put a glob of it at the wires right wires near the solder joints to keep the vibs down at that part so it will less likely rattle apart.

Did you ohm stuff out? It would be interesting to know what the ohm readings were when it tried to run and when it quit. [hint]