48cc steel sleaved engines?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
anyone know anything about the 48cc steel sleaved engines?

Theres a guy selling them on Ebay and claims they are the very best of all of these little engines, he claims that they will out rpm and out pull any of the actual 66cc ("80cc") engines and out last them as well, I havent seen any post as of yet about these engines and am wondering what the plain truth about them is, if they are as tough as this guy claims I may get one for a bike I plan to put a jackshaft on and ride to work 3-4 times a week at a round trip distance of about 32 miles.

Any info. Please...?cvlt1

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Without a link - there's no way for us to check them out but...

ANY ebay "guy" making claims about any product "outperforming" is to be viewed with... skepticism at best lol I seriously doubt he's casting them himself = the same as everyone else's ;)

Ya could take his hype at face value, or buy from an actual business, a reputable vendor with excellent customer service - your choice.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I figure this is the same engine as the one BGF is selling but was wondering if anyone has ran one of these and if so is it worth messing with or is it just a steel sleaved power down grade from the 66CC engine.

I have 2 of the 66cc engines that I bought from BGF and they seem to be just fine so far, only issues so far is the carburetors flooding due to needle & seat not sealing properly.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
It is a starfire and it looks like it is much better quality then the RAW motor I have, and I have put a lot of miles on mine. I like the way the carburetor is on this one, no spigot problems because the carb bolts on. You should get it and then tell us how well it performs!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes it does look good in the pic. I noticed that the guy did say that the engine you get when you order is not the chrome unit but, that would not be a big deal to me anyway, the chrome looks good but has nothing to do with how it runs, unless a person is like a few ole boys I knew back in my hot rod days that would put a set of chrome valve covers on an old 350 chevy and swear it added HP and was faster....LOL I would just laugh and smoke them in my old 71 chevy C10 and the 475HP 406CID small block under the hood. I'm already wanting to mill a head and polish the ports on one of these little engines.....

Back to the steel sleave engine.... I'm thinking that a fellow may take a few 1000's maybe .020 off the head of this little 48-49cc engine and with a little porting and a good exaust and fuel mix might get it to at least pull as hard as the 66cc, this might make a longer life engine being that it has a steel sleaved cylinder and claims to even have a bigger and better main bearing as well. sounds like a future project to me.....!

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
From what I understand most all of these engines have a chromed aluminum bore not a steel sleave, someone can correct me here if I'm wrong but this is the info. I have gathered so far on these little engines.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I looked at the name of the seller and stopped there. "revolution-recycles" is actually revolution cycles. Don't buy from him.
Ok, I dont know why you recommend not buying from this guy but sounds like you have a good reason so I will get one from BGF if I decide to give one of them a try. Thanks for the heads up!

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok, I dont know why you recommend not buying from this guy but sounds like you have a good reason so I will get one from BGF if I decide to give one of them a try. Thanks for the heads up!
You're welcome. That guy has a history of ripping people off, being lazy, and having a bad reputation in general. He did this to my brother when he tried to buy 4 engine kits. Two kits were delivered within 3 weeks. Parts were missing, engines dinged, and had defective cylinders. My bro had to 'pull teeth' to get the parts shipped out and get the other two kits. It took nine weeks to get the other two kits.

That's probably one of the reasons why he closed shop a while ago and moved to Mexico from Tucson.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You're welcome. That guy has a history of ripping people off, being lazy, and having a bad reputation in general. He did this to my brother when he tried to buy 4 engine kits. Two kits were delivered within 3 weeks. Parts were missing, engines dinged, and had defective cylinders. My bro had to 'pull teeth' to get the parts shipped out and get the other two kits. It took nine weeks to get the other two kits.

That's probably one of the reasons why he closed shop a while ago and moved to Mexico from Tucson.
WOW.. I'm so glad you told me this, my time is valuable and money hard to get, aint got time to jack around with someone like that.....! Thanks again...!dnut

bjpru66

Mar 9, 2008
Arizona
Here is where you want to buy these engines.It is the Grubee and a great little engine.
These people are honest. I have bought many kits from them. They are located in tucson, Az

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
The jugs on these HT motors are aluminum, and the bore is plated with either chrome or nickel. Most MX bikes had this type of plating for years, until Nickl-silicone, and other modern coatings came out in the eighties i believe.

MM7

Jan 2, 2010
Texas
Well, I bought one of the steel sleeved engines from Boy Go Fast and I have had a little trouble with it. ( Chinese mfg. what can ya say?:-||) The steel sleeve was twisted inside the bore by about 3/10 ths of an inch, which has required that I take a file & my dremel to open things up. Well, I have a 'ported & polished' engine now. I am also having intermittant trbl with getting a consistant spark at the plug. Have changed the plug wire twice now and I'm waiting for a new coil to show up to see if I can get this ironed out. {I feel like Murphy is sitting on my shoulder} By the way does anyone out there know if or which type of coil could replace the Chinese one? I'd sure like to be able to go to my local lawn mower shop and be able to get one here in town. But I digress now......
Back to the sleeve, in my engine the steel was fairly thick ( about 1/4 inch or 5mm maybe) so I believe that once the rings 'bed' in, the engine should have a long life. [note I said 'should'] It goes without saying that a long life does not mean running the thing 200 rpm over red-line all the time or 'turbo-charging' the little guy.
Once I get mine running I will be able to comment more on the steel sleeve aspect. Just remember that these chinese engines are a 'pig in a poke' and it can make the difference if you have a seller that will help you out when you get that 'pig' every now and then.
Hope this helps,
Matt

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I looked at the name of the seller and stopped there. "revolution-recycles" is actually revolution cycles. Don't buy from him.
He is absolutely right about this vender....I heard nothing but bad things about him from people on this site....Dont go near him or you will loose bigtime.....
John-John