4 stroke break in procedure?

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i googled it and found varied results, from running it super hard to idling it, what is the best way to break in a 49cc 4 stroke? thankyou,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Idling definitely isn't the way to go. Engines get the least amount of lubrication at idle.
i figured, but riding it hard sounded bad to, i broke my 2 stroke in by running it super rich(13:1) and running it smoothly and slowly for 500kms, but this is a 4 stroke, so whats different?

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
4-strokes aren't as picky about break-in as 2-strokes. I've run them hard and taken it easy both, never really seen much difference either way.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
4 strokes need the same break in proceedures as 2 strokes.

Start the engine and let it warm for 30 seconds or so and then ride away gently for a minute until the engine gets a little heat in it.

Then, vary the throttle amount and engine speed.

Do NOT lug the engine down.
Do NOT rev it to the red line, at least until you have full operating temp.
Do NOT leave the engine idling for excessive amounts of time.
DO change the oil at the recommended break in interval.The break in oil in a four stroke is NASTY!!! Full of all kinds of stuff, like metal, rubber bits (I've seen it) and other assorted goodies.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
don't let it idle long and vary the throttle (I never felt any difference like when a 2stroke was broke-in)
agreed with the oil changes...
I changed mine every 100 miles till 500, then every 250
gonna do my 2750 mile change today :)

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I changed my oil after the first hour, it was already black. I did the oil every 100 miles for about the first 500 too, now I go about 150 miles. My little Subaru only holds a tiny amount of oil and oil is a lot cheaper than an engine.

Before you ride the bike, start the engine and bring it up to operating temp while slowly varying the throttle, don't over rev the engine, just go a little over idle then back to idle, then let it cool to room temp and you're ready to fire it up and ride. Start with short rides and get a little longer each time.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
don't let it idle long and vary the throttle (I never felt any difference like when a 2stroke was broke-in)
agreed with the oil changes...
I changed mine every 100 miles till 500, then every 250
gonna do my 2750 mile change today :)

every 100 miles? i do that daily! i hope the engine doesnt take much oil!

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
.shft.I have the R/S 4 stroke on a Staton kit. I don't get to ride much so I just turned 175 miles today. I am on my third oil change and will change again this weekend. Very quickly the oil gets a strong odor of gasoline. The last change was probably with 50 miles (probably 3hours use) and the oil was black had had the gas smell. I have seen other post of this forum from people having similar issues. I bought a plastic syringe at Wal-Mart and put plastic tubing on the end to "suck the oil out". I tried it first on a cold engine and it took awhile. Next time I waited until I came in from a ride, let it cool down some and then sucked it out. Worked great. I can change oil in less than 2 minutes. I use Castrol 10w30. You can get 8-9 oil changes out of a $$3.00 quart bottle so I will continue to change the oil often. Much cheaper than a new engine.

As far as break-in I have always heard not to run at a constant RPM. Needs to be varied. With the hills around here from day one it has been high power or idle pretty much. I never run at full throttle. On flat ground it will cruise at 20-22 mph on 1/2 to 2/3rd throttle and that is fast as I want to go. After a ride I always allow it to idle for 1 minute before I shut it down. Allows temperatures to stabilize (picked that up when I use to fly supercharged piston aircraft but it was 2 minutes for them).

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
and you really have to change the oil ever 5 hours? my honda atc 200cc i changed the oil every year! and it still ran mint for the 5 years i had it!, i rode for 3 hours a day 5 days a week after school,

and my honda g200 engine on my gocart/lawnmower thing i never changed the oil and it ran fine for 3 years until i sold it,

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
R/S says to change every 50 hours after first change so what I do is probably a lot of "overkill". I just ride a bunch of short trips (3-5 miles). Oil changes are cheap so I do them plus gas in the oil can't be good. If I rode alot I wouldn't change that often but I don't think I would go to 50 hours.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The Titan is a 4 stroke 50cc motor. Break in is around 250 miles or 10 hours of operation. Holds only around 8oz of Valvoline conventional motor oil. During break in, be nice and do not ride full throttle for extended periods of time. Be nice and throttle up and down varying engine speed often. Once break in time or miles is achieved, you must change the oil and check valve clearance. The oil will have a lot of glitter in it from break in and must be changed. Since there is no filter and does not hold much oil, check oil frequently and change it when it gets dirty. A quart of Valvoline 10w-30 or 10w-40 conventional motor oil is the oil to use and is good for 4ea oil changes. Synthetic oil is not recommended. Also, Valve clearance must be checked and valves must be adjusted in needed. Both of these are requirements to keep the 2 year warranty valid. After the oil change and valve check is done, then only requirement is to keep clean oil in the crankcase and also check valves again in 500 miles. After that, valve check and or adjustments only needs to be made once every 2000 miles or once every 2 years which ever comes first. So.. To sum it up.. You need to properly break in the motor, and change oil and check valve clearance. This is typical of any high performance 4 stroke engine with adjustable rockers or shims. The Titan has Adjustable rockers which are screw type and super easy to check and adjust. clearance should be .05mm cold. If these rules are observed, the Titan Engine should last forever. The Titan motor is that good !! Enjoy the ride !!

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
The Titan is a 4 stroke 50cc motor. Break in is around 250 miles or 10 hours of operation. Holds only around 8oz of Valvoline conventional motor oil. During break in, be nice and do not ride full throttle for extended periods of time. Be nice and throttle up and down varying engine speed often. Once break in time or miles is achieved, you must change the oil and check valve clearance. The oil will have a lot of glitter in it from break in and must be changed. Since there is no filter and does not hold much oil, check oil frequently and change it when it gets dirty. A quart of Valvoline 10w-30 or 10w-40 conventional motor oil is the oil to use and is good for 4ea oil changes. Synthetic oil is not recommended. Also, Valve clearance must be checked and valves must be adjusted in needed. Both of these are requirements to keep the 2 year warranty valid. After the oil change and valve check is done, then only requirement is to keep clean oil in the crankcase and also check valves again in 500 miles. After that, valve check and or adjustments only needs to be made once every 2000 miles or once every 2 years which ever comes first. So.. To sum it up.. You need to properly break in the motor, and change oil and check valve clearance. This is typical of any high performance 4 stroke engine with adjustable rockers or shims. The Titan has Adjustable rockers which are screw type and super easy to check and adjust. clearance should be .05mm cold. If these rules are observed, the Titan Engine should last forever. The Titan motor is that good !! Enjoy the ride !!

which engine is the titan? the one im getting is this one Motor Boys (the 4 stroke)

its 230 bucks and its withing driving distance so i dont need to ship or anything,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ok so i put on 80 kms yesterday, i started it and let it warm up, it bogs badly with the choke off so i keep it at half, i rode gentle for about 10 minutes then got going a bit faster, i got up to speed and held it for 5 seconds then slowed back down to like 20kph and went back up again, i did that for a few hours, then after a tank of gas i would drive it at high speeds for a minute or two then go back down to moderate and stay there then go back to high then to moderate then to slow and so on so on, now i changed the oil at 80kms and i just ride it normaly, keep in mind im in the city so i stop every 40 seconds at a light or stop sign anyways,

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
so seriously that, after helping moderate his forum and spending a couple THOUSAND hours doing it, he never even said a simple 'thank you' :(
(I am a simple guy, and little things like that go a long way !)
people here are a better class IMHO (^)

I go there rarely anymore...their loss, not mine laff

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
You shouldn't EVER ride with the choke on, especially during break-in. If you run the engine rich enough you're washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You shouldn't EVER ride with the choke on, especially during break-in. If you run the engine rich enough you're washing the oil off the cylinder walls.
well i have to? it wont run with the choke off, it bogs and stalls, but think about it, if the carb is tuned way to lean then with me choking it it should bring it back to normal mixture, besides i put 100kms on it so far and it runs mint! what else am i supposed to do?