Frame Fabrication

GoldenMotor.com

desheffler

May 16, 2015
Kentucky
In the next couple of weeks I will be ordering the materials to build a frame for a from scratch board tracker. A problem I've run into is figuring out what the minimum bend radius for a 1" OD, .120 walled mild steel tube is if filled with wet sand and pressed around a wood form, which would likely be made from a hardwood. The ghetto-ness of the method of bending I want to use is because I'm working with a rather limited budget and don't really have the money to even buy harbor freight's tube roller.

I've considered, and always disregarded, making the majority of the frame from square tubing and having no bends, but very angular joints that would be cut and welded back together. This would cut down on material costs and also make fabrication a lot simpler. Cutting and welding together joints could also be done with round tubing, but with added difficulty in ensuring everything is lined up properly.

I would prefer to use round tubing and bend the significant tubes for aesthetic reasons, but what is your all's opinion on the matter? Would it be horribly ugly to have a "board tracker" that departs from the classic look by having no bends in it? Would it be completely unacceptable to use square tubing?

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Desheffler
Sounds like you are on a tight budget-

unless you are looking to totally test your fabrication skills ---
I would recommend using a few cheap/free donor bikes for your build!!! less than cost of tubing and shipping!

chop/stretch GREAT/SOUND welding and gusset plates, bmx dropouts etc necessary
allowing you to spend $ on engine

GO FOR IT!!!

Last edited:

desheffler

May 16, 2015
Kentucky
Well, I can get all new tubing and plates, more than I need actually, for less than it would cost to get my hands on a donor bike. Ground up fabrication would also let me put whatever size engine I want into it; I already have a predator 212 I was planning on using.

I'm using Inventor to mock up a model of what I have in my head before I do any cutting on anything. Here's what I've got so far.

https://flic.kr/p/rcH17m

Last edited: