Problems with my new carburetor

GoldenMotor.com

ֹֹ_Tal_

Apr 3, 2015
Israel
Just got my new carburetor, a 14mm dellorto sha clone, i insatalled on my bike and took it to a test drive,
the idle is great, but i can feel my motor has now less power and its revs lower..
checked it without any air filter and got the same result,
even tryed to change the jet to the jet of the standart old NT carburetor and still same result..
what can be the problem? thanks guys!
:-||

http://www.dellortodirect.com/images/1515shacablech.gif

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
the inside of the delorto carb has a brass tube running up a down through it right next to the slide. this tube is your venturi, there are two holes in it. you need to widen up these holes, or add a third hole between them.
(word of warning: the proprietor of that site seems to have some beef with the owner of this forum. I am not trying to start anything by posting this, I could care less about this guys problems with whoever, but this guide on this carb is a good one regardless)

edit: heres a better link to less of a dickhead
SHA page

Last edited:

ֹֹ_Tal_

Apr 3, 2015
Israel
so the problem is that the mixture is not rich enough? if so i can just change only to
bigger jet instead of drilling , no?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
as I understand things (beware: I am not an expert I may be wrong) the dellorto SHA carb relies on this venturi tube AND the main jet to control fuel air mix (there is also an idle mixture adjustment screw, but thats for idle and fairly self explanatory) according the the guide I linked if your altidue is requiring a richer mix it may be better to add another hole than simply re-jet the carb.

the jet will control your maximum allowable amount of fuel for full throttle, but the holes in the tube meter the gas entering the engine further by using the throttle slide.

for example my SHA had a point in the throttle where the slide uncovered the top hole, at this point the bike would get a sudden increase in power (while accelerating hitting this point felt somewhat like shifting your gears but the bike was a single speed)

this is because the carb is leaning out the mix slightly as I increase throttle until the top hole is uncovered then the mix becomes rich again.

so assuming your engine has enough flow overall to deal, you mentioned that the carb has dropped your power so I am assuming that the engine does have the necessary flow, adding a third hole (or widening the bottom hole, which is a riskier idea you can cover the new hole, if widening doesn't work you need to rebuild your carb to go back) will remove this 'step' in throttle response, and when at full throttle you will have more gas entering the engine, you can think of this as allowing the carb to meter out the amount of fuel you have re-jetted for.

all of this having been said, before you do anything at all.
TAKE THE CARB OFF THE ENGINE AND LOOK INSIDE IT. when you pull the throttle double check that the top hole is uncovered, I managed to assemble mine once where the slide didn't move right, you may have done the same.

I made this bit red because I re-read this post and the super important bit is at the bottom. redness is easier than editing.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
it can, then again so can a few hundred feet of altitude.

before you do anything drastic compare the two jets to make sure they are different (there also tends to be quite a bit of wiggle room in the actual sizes of jets supplied with these parts from what I've read on here) if you have two the same it may be more worthwhile to purchase a pin-vise drill bit set in order to solder and re-drill your jets (from what I've read on here this method is generally considered much better than buying jets and trying to find the right one because you can just start small and drill a wider hole to re-jet the carb, saves some money that way.)

also considering that brass and solder are both very soft metals you probably only need the drill-bits not the pin vise itself to get the job done.

ֹֹ_Tal_

Apr 3, 2015
Israel
smaller jet will lean the mixture.. making another hole in the brass will rich the mixture..
so what to choose..? i live near the sea so almost zero altitude here..
thanks..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am at sea level and yes they run good.

A few hundred feet in altitude makes no difference.

I use drill bits to measure my jets.
I Concur.
Several thousand feet above sea level will certainly impact carburetor tuning but not few hundred.

I also agree that jet size, as offered by many aftermarket sellers is nebulous at best. There seems to be no real standarization. Using a known index, such as drill bits is the only sure way of determining what you have, or what you need. Almost without exception carburetors will come to you with a rich setting necessitating going leaner, smaller jet size, than stock for best performance.

Tom

ֹֹ_Tal_

Apr 3, 2015
Israel
the thing is that i use the jet of the NT carburetor that worked quite well before.. and with this new carburetor not so much..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The jet size needs to be matched to the carburetor. Just because it worked well in another carb doesn't mean that jet size is right for every carburetor.

Each carb will have its own characteristics. You'll have to match the jet size to work with the carb you're using. There's no one magic bullet (jet size) that will work with all carburetors.

If you don't solder and drill your jets you'll need to buy an assortment but either way experimentation is the only way to find the right combination for your engine/carb/ riding style/terrain/rider weight/ etc. etc. Many factors come into play when tuning.

Tom

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
okay so here is a much better link than the one I posted before that is talking about the same stuff (beware this is writen by someone who is trying to prove how cool they are, just ignore that and look at the facts.)
Delorto SHA