KC builds a HUFFY!?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am not a fan of motorizing Huffy bikes for the very reason I have this one but it is a nice steel frame with rack in near new shape.

I took this motorized bicycle in for repair as it toasted the stock coaster brake hub before it was even broken in as Huffy's typically do, and as I looked the rest of the bike over the motor wasn't mounted properly, the controls were a mess as was the electrical and tensioner.
I suggested the customer just buy a new motorized bicycle from me.
he wanted to know what I'd give him for it and since I couldn't even start it and don't take old stuff I didn't build in anyway I told him no but he was insistent so I gave him $100 off a new build for the Huffy.

The rim and spokes were good so I bought a heavy duty coaster brake hub with threads for both sprockets and the band brake.
Had the hub installed and put in a HD tube and liner on the back.

I Remounted the engine, upgraded the electrical, put a front brake and dual pull lever on it, a new 7-speed rotary shifter on the left, foam grips, and redid all the cables.

It came out nice but it took longer to do than building a new bike from new parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I am not a fan of motorizing Huffy bikes for the very reason I have this one but it is a nice steel frame with rack in near new shape.

The rim and spokes were good so I bought a heavy duty coaster brake hub with threads for both sprockets and the band brake.
Had the hub installed and put in a HD tube and liner on the back.

That's not a coaster brake hub.That is a freewheel hub. ;)

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Not bad for fixing someone else's screw ups. Let's hope this doesn't start a trend of people who live near you trying to sell their wore out bikes to you. We love your builds KC. It would be a shame if you became a used bike dealer. LOL

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(smiles at Huffy) We do Wally often, I just won't buy bikes there ;-}.

Thanks Vience, I was aware of the rack to seat post joint cracking problem and looked at every seem on the thing and it's good so far or I never would have bought it even for $100.

Not bad for fixing someone else's screw ups. Let's hope this doesn't start a trend of people who live near you trying to sell their wore out bikes to you. We love your builds KC. It would be a shame if you became a used bike dealer. LOL
hehehe, naw, I don't have enough room for the new stuff as I build and much prefer building all new cool things ;-}

Speaking of which that is too ironic...

I had a guy in this morning that had bought a used motorized bicycle for $100 on Craigs and his problem on the phone was it 'runs for 10 minutes or so and then just dies'.
Pfftt, he never started that thing let alone ever ride it.

I should have a taken some pictures because it wasn't worth $100 as scrap metal and not even operational.
I couldn't help him but I should have taken some pics.
Busted frame, busted back wheel, busted clutch, the worst front mount I have ever seen, etc etc.

I wouldn't give him anything off even this Huffy for it as I have a bone yard full of trash like that.

On the other end of the scale, the side I like, I have been working with a new local customer off and on for a week that wanted a 'Big Red' 4-stroke 3-speed but he doesn't want the barnacle on the top bar yet still wanted a full back rack too.

After a few other tank options I pitched him the build I have been dreaming to build, a totally custom 4-stroke 3-speed build from the unpainted Grubee GT2A-S with 2.5L in-frame gas tank up.

He is dropping the check off and is picking his wheel set color from here today.

http://www.americasbikecompany.com/...el_Set_with_Shifter_p/x-wheel-shimano3set.htm

When the wheel set comes I have an auto body shop yet again right around the corner from me that will paint and seal the frame and all the other parts I take up which is all the mounting hardware and covers too.

Of course he can go like all black wheels and paint everything else the color of a paint sample the exact color and shade he wants, that's the fun part of my job.

But back to this topic...
The huffy wasn't too bad to restore but as long I have customers looking for new custom builds I avoid them like the plague ;-}

tomrock

May 25, 2014
Arizona
I built a similar bike. Huffy Nel Russo. Rode it for a week to break it in and today I noticed a crack on both sides of the frame below the rear rack strut. I have built many Huffy's and never had a problem until now. This is the last Huffy I will ever build. Be sure to check your bikes if you own a huffy, especially if it is of the same style frame as the Nel Russo.

:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The welded rack stay is the culprit here. The welding changes the metal and makes it vulnerable to work hardening, which leads to cracking under engine vibration.
Be aware of this all you home frame building and modifying people!
There's a REASON the high-end bikes are so costly.
HEAT TREATING AFTER WELDING.
And don't think that having a nice frame made from cro-moly or some other steel alloy gives you a pass, as they are even MORE vulnerable to improper welding.
And finally NEVER weld on aluminum bicycle frames unless you are a fully qualified welder who knows the metal in question.
That way lies pain and expense.