My Honda GX35 had Gas Tank envy

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Got my new baby put together and running today!! Unfortunately the gas tank on this thing is bitty! Like a little over .6 Liters small! I was like YIKES, thats a lot of stopping to fuel up. So I went searching for an aftermarket tank to replace the factory tank, no such luck. Step two look for a gas can that I can mount to the bike... had a little more luck but not much. All the tanks I was finding would need some kind of mounting bracket, are hellishly expensive or they have a petcock that I would have to plug up.

I did consider the Reverse mounting tank on bikeberry but again, petcock. Ugg. Then there's this little guy. Problem is I'm not sure if its an auxiliary tank, or if its meant to be a replacement tank. Or if it even matters.

So this is a shout out to anyone who may have used this tank, please explain it to my like I'm 5. I'm sick and thinking breaks my brain.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
depending how the engine is mounted you could keep the tank you have an use another
tank like the one on your 2stroke kit with a fuel line running from the second tank to the main tank, when the main tank is low open a fuel tap (petcock) to refill as needed (as long as the secondary tank is higher than your main tank this will work)

it would mean you keep a somewhat cleaner setup meaning no messing around trying to find another tank that'll fit in place of the stock tank.

all you need to do is punch another hole where the 2 fuel lines exit/enter your main tank
an run the secondary tanks line to that hole you can use a one an a half inch long automotive metal brake line (why? because it's dirt cheap an the perfect size an it works!) as a fuel line fitting slide it into the hole an connect the secondary fuel line to it.

either way good luck with what ever you decide on

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Engine is mounted over the rear wheel, I was hoping to avoid cutting holes and running my own lines but its looking like I may have no other choice.

Engine orientation

Bonus, my Chicken wants to go for a ride!

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Or you can do what I do with my gx35. I carry around a 30oz. msr fuel bottle. I might be adding a back rack to mine and plumbing in the ole 1 gallon red gas can though.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Right now we are carrying a 1 gal in the front basket. I've decided that for the sake of carrying capacity I'm going to have a local fabrication place make a side mounted rack for something like this. That way the basket is open for the chicken or groceries.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Don't you have a diaphragm carb on that bike? I don't believe gravity matter in your case so you could mount a tank pretty much wherever you want.

pentzrd

Sep 23, 2012
California
I looked al over for a tank then found a new gocart tank on e-bat for $35 shippen to me.

It is a 5Qt with sight lube, its great I just pull into the gas station an tell the clerk I want to get a fill up.

It take a little work to install but very much worth the effort.

I don't know how to post pictures so if someone can help with that I will be glad to post pictures.

Last edited: