You pick what it is.

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
My first motorized bicycle (HERE) sadly, was run into a car and totaled out by my significant other's son. R.I.P.

So what to do other than build a new one right? As much as I wanted to build another 29er because the stock gear ratio was something to behold without tweaks....... The Onyx just proved to be too much of a hassle when it came to mounting, and modding just to make it run. So it was only logical to find a different bike to build. Not only that, but finding parts for 29ers is tough, and when you do, it squeezes your wallet.

I happen to be picky about the style of the frame I want to ride. So it was a few weeks of looking and looking, and looking. Countless hours at bike shops, department stores, and searching craigslist, Ebay, etc. Then I found it. Even though I had been to Walmart (3 different locations) several times, I decided to look at their website. That's when I saw it. The beach cruiser that had the right style to fit me. I fell in love with the lines, but for the price I knew it had to be junk.

A quick punch of the credit card, three day wait, and there it was on the porch. Opened the box, and sure enough. A big pile of metal hardly worth recycling. However, the frame was a thing of beauty.

First order of business. Monark Springer fork, then convert the bottom bracket to Euro, and add a decent 3-piece. Throw on some old school Bat wing caged pedals. Keep the bars, just flip them and trim accordingly. Ditch the seat, add a super reinforced layback. Throw on a nana sadle, and sissy bar. Now we're talking! Hit up one of my MTB sponsors for a cool looking front disc............. Wait a second...........

I still need an engine.
I was lucky enough to have a good friend find me one one craigslist. A nice Skyhawk with a CNS carb. That's gone now. Oh, in case anyone is wondering what "CNS" stands for, I did some digging and have the answer. CNS stands for "Can Never Start".

The engine needed a lot of work and tuning, a working carb, etc. Many thanks go out to Donavan321, This guy knows his China girls inside and out. I wouldn't even be idling without his help. Let alone hitting 43mph. Though him and I aren't quite seeing eye to eye at the moment, he's a man of China girl knowledge and know how.

I still have a long way to go on this build. I am only half way there. New exhaust in a few weeks, new paneling being made, upgrading the magneto, etc., etc. I am also (currently) Ratting out a new seat pan nana style, and customizing out my own sissy springs. Also working on rolling a new CDI. I see this as about half way there. When the wallet allows it, I am also fabing a peanut tank to fit the sexy backbone on this frame.

Let me know what you think, as this is only my second motorized bicycle build, but one of hundreds of bicycle builds.

Thanks guys, and thanks Donavan321!

.flg.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Very original. I hope your SO's son is unhurt. Tell us more about the cold air intake. Did you put some foam inside it for a filter?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That's real, real good.

And I agree with you; a fine frame.

Your SO's son wrecked your first one? This riddle sounds pretty easy; he was backing up too fast and hadn't checked his mirrors properly, right?

Not that I'm really trying to beat up on him. It's just that this is a common error among our 'adult' children.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Very original. I hope your SO's son is unhurt. Tell us more about the cold air intake. Did you put some foam inside it for a filter?
He's good. Had to get a few stitches, and a few more to his ego, but he's fine. Did quite a bit of damage to the car as well. All is being taken care of though.

As for the intake, I could not (for the life of me) find any hosing that was 1 3/4" with a direct elbow. Only 2". I ended up finding a 2" plumbing elbow that had an id of 1 3/4" behind the 2" flare. I simply cut it off. As for the filter inside, I took two of the stock circular mesh filter retainers, and dremeled the outer flange off and pressed the filter in between them. Secured them to the inlet, and this gave me a good surface, and a good seal to secure my elbowed hose to with enough strength to hold up to the pressure of the hose clamp.

After that, I drilled a small hole in the elbowed hose just underneath the retaining rings, and ran an overflow tube into a nice little container (miniature Jack Daniels whiskey bottle). Keeping true to the hot rod style. LOL.

I wasn't quite sure where to place this post. Beach frame with a bobber style to it, then more of a cafe type of build. It's built in true rat fashion for sure, but doesn't exactly fit that bill either.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The 'saw blade & skull' rotor is cool. Where did you find that?
Overall a sure candidate for 'rat' styling. Good work. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
The 'saw blade & skull' rotor is cool. Where did you find that?
Overall a sure candidate for 'rat' styling. Good work. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
You can get them HERE at Moment Indistries. It's one of the MTB companies I still ride for. Formally known as "DirtyDog MTB". Just as soon as I get a hold of a quill adapter, and a 22.2mm to 31.8mm handlebar shim, I'll be running my Reaper stem as well.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Working on a new mod for my Frankenstein ride.
Hitting bumps and cracks at pedal speed is ok. At 40mph plus......
There is a reason why I stopped riding my hardtail 650 bobber. I had bought some F&R suspension sissy bars, and they were junk. So were the ones with the under saddle springs. So I came up with this.

This is just the first stage. I have a lot more cutting, grinding, etc., to do yet, and need to change to some softer springs. Either way, this is rat rodding at it's finest! LOL