First Build... Micargi Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
Here's my project so far....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-C7D5hqhsBiaE9jX1ExWEFvejA/edit?usp=sharing

added front and rear caliper brakes and switched out the wide cruiser handlebars for a pair of Wald 803 bars,

Venice Motor Bikes 66cc engine.

Just need to seal the gas tank, (already had a little rust when it came), install the chain, tank and fuel line, and trim and route cables.

Any comments and suggestions welcome!

I'm already planning on upgrading to HD wheels with sturmey archer drum brake hubs as soon as I get some spare $$, but the calipers seem to work okay just pedaling around.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Toss the stock cheese hardened chain and get some quality HD chain.
First mod I do on any mtb. (followed by tack welding the tensioner if used)

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
Thanks! How can I tell which chain size would be best? Is there an old thread about this?

Also,

I'm not sure I should be trusted with a welder, so I was thinking of trying one of these arch chain tensioners...

I ordered my rear rack from this site (custommotoredbicycles), and was very pleased...
The tensioner is secured with U bolts, I would probably use some old inner tube between the bolt and the stays.

Thoughts?

This looks all too familiar: zpt

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
good choice on bars!I use those also and like them a lot better.The rack looks to be off a Schwinn.nice looking bike.kmc bmx chain is good.410 or 415(some kits come with good chain some don't)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ElGordo,
You've built a vrey good looking machine. Congratulations.

Your choice on the chain tensioner is a good one. Bridging the seat and chain stay is the best way to go if a tensioner is necessary. Make sure the tensioner wheel is aligned with the chain path. That might require a little tweaking to the bracket but having the wheel/sprocket aligned with the chain is critical.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

tom

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Well, I got it to turn over anyway, but my bicycle chain tool is just big enough to bend the pins of the chinese 415 chain, not remove them, so I'll go to my local moto shop tomorrow to buy a chain tool and take out a few links.

Definitely ordering the arch style tensioner as soon as I get paid. That POS from the kit isn't worth the scrap it's made from.

The engine sounded beautiful for the 30 seconds it ran before the chain jumped. nice quiet purr...

Can't wait to break it in!

THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for all your help guys!!! Couldn't have gotten this far without help from this forum.

FYI, I'm breaking in the engine with about 30:1 mix, left the carb needle set at the middle notch, and gapped my plug to .29

I'll post about my experience getting the drive chain aligned and engine dialed in...(I think I may need to flip the sprocket to make the sure the chain can clear my tire).spr.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Stock tensioners will work with little maintenance other than making sure they are tight and not vibrating toward the spokes. To keep the chain from jumping, the tensioner bracket may have to be bent/angled to align the chain properly. That being said it's always good to have a better designed one as an option if you have the funds. The arch one from Lynn over at Custom looks like a good option. Good luck with your build.

Enjoy the ride! usflg

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
FULLY OPERATIONAL!dance1

I replaced the chain with #41 from my local small engine shop and then
I cruised around the neighborhood for a total of about an hour today. hit about 24 mph at 3/4 throttle on flat ground. but the speedometer is only giving intermittent and usually inaccurate readings.... Any tips on fixing this?

I moved the CDI up underneath the gas tank, and flipped the sprocket, as well as dremmeled a little off the inside of the sprocket and the clutch cover where the chain had hit a little.

The brakes were a little sketchy at first, but I adjusted them as well, added some loctite to a bolt that had come loose in back. The coaster brake cover no longer rubs on the sprocket now, and the wheel is better aligned so I feel better about using the coaster brake now too.

Next project is to modify the rear fender to fit...

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
Stripped Engine Mount!! Doh!!

I was getting ready to take my bike for her first longer trip (10 miles each way) but first I wanted to tighten the engine mounting bolts because the engine kept shifting over to the left. I tightened it down real good, as I watched my expensive JNM mounts get destroyed even more... (The JNM rubber mount was drilled to a narrower bolt spacing than I have and it got all torn...)

THen the bolt started turning instead of the nut. I wiggled the bolt a little with my hands, then tried the left side bolt, the left rear pulled out with barely any turning... the right wasn't far behind.

So I plan to pull everything off the engine and take it in to get bored out to 1/4" 20 threads and replace all mounting hardware...

Can I use 1/4" 20 bolts with the SBP front mount? anyone tried this?
(http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=85&osCsid=r5esvo1od45s6g7kej4p4mg333)

ALso Has anyone tried cutting strips of this Sorbothane rubbery stuff and wrapping a layer around the frame before mounting? I know vibration isolation is a touchy subject around here, but I am on the pro-vibration isolation side so far....
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/SORBOTHANE-...S_DJ_Turntable_Parts_Accs&hash=item563d68d5bd)

THanks for all your help guys. I've been waiting for the first thing to break so I can tinker some more. 225 miles or so so far and she's running good though!!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
How do you like your Micargi ? I have the Micargi Huntington Streched Cruiser and I love it parts are Quality and styling Fantastic.

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
Yeah, I have been really happy with the bike's quality, the stock wheels have held up very well so far. I bet the stretched cruiser is better for a motorized bicycle build though, I feel a little close to the handlebar (Mine's a Tahiti model I think), and plan to switch out my seatpost for a layback post from Pat at Sportsman. Also I wish my frame had the brake mounts for V brakes, I have seen them on some other Micargi models. I plan on upgrading to drum brakes eventually, but have to save up for fancy heavy duty wheels.

dsword75

Feb 26, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Bummer, it doesn't appear on that link anymore. gunna msg him and see if he still carries it. May just be able to go to ace and make it myself. thank you so much tho. was racking my brain trying to come up with a D.I.Y without welding as I don't have one yet.