My "1900's tribute, build

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Mr B What did you use as clamps on your cross bars? Those look hefty and GOOD! Matterof fact the whole thing looks great! :) As far as the Cycle Truck bars I have are concerned I have no idea if they are actually off a C-T or not but the dont look like the ones you have there and not really like anything I've seen before. They are almost, kind of, sorta like the old rema horn drop bars from a 10 speed but Errr... Diffferent. I'll get some pictures up later this PM. Im late for and oil change on my car ( ( runs out of house! ) :eek:
The bars are standard 1960’s Schwinn- They've been extended under the length of the grips.

The brass ferrules are something I picked up at a flea market, I think they originally may have been for furniture legs ( ? )

The cross bar clamps are 7/8” seat post clamps with the brake levers welded underneath.

The cross bar is 1/2” black pipe (gas lighting from my 1850’s house- Repurpose, Ha!)

-Kirk

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Simple! if you have some welding skills
1. make a I.D. (inter diamiter)plug that is long enough to support both sides of the bars at the weld point 3" 1 1/2" on both sides. the plug will insure that the extention is straight too.
2. get a pair of discarded bars and cut a section of desired length from the straight bar.
3. weld,grind and refine smothness by sanding.
My bars have a 5" extention as I did not want to be pulling the end of the bars into my waiste when turning so messure when sitting on the bike to desired length.
Tell the truth I really like the Huffy bars you already have just extend them, if you don't like em after words the you'll have a set for another build or spare.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Mr. B, you are an inspiring re-purposer (new word). I like the way you use old stuff. As velo would say, we can all learn by emulating you!

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Truckd, those bars are extended the length of the grips. A seat post exactly slipped over the bars. I may use all or most of the ideas you all have given me, and have two pairs, on a flip over set for those occasions when I fog board tracking! Har Har

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Velo is a Dammnnn Good!! emulator too! I always say "if ? you are going to emulate learn from the best" Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! < LOL!
And yes they are,Chroming is expensive and the grips cover just past the weld by 1/4" plus I have to install a clucth lever and throttle assembly, thinking about adding a cross bar after all is said and done Ya know the Bmx styled set from back in the day

Last edited: